Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boot help

Re: Boot help

Good/well made boots require a break-in period, including wearing around the house, around town, and then some smaller hikes. Good brands say break-in can take up to 50mi of hiking! Just because they hurt first off doesn't mean they're crap!

If you buy a pair of good boots and expect them to perform perfectly on first hike/hunt, your feet will be killing you.

I'm upgrading to Kenntrek this year and need to buy them ASAP as they have a long break in period.

I find how a company backs up their product is more important than where it's made. I bought a pair of hiking boots from a company that said lifetime guarantee on waterproof and workmanship. After about 20km of hikes a seam split and they were not longer waterproof nor usable. They elected to not replace them so I no longer buy anything to do with the company.

Check out the LL Bean hikers. I got a pair and they're my favorite boots. The toe box is very comfy. I no longer have bruised and banged up toes after hiking downhill...

Where do you buy Lowas? A friend and member here works for the province in insect control and is out in the field most days of the year and a very active boot-powered alpine hunter and highly recommends Lowa boots.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tried on some scarpa kenisess yesterday and they felt amazing. I will prob spring for the scarpas great fit and not to stiff!!

Have had great luck with Asolo boots, powermatics to be exact. Have had 3 pairs. Brother had great success with the asolo gtx. Tried the lowa gtx for a year, it was a painful experience. Think a lot of people have very different feet, also some people dont get out much to see the difference.

I love Meindl Perfekt Hunter/Hiker boots that Cabelas sells. Have had about 7 pairs over 20 some yrs as I like to have a new pair, a mid-wear pair and a worn out pair of each around. All are made in Germany and I see no difference between them as per quality, the last pair bought a about 2 yrs ago. All have given me excellent service and they get worn about 350 days per year, the exception being when I need Muck boots or packs.

I also have one pair of Meindl Islanders. They give me heel blisters when climbing steep stuff and bother the bottoms of my feet...just don’t fit the same and aren’t a match for my foot. They too are German made boots from about 5 yrs ago. I wear them to town some for walking on the flat. Anyway, quite a difference in fit from the Perfekt line. Buy what fits your foot. No matter what brand or style. I have no break-in required on the Perfekt line, and can’t break-in the Islanders. Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 03-12-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Have had great luck with Asolo boots, powermatics to be exact. Have had 3 pairs. Brother had great success with the asolo gtx. Tried the lowa gtx for a year, it was a painful experience. Think a lot of people have very different feet, also some people dont get out much to see the difference.
    x2. Gave myself plantar fasciitis breaking in the Lowa Tibet GTX. Sturdy boot, but it's like walking on f*ckin concrete! The soles are stiff and have zero give. Stock insole was complete crap too. Just a piece of felt. I even got custom orthotics from Kintec and that didn't really help. Good thing it was 100% covered otherwise i would've been pissed to be out $500 for those.

In the end the best thing was a pair of SOLE insoles. Made them bearable. I still keep them around as they are OK for short hikes. But anything longer than a couple of KM i'm sticking with my trusty old Meindls. Which sucks, because I wanted a stiffer boot for the high country and side hilling, but it wasn't going to work. I'm glad i didn't take them on my last big hike up the mountain.

I still don't get how guys wear the mountaineering style boots that are 100% stiff and can be used with the step-in crampons. Just don't get it. Your foot bends. The boot does not. Something's gotta give, no?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    x2. Gave myself plantar fasciitis breaking in the Lowa Tibet GTX. Sturdy boot, but it's like walking on f*ckin concrete! The soles are stiff and have zero give. Stock insole was complete crap too. Just a piece of felt. I even got custom orthotics from Kintec and that didn't really help. Good thing it was 100% covered otherwise i would've been pissed to be out $500 for those.

In the end the best thing was a pair of SOLE insoles. Made them bearable. I still keep them around as they are OK for short hikes. But anything longer than a couple of KM i'm sticking with my trusty old Meindls. Which sucks, because I wanted a stiffer boot for the high country and side hilling, but it wasn't going to work. I'm glad i didn't take them on my last big hike up the mountain.

I still don't get how guys wear the mountaineering style boots that are 100% stiff and can be used with the step-in crampons. Just don't get it. Your foot bends. The boot does not. Something's gotta give, no?
    Cannot wrap my head around that either. These scarpas seem to have a good combination of flexibility and support. I just might spring for them this week. My feet get plane PISSED at me for 2 days after just walking the dogs with this boot. Cut my losses. To bad it was a 500 dollar loss. BOOTS FOR SALE.

I've had two pairs of Lowa's. Renegades were comfy as hell but fell apart quickly in the steep country. Uplanders are equally comfy and a lot more durable, but as the name suggests they are not a "mountain" boot.

Per my hunting partners recommendation I am now wearing a pair of Hanwag Tatra, an in betweener boot. They are smoking comfortable and proving quite durable so far. More leather and less seems is best.

Brad