Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spell check is your friend...

Re: Spell check is your friend...

The OP had a valid observation and point.
    It wasn't judgemental.
    The fact is that posts, documents, literature of any kind, tends to be more credible if spelled correctly.

I hate to beat a dead horse here but this thread has some very good points.
    If you want to be recognized and our hunting rights protected now and into the future we need to be taken seriously. Best thing we can do is to present ourselves in a way that gains respect, all people know about us from the outside is what we write so there's nothing wrong with trying to improve what we do or say.
    My whole life I've struggled with written English as i never properly learned in my early education years and although i graduated secondary school it was with a minimal pass. I never went to college or university and have only done some courses to help me along the way, the differences i made is to work hard and do my best in everything i do.
    Over the years in my written and spoken skills improved which is self taught and the best learning method is reading. Reading correct spelling and grammar will improve writing skills and more importantly communications as you will be able to convey your thoughts and opinions clearly and understandable to your reading audience.
    As a group i see we're often plagued by infighting and confrontation and from the outside we show our weaknesses, if we were civil together it would help us achieve much more internally with a positive approach and for the outside viewers a positive appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse here but this thread has some very good points.
    If you want to be recognized and our hunting rights protected now and into the future we need to be taken seriously. Best thing we can do is to present ourselves in a way that gains respect, all people know about us from the outside is what we write so there's nothing wrong with trying to improve what we do or say.
    My whole life I've struggled with written English as i never properly learned in my early education years and although i graduated secondary school it was with a minimal pass. I never went to college or university and have only done some courses to help me along the way, the differences i made is to work hard and do my best in everything i do.
    Over the years in my written and spoken skills improved which is self taught and the best learning method is reading. Reading correct spelling and grammar will improve writing skills and more importantly communications as you will be able to convey your thoughts and opinions clearly and understandable to your reading audience.
    As a group i see we're often plagued by infighting and confrontation and from the outside we show our weaknesses, if we were civil together it would help us achieve much more internally with a positive approach and for the outside viewers a positive appearance.
    Great post!!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    Aren't you a positive display for recruitment to the HBC site. Good reason why new people don't say much when you burn him for only 8 posts.
    I do give the OP credit as he never made this suggestion on the end of someone's story post, only a general comment so not to single someone out.
    Think about it.
    Think about this. Peoples spelling has never bothered me to the point that I would take them to task on it. OP stepped out to make his point, I will make mine. Mind the story, not the spelling. Not everyone is an English teacher here. Really pisses me off when somebody gets jumped on for a spelling or punctuation mistake. Damn lucky to have guys on here talking . We don`t need a speech cops.You included.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

It was never my intention to be a “speech cop”, only to suggest that it’s worth a bit of effort when writing to government, media or anti anything bodies. It just helps remove the stereotype of hunters and firearm owners as hillbillies. Even if some of us are a bit hillbilly, and proud of it!

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Think about this. Peoples spelling has never bothered me to the point that I would take them to task on it. OP stepped out to make his point, I will make mine. Mind the story, not the spelling. Not everyone is an English teacher here. Really pisses me off when somebody gets jumped on for a spelling or punctuation mistake. Damn lucky to have guys on here talking . We don`t need a speech cops.You included.

This whole thread is a good example of why I will never write a letter to government, I would be worried about grammatical error’s and punctuation. I will leave it up to the brainiacs that can compose an articulate and well written letter.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Why_cant_I_use_the_spacebar_on_this_site?_Seriousl y_it_makes_it_hard_to_post_
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    This whole thread is a good example of why I will never write a letter to government, I would be worried about grammatical error’s and punctuation. I will leave it up to the brainiacs that can compose an articulate and well written letter.
    why we dont let JELL write a letter to goverment??? IM sure M R.JELL--BELL can do it with style and real fashion,,gov..people are gonna be impressed..not regular letter with all puncutation in right spot..lots of entertainment and piquancy..with regular dingeli dong,,zap zip..etc....my vote for tath..

Quote Originally Posted by islandhunter View Post
    Why_cant_I_use_the_spacebar_on_this_site?_Seriousl y_it_makes_it_hard_to_post_
    It’s the site that does that?!? Crap I have to go downstairs and apologize to my keyboard. I also noticed the wheel of my wireless mouse scrolling back and forward through HBC pages. When I use my laptop. Which is rarely.