Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Time.

Re: Turkey Time.

I am VERY excited for our upcoming turkey hunt. My son (nine) has been begging me for an overnight hunt/trip. I figured a perfect opportunity would be a turkey hunt, it's nice and controlled/safe and a good opportunity for a nine year old boy to feel involved. My deal with him is "He calls 'em, and I shoot 'em" We've been practising his turkey talk with the box call. I was able to borrow a handful of my friends decoys and some gear and we'll pop out for a couple weekends. My father in law lent me his Remington 11-48 from 1952. It had some rust issues but i was able to but some effort into cleaning it all up and took it out on this past weekend with the boy to get a feel for it. Yep, stoked.

The Turkeys are gobbleing. While out spotting for critters yesterday, I heard some a few miles from here. This morning, I awoke to Turkey gobbles....spring has arrived.

Last year the gobbles came early, March 09. This years first gobbles are closer to the norm coming on March, 17.

Quote Originally Posted by montec assassin View Post
    I am VERY excited for our upcoming turkey hunt. My son (nine) has been begging me for an overnight hunt/trip. I figured a perfect opportunity would be a turkey hunt, it's nice and controlled/safe and a good opportunity for a nine year old boy to feel involved. My deal with him is "He calls 'em, and I shoot 'em" We've been practising his turkey talk with the box call. I was able to borrow a handful of my friends decoys and some gear and we'll pop out for a couple weekends. My father in law lent me his Remington 11-48 from 1952. It had some rust issues but i was able to but some effort into cleaning it all up and took it out on this past weekend with the boy to get a feel for it. Yep, stoked.
    Make sure you pick a place far from roads if you are using decoys and blinds. There's lots of people out there shooting rimfires and they scare the hell out of me. Just love the sounds of the riccochets off of the ground and branches!
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    If turkeys could smell you'd never kill one. They have eyes like an eagle and if they hear you call they know what direction you are in, if they hear you call twice they know where you are within a few meters. Camo up and stay still, very, very still. Back in Ontario I had a tom come in a gobble for a good hour out at 100yds, it started to circle and disappeared, showed up 2 yds behind me walked right past me to the decoy before I stuck it.
    I don't discount that they can smell you. They can be one tough quarry!
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    I have only gone for them in the fall, EK.
    would anyone point me in a direction closer to home? my EK spot is 10hrs away and hard to do with 2 days off.
    Grand Forks / Christina Lake. It's only 5 hours.

What has winter been like in the east koots?
    I heard from one source yesterday it was another hard winter...heard same last year but then had more action than ever on our hunt....
    Hoping there are some decent numbers, my son is asking every day about the turkey hunt!
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    What has winter been like in the east koots?
    I heard from one source yesterday it was another hard winter...heard same last year but then had more action than ever on our hunt....
    Hoping there are some decent numbers, my son is asking every day about the turkey hunt!
    Turkeys wintered very well, flocks look strong....Creston Valley

Hi Everyone. We just moved to Fairmont. So looking forward to trying to find a big ol tom. Does anyone have any location suggestions? They say there are lots around here but haven't seen a one this winter. If anyone is looking for a partner let me know. Eager to learn

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Turkeys wintered very well, flocks look strong....Creston Valley
    They overwintered quite well in the valley, on private, but not so well on crown land out of the valley. At least two flocks possibly three seem to have disappeared completely. I spend a lot of time snowshoeing(every weekend) different drainages where animals overwinter and for one flock this is two years without seeing even a track or any sign let alone a bird. I don't know if it's the two harsh winters in a row, predators or what but I can't find them. Areas where for ten years in a row I could count on seeing lots of sign and often the flock now seem devoid of birds.

They did survive very well on private so if you can get permission or have permission already it should be a good hunt. It's a tough valley to get permission in though, personally I prefer hunting turkeys on crown in the mountains They are a completely different bird compared to private land birds that spend all year in someone's yard. The turkeys found up in the mountains are very wary and tough to get. They have to be, they are on the menu for just about everything with teeth.

Can't wait for opening day, spring turkey hunting is my favourite thing to do in spring. Best of luck to all those heading out this spring, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    They overwintered quite well in the valley, on private, but not so well on crown land out of the valley. At least two flocks possibly three seem to have disappeared completely. I spend a lot of time snowshoeing(every weekend) different drainages where animals overwinter and for one flock this is two years without seeing even a track or any sign let alone a bird. I don't know if it's the two harsh winters in a row, predators or what but I can't find them. Areas where for ten years in a row I could count on seeing lots of sign and often the flock now seem devoid of birds.

They did survive very well on private so if you can get permission or have permission already it should be a good hunt. It's a tough valley to get permission in though, personally I prefer hunting turkeys on crown in the mountains They are a completely different bird compared to private land birds that spend all year in someone's yard. The turkeys found up in the mountains are very wary and tough to get. They have to be, they are on the menu for just about everything with teeth.

Can't wait for opening day, spring turkey hunting is my favourite thing to do in spring. Best of luck to all those heading out this spring, stay safe.
    The flocks move around on crown based on food and preds, I'm seeing and hearing turkeys on crown in places they didn't hang out in before. turkeys are coming into full stut now, about 10 to 14 days later than last year. Good hunting to those that venture out.