Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spell check is your friend...

Re: Spell check is your friend...

I spent a lot of years in university, but my spelling isn't great, and my grammar isn't always correct. I definitely use spellcheck and google to aid in proper spelling. I agree with the OP. It may take more time to strive to spell correctly, and use proper grammar, but I think it's important. When I review resumes, I automatically discard those from candidates who have spelling mistakes.

Incorrect spelling and poor grammar detract from even the best written ideas.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I agree with 325 above.
    I think the OP had good intentions. I think we should all, including myself, care about proof reading and how we can come across. At least the best we can.
    Op is just providing constructive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    Sorry if my spelling or punctuation is not up to yours or the great educated standards, I was probably building roads or bridges so you could get to school.
    And im sorry too, but I never once said I was unhappy about your, or anyone else’s spelling. Nor did I say I was more educated than anyone else. Nor did I say I don’t hold a blue collar job.

What I did say, is that I think we as a group, should at least make an effort to be better spoken (and written) in order to have a real voice about issues like MEC dropping brands, hunts being closed, areas being closed etc.

I appreciate the understanding from members like 325, Deep Jeep and others who realize that while I may only have a few posts here, I may at age 49, have some insight in how the world works. Reality is, that letters filled with spelling and grammatical mistakes are not taken in the same regard as those that aren’t. I guess I made the mistake of trying to help a group I’m happy to be a part of. Do with it what you will.

Hmmm most of my posts are done on my tablet. .it has some funky spell check..on what It thinks I mean..often completely incorrect, seldom do I go back and correct it..amazing since when I was working spelling was indeed important..misspelling a medication could point towards a different medication..different medical issue..and hence serious negative treatment courses of action down dead ends..
    Hmmmm on this site. .not really that big a issue..

Huge difference between acute angina....

And a cute vagina "

Fred

If somebody(a non-hunter) is sitting on the fence regarding support or opposition towards hunting they could easily be pushed either direction by the comments read on social media. I commented the other day in the Goose decapitation thread about taking Proguides advice and not engaging anti hunters on social media. I posted that after reading comments from some guy arguing incoherently. It made hunters look like idiots. It would be very difficult for an outside observer to take the comments, written as badly as some I have seen, seriously at all. And, it will do no good to win allies.

FYI. I swing a hammer for a living, never made it past grade 12. Worked in the patch. But I make an attempt to write well and speak well because I know it affects how people listen to me. Food for thought...

Phuk that’s been it all along ??? Anti hunting groups don’t hate hunters because we kill animals . It’s because of our poor grammar and spelling !
    perseverance pays off

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    And im sorry too, but I never once said I was unhappy about your, or anyone else’s spelling. Nor did I say I was more educated than anyone else. Nor did I say I don’t hold a blue collar job.

What I did say, is that I think we as a group, should at least make an effort to be better spoken (and written) in order to have a real voice about issues like MEC dropping brands, hunts being closed, areas being closed etc.

I appreciate the understanding from members like 325, Deep Jeep and others who realize that while I may only have a few posts here, I may at age 49, have some insight in how the world works. Reality is, that letters filled with spelling and grammatical mistakes are not taken in the same regard as those that aren’t. I guess I made the mistake of trying to help a group I’m happy to be a part of. Do with it what you will.
    I hear what your saying here Red, and I agree with your intent! We are continually getting screen shot from the Eco-Freaks and there is a few of us that sound like, well, I won't even go there. But on the other hand if this site continually allows these freaks on here what can you do? I don't hide what I enjoy doing and never will, but I always try to at least make my posts sound like I finished grade eight, unlike some! K

I try my best but like Steven said, sometimes we're posting tablets or phones, sometimes in less than ideal or rushed conditions. I try my best to respond to everything in the best possible manner, but I might be standing up on a crowded bus somewhere typing with one hand.

As far as antis are concerned, we will continue losing ground against them until we have a united international front for science based conservation. This is how groups like PETA operate. They are world wide. Any poll, whether it be provincial or national... any comment thread they feel needs to be addressed, any twitter post etc, they are sending their international flock to pound the poll, comment thread or whatever. In fact, when our NDP government set up the grizzly bear feedback email address, MANY international anti-hunting and vegan groups set up web based templates where any international user could simply fill in their name/email and click send. It would send a pre-written letter. The NDP counted ANY email as a "vote", while here we are telling each other within a tiny local echo chamber that we all ought to send in a letter. As a result, we lost the grizzly hunt because it was "4000 to 1000". THIS is why we are losing battles on every front... not so much because of spelling and grammar. If we had an organized international front, hunters and conversationalists could better defend each other world wide. Lets focus on what really matters. Times are changing. It's not even just about "social acceptance" anymore. It's "international social acceptance" now. We need to get with the program.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-06-2018 at 10:40 PM.

i think what people should be taking from the op is that there are people that view this site that don't have the hunting community's interest at heart and it would be wise to keep that in mind when posting things. they are watching and will use whatever ammunition they can gather to further their agenda. I've noticed danny_29 or whatever his name is bring this up time and time again and members just give him a hard time and don't seem to care. that's fine if you don't "give a flying f*** what the antis think" but when they try to get hunts banned and succeed (ie. grizzly) you might think otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    Proguides advice and not engaging anti hunters on social media. I posted that after reading comments from some guy arguing incoherently. It made hunters look like idiots. It would be very difficult for an outside observer to take the comments, written as badly as some I have seen, seriously at all. And, it will do no good to win allies.
    Proguide engages anti-hunters all the time and he does it quite well in a manner I would consider unorthodox, but I see it working very well on a high level. He is strategic and knows when to engage and how to engage. Between that and his field work, he is making a huge impact both in PR and ground zero. I hope he keeps doing what he is doing.

We do need to engage them, but we need to do it in a coherent and respectful manner. There are so many people who think poorly of hunting because of the PR they have been exposed to. If you can engage them respectfully, they will take into account the information you provide and re-evaluate their position. I can not count the number of people who cringed at the word "hunting' that I have won over who switched to having the ultimate respect for hunting and in some cases became hunters. Certainly dozens in person and likely hundreds online.

Keep in mind, only a small portion of the population (maybe 3-5%) are so radical in their views against hunting, they will never change their opinion. The vast majority of the people hunters think are anti-hunters are just people who have never heard an alternate view point and just wanted to comment on something to an express an opinion, as that is what social media is for the most part. It is the general public we are trying to win over. If someone makes a statement that opposes hunting and we attack, insult or act sarcastically--or even too preachy--towards them, it instantly pushes them / polarizes them towards the other side and they are no longer receptive to alternate view points even if it scientific.

As mentioned in my previous post, we do need to organize internationally to protect hunting and conservation world-wide. If we only worry about our local issues, international anti flocks will crush us every time. We need a place where we can unite to stand up for hunting rights in Texas, Alberta, New Zealand, etc, and like-minded people from those areas can do the same for us. That is how things are happening politically now and hunters have not caught up with the times. As a result, we are getting crushed, whether it be hunting, losing polls about whether meat should have sin taxes applied (apparently 50% of people in BC *want* a tax on meat because it's supposedly bad for health and the environment... either that, or PETA tipped the scales when the posted it on their forums) ... hunters, ranchers, firearm owners all need one place to go so we can engage this together in a united manner. That is the only option. If not, hunting is not going to be around for more than a decade or two.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.