Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mule deer

Re: Mule deer

Heavy snow the deer camp...have to cause the energy required to feed is too high. Resting and moving very little to conserve energy is the best strategy. Usually it is fawn crop that pays the price. With a break in the weather they will start to move and things won't look so bad.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Keep bitchin about low numbers of Mule deer around Kammy The Ministry will put them on LEH like the rest yah beached about, this is how hunters shoot themselves in the foot I've seen over decades.*
    - Alberta is down to one month of mule deer and that's it. Start bithcin, rhe public reads it, informs the Ministry, have local group meetings invite all..
    Hunters anti hunters, local spca, wilderness watch, animal rights, local Indian mule deer sustenance group and it's you on HBC bringing it up.
    -- The Grizzly is gone now mule deer started soon the list in Kammy I guess ? Yes or No? welll ahhh yahl no ahh cood be in some area yet i'd have to say yahnomaybeso
    Do you hunt or just feed deer in your yard?

Jel -- YES / NO or MAYBE SO ? - cood be yah no ahh I yah welll maybe ahhhh so reall whoa

Last edited by Jelvis; Today at*07:04 PM.*Reason:*No mule deer left now in Kamloops?
    For the first time I can understand exactly what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Heavy snow the deer camp...have to cause the energy required to feed is too high. Resting and moving very little to conserve energy is the best strategy. Usually it is fawn crop that pays the price. With a break in the weather they will start to move and things won't look so bad.
    Mature timber can be a haven, munching on needles as long as they last
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    For the first time I can understand exactly what you are saying.
    I second this statement.

Gee don't raise this topic with the hard core from region 3 and 8. They're convinced deer are doing fine. In region 4 we know populations are low. And current aerial counts are confirming it. Regardless of what some might say. Nocturnal deer still leave a track.

You guys are all crazy and misguided, FisherDude will be here soon with numbers that show you are all blind!! K

I agree deer are good at camping out with weather or pressure.. I watched a group last week going on there hinds in heavy timber eating the moss of branches.
    Love my Winchester your friend should call Francis are regional bio and talk location and sign.

JeLo I agree no whistle blowing but watch for sure I think it's just a cycle. But we should be leaving wintering timber standing..

Dana pushes on the prediction factor hard north of my house which he is a smart man... however logging alll of the lower elevation along Adam could have easily caused a superficial boom than bust... all exposed and no where to go. Good feed but no hiding 2 to 3 years high numbers than predict numbers build and bamboo dead zone

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    I had this conversation with a local hunting guide a week ago. He just states matter of factually that the deer are not anywhere. Mulies and whitetails are hurting with the mule deer numbers down especially. He hunts all winter for cats and he says he sees very few tracks or live animals where traditionally they would overwinter. He lists a few main contributing factors.

Access. Too much access due to logging roads and vehicles.
    Logging and logging of winter ranges in particular. Any one can drive around the bush around Kamloops and see the fir forests getting cut down.
    Lack of pred control province wide.
    Unregulated hunting. Year round hunting by natives but also all the non-natives that are using their status friends as an excuse to hunt all winter. He runs into guys all winter that say" I'm just here to help my buddy, he's staus." He says it's just as busy in the bush after Dec 10 as before.

Mu buddy is resigned to the fact that the mulies are struggling big time and these are the main reasons. This guy is born and raised in the Loops and is in the bush more than probably any of us on here so I listen when he tells me whats up.
    All valid points...I believe that the pathetic non native folks who actually call themselves hunters and shoot anything while being with natives need to be stopped...I talked to one of these poachers a couple months back and wish I was able to get his name....they need to make a law where any non native even in a vehicle or with a native while in possession of non legal game for non natives needs to be nailed...

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    -- Keep bitchin about low numbers of Mule deer around Kammy The Ministry will put them on LEH like the rest yah beached about, this is how hunters shoot themselves in the foot I've seen over decades.
    - Alberta is down to one month of mule deer and that's it. Start bithcin, rhe public reads it, informs the Ministry, have local group meetings invite all..
    Hunters anti hunters, local spca, wilderness watch, animal rights, local Indian mule deer sustenance group and it's you on HBC bringing it up.
    -- The Grizzly is gone now mule deer started soon the list in Kammy I guess ? Yes or No? welll ahhh yahl no ahh cood be in some area yet i'd have to say yahnomaybeso
    Do you hunt or just feed deer in your yard?

Jel -- YES / NO or MAYBE SO ? - cood be yah no ahh I yah welll maybe ahhhh so reall whoa
    Anybody who isn't ignorant on the subject will know that as long as the buck:doe ratio is fine, hunting will not impact the overall populations...cutting back mule deer seasons on bucks will not help deer deal with higher snow levels...FYI in my parts of region 8 I'm seeing numbers of both whitetails and mulies down, but not way down by any means..I believe it's a combo of more development of winter range, higher snow levels than normal last year, and increasing pred numbers, I do not believe its necessarily from hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    All valid points...I believe that the pathetic non native folks who actually call themselves hunters and shoot anything while being with natives need to be stopped...I talked to one of these poachers a couple months back and wish I was able to get his name....they need to make a law where any non native even in a vehicle or with a native while in possession of non legal game for non natives needs to be nailed...
    Same thing goes with the salmon fishing crowd, good luck with that..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..