Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh lookie here

2. Site Sponsor

Re: oh lookie here

WTF is a “cultural technician” an illegal meat peddler?

A real knee slapped came to mind when I read that, but I fear it is pushing the boundaries of rule #3. Use your imaginations.

its a start...but not enough to be a real deteraint...

A little more in depth article from the Penticton news.

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com...gal-meat-sale/

‘This is my identity’: hunter apologizes for illegal meat sale

Clint Holmes, brother of former Upper Similkameen Indian Band chief, will pay a $2,500 fine

A prominent Upper Similkameen Indian Band member will have to pay up $2,500 for illegally selling game meat in a case he says has “made me very upset, and I am very remorseful.”
    Clint Holmes, brother of former USIB chief Rick Holmes, appeared before Judge Robin Smith for a sentencing hearing Monday afternoon, with Crown and defence lawyers offering a joint submission of the minimum fine for charges of trafficking in wildlife.
    “You will not be seeing me in here again. And I can tell you that this also burdens me with — this is my identity, here. This isn’t something I’ve picked up and I do. This is my identity,” Holmes told Smith about his hunting practice in court.
    “How this all happened, it has made me very upset, and I’m very remorseful. You will not see me in here again.”
    Holmes, currently on leave from his position as a natural and cultural resource technician at USIB, entered a guilty plea on one of two counts of trafficking in wildlife he was facing, including from a November 2016 case, in which he sold an undercover officer $100 in meat.
    The B.C. Conservation Officers Service first got a complaint in October 2015 about Holmes providing game meat to a relative to be sold, and in an investigation, an undercover officer arranged to meet with Holmes about a truck for sale, which Holmes offered some game meat to go with the truck.
    “The officer did not buy the truck, but Mr. Holmes sold him $50 worth of butchered elk meat,” the Crown lawyer on the case said.
    “In November of 2016, the officer contacted Mr. Holmes again to purchase more wildlife meat. Mr. Holmes made arrangements for his wife to meet the officer to sell the meat. She did so, and sold them $100 worth of deer and moose meat.”
    In a joint submission, Crown and defence suggested a $2,500 fine — the minimum fine for the charge, with the maximum being $250,000 and two years in jail — taking into account the remorse from Holmes, his guilty plea, as well as his Indigenous heritage.
    Judges are mandated to take Indigenous heritage into account where it is relevant, as part of the Gladue sentencing principles, and Smith appeared sympathetic to Holmes’ cultural attachment to hunting.
    “I know you have a heritage and identity, and hunting is a big part of it,” Smith said. “Everybody makes mistakes in life,” he added, suggesting Holmes not make the same mistake again.
    In accordance with the creative sentencing principles of the Wildlife Act, $2,000 of the fine will be diverted to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund.
    Holmes will have a year to pay the fine, which he said he will be able to pay through work on wildfire mitigation plans with USIB.

Looked up Usib as that's where he said he would get money to bay fine. Ya right . Thats If he ever pays it at all!!!!

UPPER SIMILKAMEEN INDIAN BAND (USIB)

The Upper Similkameen Indian Band (USIB) is located from Hedley to Princeton and begins 30 kilometres west of Keremeos in the Similkameen District. USIB has the smallest population with approximately 74 members. The USIB has a land base of 2,708.5 hectares and seven reserves, with the main community residing on Chuchuwaya I.R. No.2, on the Similkameen River.

This kind of sentencing must really p*ss off CO's who go to all the work in getting a conviction.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Seems like even less then a slap on the wrist.....if I had done the same thing, I'm sure I would be banned from hunting for a number of years. Even though my family heritage has been hunting and fishing for generations.

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Seems like even less then a slap on the wrist.....if I had done the same thing, I'm sure I would be banned from hunting for a number of years. Even though my family heritage has been hunting and fishing for generations.

And if a relative of yours was selling meat, and your wife had sold meat directly to a CO . She would have been charged as well. But it doesn't seem so in this case. Once again. Different rules for special folks. Wonder just how many pounds, and the different species of game meat, THEY sold between Oct 2015 when the CO's bought the first meat and over a year later, Nov. 2016 when the second purchase was made.
    Also Love to know all the charges, as Damn sure that there was a pile of plea bargaining going on for him to plead guilty. And both the Crown and defense suggesting the minimum $2,500 fine penalty????

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    WTF is a “cultural technician” an illegal meat peddler?

No it's a person that takes care of the field (crops), utilizes pesticides, manages soils etc.. Basically a nursery worker...
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I got to give this fellow Clint Holmes some credit, he could have been dismissive of the whole court
    procedeeding as illegitimate,as some other FN people have,when charged for committing the same
    offences.He took his punishment honourably and seemed genuinely remorseful,(at least from reading his quote above).