Thread: Nanaimo / Lantzville Crabbing and Ocean Fun?

Nanaimo / Lantzville Crabbing and Ocean Fun?

Hey Gents, I'm heading out to Lantzville for the week after Easter to visit the in-laws. Considering dragging along my 16' aluminum boat (wide beam with a 50hp), or maybe just my 12' car topper with launch wheels and a old 9.9. Does anyone have any advice (pm is fine) on what I may find for tasty critters to eat in those parts?

I'll likely just bring my small tinny and do some crabbing off Lanzville or up into Nanoose, though have zero experience with the area.

Will likely also bring the snorkel gear and dip net to chase crabs. I do have a pneumatic spear gun collecting dust in the basement, any spearfishing opportunity in those parts?

Is it worth bringing the bigger boat and chasing some fish (have 2 manual riggers)? I see only springs and halibut are open so I'm thinking not.

Anyway, open to any and all info on taking the kids out to scrounge up some wild grub if anyone is willing to share. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Nanaimo / Lantzville Crabbing and Ocean Fun?

There is fish outside of the windchelseas. Some crab in nanoose bay. Schooner cove has a launch for your 16'. Check out sportfishingbc forum on the fishing report. They are down fairly deep right now. Might have to pick through the undersized to find keepers.

Re: Nanaimo / Lantzville Crabbing and Ocean Fun?

Thanks Scallywag, will check it out. Almost forgot about that forum.