Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spell check is your friend...

Re: Spell check is your friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Hi guys, I’m not a big poster here, but have spent a lot of time reading. I know you’ll probably hate me for saying it, but I hope you see why I am doing so...

There are a lot of threads (Grizzly, MEC etc) that have a ton of bad spelling and poor grammar. I’m not trying to be the grammar police, I just want to point out that there are people other than us who read things on the forum. People who dislike hunting, shooting and firearms in general. The amount of misspelled words and incorrect grammar makes the average user here come across as uneducated. It’s a stereotype that we don’t need to reinforce.

So basically, use your spell check and maybe think about what you are posting. It’s not just the likeminded that are on these forums...
    I agree, and not necessarily because of what other people besides us think.

It is not that hard to put a few words together and to spell them correctly. Then we can understand each other.

Maybe taking a little more time when people are composing a post or response would help.

I'm not trying to be an English 101 professor here. I never went past Grade 12 and worked in the logging and fishing industries until last year. I attended no post secondary except for attending PMTI to get a marine certificate.

My spelling was, and still is pretty bad, at least for the level of education I had.
    In Grade eight the Teacher made me sit beside the big class dictionary and said "You look up every word you can't spell which is probably most words."
    For sites like this I think that grammar is more important than spelling as poor grammar can really change, or confuse the meaning of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Petros65 View Post
    LOl - takes forever to read this. Imagine if your Doctor wrote out a medical report like this ---- would you go back or just die laughing - ha ha ha ha
    I guess English is not your first/only language.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    "It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    I read this fine. No slower than if spelled correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    "It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Yup, nailed it as fast as if it was written right. Course I have read a lot of Jelvis posts over the years , which helps.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Hi guys, I’m not a big poster here, but have spent a lot of time reading. I know you’ll probably hate me for saying it, but I hope you see why I am doing so...

There are a lot of threads (Grizzly, MEC etc) that have a ton of bad spelling and poor grammar. I’m not trying to be the grammar police, I just want to point out that there are people other than us who read things on the forum. People who dislike hunting, shooting and firearms in general. The amount of misspelled words and incorrect grammar makes the average user here come across as uneducated. It’s a stereotype that we don’t need to reinforce.

So basically, use your spell check and maybe think about what you are posting. It’s not just the likeminded that are on these forums...
    Well thank you for your concern Mr 8 posts. All the years learning how to hunt and process my game meats...shood have spent mor time speling.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Aren't you a positive display for recruitment to the HBC site. Good reason why new people don't say much when you burn him for only 8 posts.
    I do give the OP credit as he never made this suggestion on the end of someone's story post, only a general comment so not to single someone out.
    Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Well thank you for your concern Mr 8 posts. All the years learning how to hunt and process my game meats...shood have spent mor time speling.

I really don't care if we look uneducated. As long as what we are talking about and can educate others.

Are you saying we shouldn't wear Camo around town? Looks aren't everything my friend.

And I don't give a flying F*** what the Antis think!

my spelling and my grammar is pretty good..in my own language..english.hmmm still some brob. sometimes ....sorry take it as a man.....after 40years in kanata..ugh i have spoken

Red .... ya ask for it !!! Lol