Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: crossbows and archery season

Re: crossbows and archery season

Divide and conquer. Give em an inch and they will take a mile sooner or later. If you do not have something positive to say about someone else's preferred method of hunting then you should say nothing. After they knock off one kind of legal hunting they will set their sights on the rest, one item at a time. This is important, stick together or we (hunters), and our tradition and heritage is done before you know it. It is sad to see posts like this. I also would like to know who this unconfirmed source is so we have time to take action to defend hunting. I am a hunter and I support all legal methods of hunting, even if I don't use those methods. I support all legal seasons for different species of animals even if I don't hunt these seasons. I support my fellow hunters. If you are a true hunter you should support your fellow hunters.
    Last edited by sobirch; 03-06-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    Son of a Birch,, Life time BC resident hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by sobirch View Post
    Divide and conquer. Give em an inch and they will take a mile sooner or later. If you do not have something positive to say about someone else's preferred method of hunting then you should say nothing. After they knock off one kind of legal hunting they will set their sights on the rest, one item at a time. This is important, stick together or we (hunters), and tradition and heritage is done before you know it. It is sad to see posts like this. I also would like to know who this unconfirmed source is so we have time to take action to defend hunting.
    Can't give you 5 stars for your post as that is for rating the thread. However I can give you
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

jager did you just buy a matrix 380 ? good for you great bow wish i had 1...good luck definatley a great tool..

I hunt with both crossbow/compound whatever I feel like at the time yes crossbow is easier but both are equally fun to shoot leave the rules as they are because crossbow today then compound tomorrow let's face it nothing traditional about a compound bow they work there way down to a plain stick and string can't give them that inch my two cents I know my Grammer no good failed English my bad

After 70 plus years of putting trophies on the shelf and meat in the freezer with an assortment of long bows, recurves and compound bows I have now joined the ranks of my hunting friends who no longer have the ability to pull bows suitable for hunting big game. I find it strange indeed, that because I now hunt with a crossbow and still consider myself a bowhunter, some feel I should bow my head in shame because i give umbrage to he who has spent thousands of hours practicing "archery" and still has the strength and coordination to ethically use a vertical bow. As for the hunting part of the equation there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the effectiveness of a compound bow and a crossbow or the "hunting" skills and knowledge required to ethically harvest game with either one.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    not attacking other hunters rumour mill said being considered
    At the present time, there is no formal discussion on the topic of restricting or removing crossbows from Bow Only Seasons (BOS). This conversation is not new and comes as a result of many factors. Under firearm legislation the crossbow is considered a firearm. This drops it into the grey area. In some jurisdictions, 30 years ago, the introduction of crossbows into more primitive traditional and (less performance-based) compound bows raised a conservation concern. There are those that will have a position that the crossbow provides a valid cross over opportunity for traditional rifle enthusiasts to take advantage of BOS.

At the present time, in BC, crossbows are defined as archery tackle. I suspect, the only time a change might occur would be in the event that sufficient data was collected to suggest they provide a conservation concern. We know, we don't collect data in BC, particularly about user groups, we simply make decisions based on ignorance. Should we get to a place were we believe crossbows are having a conservation concern, I suspect we have much bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Under firearm legislation the crossbow is considered a firearm. This drops it into the grey area. .
    JT, I'm not trying to be argumentative, So please correct if I'm wrong "my wife does it constantly ".
    I was under the impression crossbows were not considered a firearm. I went to the CFC website and looked. I don't see crossbows as being any sort of a grey area at all and don't see how its definition by the CFC or CCC should have any bearing on their use in an archery season?

CCC firearm definition

Firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm

CFC
    Crossbows that can be aimed and fired with one hand and crossbows with an overall length of 500 mm or less are prohibited. You cannot lawfully possess or acquire a prohibited crossbow.You do not need a valid licence or registration certificate to possess any other type of bow, including a crossbow that is longer than 500 mm and that requires the use of both hands. Criminal Code provisions making it an offence to acquire a crossbow without a valid licence were never brought into force.
    If you plan to use a bow to hunt, please check provincial hunting regulations for information on hunting licence requirements and restrictions that may apply to the use of bows. For example, some provinces do not allow crossbows for hunting
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    After 70 plus years of putting trophies on the shelf and meat in the freezer with an assortment of long bows, recurves and compound bows I have now joined the ranks of my hunting friends who no longer have the ability to pull bows suitable for hunting big game. I find it strange indeed, that because I now hunt with a crossbow and still consider myself a bowhunter, some feel I should bow my head in shame because i give umbrage to he who has spent thousands of hours practicing "archery" and still has the strength and coordination to ethically use a vertical bow. As for the hunting part of the equation there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the effectiveness of a compound bow and a crossbow or the "hunting" skills and knowledge required to ethically harvest game with either one.
    Finally a good post on what are strong biased opinions on a contrived post that is "hearsay". Crossbows are legal !!!!
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Thumbs down Re: crossbows and archery season

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    heard this is in the works from reliable source..
    Trolling again I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    ... You mention that a crossbow ban may be in the works and you got that from a reliable source. I would like to know where you got this information and who this reliable source is. And please define reliable source while you're at it.
    Everyone did notice that the OP somehow missed this?? Intentional is my belief.

Put Up or SHUT UP!

Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    ... The caveat is crossbow users are not bowhunters:they are a crossgun device used by opportunists, not archers. The very defintion of archery in the dictionary refers to the use of a bow and an arrow, not a crossbow and a bolt.
    Well TaterHead, I am damn happy most real bow hunters don't have their own head as far up their patootie as you apparently do.

The Arc in Archery comes from the path of the arrow, regardless of whether the platform is vertical or horizontal. Both employ the use of stick and string. The term "crossgun" is one used to belittle the horizontal BOW, and is common among those naysayers such as yourself.

I ran a compound for decades. Injuries preclude that. I now run a crossbow, and consider myself very much a Bow Hunter.
    And I could give a Rat's Ass about your thousands of hours invested.
    That does NOT make you any Holier than anyone who runs a horizontal BOW. Really.

I believe the OP started this post simply to stir the pot.
    There is no movement in BC, nor the vast majority of other jurisdictions where crossbow use is allowed in regular archery seasons to do away with that.
    Simply a troll, which did result in hooking a few - myself included.

I suggested the OP get it together in an unrelated post yesterday.
    Then, I noted he was dangerously close to finding my Ignore button.
    He just did.
    And NO MORE pm's from you either
    Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by willyqbc; 03-08-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: thread clean up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    Well said, and a very good post, thanks!