Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule deer

Mule deer

I have noticed that there seem to be a lot less mule deer around this winter. Over the past years we have had deer in our yard in groups up to 8 at least 3 or more times each week. Also driving up the Todd Mtn. road i would usually see a few deer. This winter we have had maybe 3 deer in our yard and have only seen one on the drive to Sun Peaks.
    Anyone else noticed this? ( Kamloops area ) Maybe they have hooked up their RV's and gone south??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule deer

Armstrong is the same deal man.... They're pretty scarce lately.
    I've been working on the yotie population though.....

kamloops mule deer where doing strong last winter until about april...then they disappeared i was hoping they where hyding but they never came back...
    i think the population is at a 21 year low..its not hunting or poaching related the pred population was at a max...seems like they are going down know...logging winter range doesnt help eitheir..
    last dec i counted 37 bucks in area.
    this dec there was 1 but there wasnt the 200does eitheir there was 26...

Its because they have all moved to Kimberley counted 28 mule deer on my street two days ago and over 30 turkeys.

Way too much snow this year. I agree I have seen a lot less. Only 3 bucks all winter and the same group of does. Guessing this was not an easy winter on any ungulates.

I had this conversation with a local hunting guide a week ago. He just states matter of factually that the deer are not anywhere. Mulies and whitetails are hurting with the mule deer numbers down especially. He hunts all winter for cats and he says he sees very few tracks or live animals where traditionally they would overwinter. He lists a few main contributing factors.

Access. Too much access due to logging roads and vehicles.
    Logging and logging of winter ranges in particular. Any one can drive around the bush around Kamloops and see the fir forests getting cut down.
    Lack of pred control province wide.
    Unregulated hunting. Year round hunting by natives but also all the non-natives that are using their status friends as an excuse to hunt all winter. He runs into guys all winter that say" I'm just here to help my buddy, he's staus." He says it's just as busy in the bush after Dec 10 as before.

Mu buddy is resigned to the fact that the mulies are struggling big time and these are the main reasons. This guy is born and raised in the Loops and is in the bush more than probably any of us on here so I listen when he tells me whats up.

I agree with lovemywinchester's comments. I live in upper Aberdeen and there are a lot of city deer around here this winter. 7 in one group last night in our yard. Heavy snow higher up and even into their winter range would push them lower than ever this winter. I would imagine along north side of Kamloops Lake, Westsyde Road and southern exposure areas they would all be at maybe in lower numbers for sure.

they need somewhere to go....down low....to bad we have built on it over the years....now we pay for it.
    preds, like wolves have definitely not helped things.

Record snowfalls are pushing critters around more than usual, just hope they can get to some feed somewhere. Fields in the Vernon Armstrong Spallumcheen area are void of deer tracks, hope they all made it to Lake Country

to bad we have built on it over the years....now we pay for it
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

-- Keep bitchin about low numbers of Mule deer around Kammy The Ministry will put them on LEH like the rest yah beached about, this is how hunters shoot themselves in the foot I've seen over decades.
    - Alberta is down to one month of mule deer and that's it. Start bithcin, rhe public reads it, informs the Ministry, have local group meetings invite all..
    Hunters anti hunters, local spca, wilderness watch, animal rights, local Indian mule deer sustenance group and it's you on HBC bringing it up.
    -- The Grizzly is gone now mule deer started soon the list in Kammy I guess ? Yes or No? welll ahhh yahl no ahh cood be in some area yet i'd have to say yahnomaybeso
    Do you hunt or just feed deer in your yard?

Jel -- YES / NO or MAYBE SO ? - cood be yah no ahh I yah welll maybe ahhhh so reall whoa
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-07-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: No mule deer left now in Kamloops?