Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Srupp's First Aid Thread

Re: Srupp's First Aid Thread

I feel you did a geat job Steve. Your years of actual experience worked in your favour. For the vast majority of hunters here it will not be a moon shot to deal with whatever issue comes up. Even having to med

Well done Steve, your years of actual experience favored your presentation. In reality it's not a moon shot, most fellas will only deal with minor treatment. As you know even big trauma bleeding isn't too complicated when you follow the rules. Hell I medivaced.... funny story, sorry. Russ and I took a fella out of central coast who was picking berries, had his dog with him. A few miles from his village. Bark, bark, here comes the dog with a sow grizz 2 big cubs. Long story short the sow lays a lickin on him. Injuries are fractured radius, ulna l arm where the bear bit him. some gaping wounds across belly and flank from claws and bites, no fracture L femur, but as with other grizzly attacks I've done the skull cap gets ripped off which is where the big blood loss comes and tough to get a handle on. Usually lots of kling wrapped tight works. When it bleeds thru don't take it off just wrap more. Of course this guy had a couple litres of normal saline iv and some morphine, good to go. Now the funny part.

Steven, I competely agree that Level 2 or 3 OFA is designed for the workplace.
    As someone who has over 20 years of Level 2, I know that much time is spent during the course on paperwork and what is important for both the attendant and the employer to do to be compliant with WCB regulations.
    For example, if a worker falls off a crappy old ladder and breaks his or her leg, there are many questions that will have to be answered (and rightly so). If your hunting buddy falls off the camper roof, there won't be a site visit by the WCB inspection/compliance officer.

OFA courses aren't the best for wilderness first aid I agree, but I can say that I've gained a lot of knowledge after all these years of Level 2, some of which I have used out in the bush.

Decent courses for the basics I think.

It is important to "adapt" to the situation in my opinion. Most especially in the wilderness. The more knowledge and experience, the more one can adapt (in my opinion).

Great threads. More to come I hope!

So we are flying him to Victoria the jubilee receiving, alls good. We wheel him thru triage heading for the trauma unit. No shit, 2 government issue CO'S( and I have huge respect for CO'S) in fact a decade before all this I was on car in Langford right below the CO'S office. Corporal Smirrel. So Russ was on the foot end of the cot me pushing and 2 CO'S with a lot of gold, not reg constables, step out with theyre note pads and say "hold on a min fellas" We say sorry boys we will chat after this guy sees the doc. We come out and the co gos the normal, whars your name, wheres your base, what time.what happenened blah blah blah. Then he goes what did the bear look like, My partner Russ raises both his arms fingers outstretched and roooaar. NOT a crack of a smile from the two CO chaps. I almost pissed myself and a bunch of other paramedics in line for triage howeled. I stepped up to say we didn't see any bear. We picked him up in Bella Bella 2 hrs after the incident. That was one of the funnier times in 35 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm IMO..level 3 is for workplace..lots of concentrating on WCB standards, totaly different than remote wilderness emergency with limited first aid suplies" I would be looking for a emergency outdoor wilderness survival first aid course.or even advanced course..not level 3 ofa"..imo.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Experienced instructor...field experience not book learning....big difference. .
    My hardest decisions in this presentation. .what to include. What not to.keep it simple but informnative. .
    The addition of urine output is designed for ICU "not wilderness first aid..too may variables..it realy was challenging to keep it at the length I did.
    Happy to answer pm questions on bleeding..and feedback on worthwhile? For couple more.fractures..care of unconscious victim.hypotermia. .heat exhaustion. Heat stroke.cardiac.chest pains..etc
    If there is interest.if the bleeding presentation was at the correct level, audience..
    Cheers
    Steven
    Didn't realize that. I'll look for a wilderness one then. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TARCHER View Post
    So we are flying him to Victoria the jubilee receiving, alls good. We wheel him thru triage heading for the trauma unit. No shit, 2 government issue CO'S( and I have huge respect for CO'S) in fact a decade before all this I was on car in Langford right below the CO'S office. Corporal Smirrel. So Russ was on the foot end of the cot me pushing and 2 CO'S with a lot of gold, not reg constables, step out with theyre note pads and say "hold on a min fellas" We say sorry boys we will chat after this guy sees the doc. We come out and the co gos the normal, whars your name, wheres your base, what time.what happenened blah blah blah. Then he goes what did the bear look like, My partner Russ raises both his arms fingers outstretched and roooaar. NOT a crack of a smile from the two CO chaps. I almost pissed myself and a bunch of other paramedics in line for triage howeled. I stepped up to say we didn't see any bear. We picked him up in Bella Bella 2 hrs after the incident. That was one of the funnier times in 35 yrs
    Lmao..yup that's Russ..probably big ear to ear smile/ grin happening..

Facial lacerations are kinda a different story..a little blood on/from the face goes a long way..usually not as bad as it looks..with mechanism of injury being unknown sub..grizzly scalp torn back..ya can get messy and more blood. where and how deep is important with facial trauma..
    Geez i would have loved to be there when Russ did his best grizzly I'm at at ion. .too funny..
    Just trying to help out fellow hunters..
    Srupp

Thanks Steve, you know Russ. It was so official and of course both us late in our career with the *** you attitude, and the straight faced younger Co gets to what did the bear look like???

Thanks T..going to be laughing about that one for years..so much better knowing both You and Russ..priceless..
    Almost peeeed" laughing..only done by senior staff..confident in their place in life and work..
    Steven

good stuff. My work recently offered to pay for me to take level 2 first aid so I jumped on the opportunity. my main reason was not so much for being the first aid guy at work but to have these skill for when I'm out playing in the woods with my aging hunting /fishing partners .

OFA..refers to Ocupational first aid..industry..proper application of standardized splints..where wilderness first aid is using what is around..applying principles adapting..and overcoming...can never be too educated but the course is long..expensive..and lots of the course is strict application of standardized rules regulations..WCB..
    I don't have a better idea of wilderness courses available..i never thought about them.
    Steven

thank you for the great information steven. much appreciated.