Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear primer!!

Spring bear primer!!

Time to get some hunting content on here to beat back the winter blues. Old or new pictures and stories to get us in the mood for the spring bear hunt. All you oldtimers who've been here on HBC since the doors opened....post up an old hunt! Theres tons of folks who weren't here the first time you posted and would probably love to see it!!

I'll try and get the ball rolling and forgive me if I can't recall all the details just right. It was mid april 2006 I believe, and my pards and I had a couple grizz draws out the McGregor area. We had scouted areas the previous fall and talkin to some locals were told the road gets kept open all winter due to the logging goin on....GREAT...we'll be able to get in early in the spring!!!! WRONG! All logging stopped out there that year and our attempt to get to km 86 died in 4 ft of snow at km 21 The chunk of real estate we were able to access hadn't looked promising for grizz, but we figured to give it a shot anyway. Cruising around, looking for a promising area to glass, i suddenly spot something VERY black on a knoll about 500 yds into and old block. All bino's go up and we're all pretty surprised to see a pretty good size blackie sitting on his rump enjoying the sunshine. We're all quite surprised as this is the earliest we've ever seen a blackie in the spring. HBC member "tank" grabs the vid camera and hangs back 20 yards while his dad and I begin our stalk. Lots of rolling terrain allows us to easily close to a comfortable 200 yds, allthough in truth this fellow was still so groggy from his winter sleep we could have walked right up on him any of the number of times he laid over and stretched out in the sun. So were all set up, Tanks dad is on his bipod and we're having a real good look at him....general consensus was that this guy would be a solid 6' from nose to tail. "that'll work" says Tanks's dad. Right about this point the bear gives a mighty yawn and stretch and rolls back to his feet, graciously offering his shoulder! One shot, tight to the shoulder with a 140 tsx out of a 7mm mag and the bear crumples and rolls down off his knoll!! Not the Grizz we were looking for, but a nice consolation prize!!!

Thats tank on the right, and me in the top pic doin my best skidder imitation. We were close on the guess, as the boar turned out to be 6' 1" nose to tail "in the round"

Okay....theres story 1!! I will post more but don't leave me hanging HBC, specially you folks who've been here as long as I have. Re-post the old bear huntin stories for all the new members who never got to see them the first time!!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring bear primer!!

Awesome story and pics! I’ve been curious about those drag harnesses- I should get one. There’s nothing like seeing a bear from a distance where there’s an opportunity to observe and plan a stalk. I’ve got an 11 day stretch off work in May and my son and I will spend 5 days on the North Island. I can’t wait.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

wanderer, if you have a buddy in industry that can get you an old Padded fall arrest harness with the D ring on the back...I'd go that route. That store bought piece of crap in the pic left me with nasty strap shaped bruises for a week....and the rope snapped about 1/2 way back to the truck.....I would not reccomend it!!! HaHa!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    wanderer, if you have a buddy in industry that can get you an old Padded fall arrest harness with the D ring on the back...I'd go that route. That store bought piece of crap in the pic left me with nasty strap shaped bruises for a week....and the rope snapped about 1/2 way back to the truck.....I would not reccomend it!!! HaHa!
    Try a tree stand harness they are better

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Thanks, I’ll watch for a used fall arrest harness on line.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I've always found dragging a heck of a lot more work. Skin, quarter, and put on your back. You're going to have to skin and quarter it anyways.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Awesome story! Thanks for posting it up!!

On the topic of dragging, I envy those who can do it. I can't.

Thanks for sharing. A nice read for a sunny Sunday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I've always found dragging a heck of a lot more work. Skin, quarter, and put on your back. You're going to have to skin and quarter it anyways.
    x2....dragging sucks balls

^x3 on that