Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: crossbows and archery season

crossbows and archery season

should crossbows be banned in bc for archery only season like in alberta?

i have witnessed some men with well tuned crosdbows that practice perform amazing shots..!
    is that fair? i have also seen hacks no practice shooting high and low unpracticed with undersplined and or powered arrows winging all over gods country..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: crossbows and archery season

heard this is in the works from reliable source..

I have seen the same poor shooting with some compound users...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

not disagreeing just saying crossbows i have heard of marksman on the extreme in accuracy...and on the extreme unaccurate heard there may be a chsnge coming..no vote here.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post

i have witnessed some men with well tuned crosdbows that practice perform amazing shots..!
    is that fair? i have also seen hacks no practice shooting high and low unpracticed with undersplined and or powered arrows winging all over gods country..
    I started shooting bow when I was 11 years old. Port Orford cedar arrows were the choice of the day, the only choice. Shot pheasants, grouse, the odd quail and Robertson ground squirrels. When I was 36, I had to discontinue shooting because bursitis in the shoulder was too painful to hold the required 45# legal draw weight for arrowing big game. Compound bows under the Allen patent were a novelty, noisy 4 wheel contraptions, that had a marginal letoff. When PSE came out with a compound with 40% letoff I re-entered into archery. It got better with 60% but as you age, even that letoff becomes unbearable with the onset of arthritis. I traded off my compound for something else but all with the thought in mind to get a crossbow to continue into the archery season.
    You mention that a crossbow ban may be in the works and you got that from a reliable source. I would like to know where you got this information and who this reliable source is. And please define reliable source while you're at it.
    If you can't name the source, then like those hunting stories without pictures, it did't happen.
    And of course you know, I am adamantly opposed to that ban.
    Last edited by willyqbc; 03-08-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: thread clean up
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

This is an interesting idea, I know a few other province's seperate the two as well. I shoot a compound and practice alot, I shoot just as far as lots of Cross bow users. Obviously having less hunters in your favourite season is hard to turn down, but there really isn't much difference between the two as far as chances go. I would be more on board for an extra season strictly for traditional archery to grow that side of the sport compared to excluding a group of hunters.

danny29 this time i truley agree..

my mother and wife hunt with crossbow..i didnt invent or agree with the idea just heard it was coming down the pipe.

i use ot some times like dad and i share one when hunting the peace...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post

There are minimum draw and bolt weights for crossbows. Any hunter not meeting them is breaking the law. Also, the minimum spline weights for a crossbow are not for hunting but for accuracy and safety. As far as "winging all over gods country"... I would be very, very, very surprised if the percentage of crossbow hunters who cannot keep it in an 8" in circle at 30 yards is higher than regular bow hunters. Between the two, bowhunting takes much more practice to be able to ethically use.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

bowhunting does take more practice...agreed..
    a good crossbow hunter with good equipment is almost unfair advantage...but a guy who bought his crossbow to take advantage of a season and doesnt shoot it and thinks it shoots like a gun is worse..that said i didnt say i support just saying it may be coming down the pipe.