Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MEC mailing address - info@mec.ca

Re: MEC mailing address - info@mec.ca

Banning AR15's in the USA or Canada would achieve zero for public safety. They aren't even a "popular" choice as a murder weapon in the USA, and have probably never been used as a murder weapon in Canada. In Canada criminals tend to shoot other criminals with handguns, and when regular non criminal people commit murder with a firearm it's usually a hunting rifle or shotgun.

So if we look at banning an object to save lives, banning hunting rifles and shotguns would save more lives than banning AR15's
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMon View Post
    The sources to the problem are many. Easy access to guns, lack of mental health care, lack of community, firearms manufacturers lobbying government for as little regulation as possible, etc.
    I actually believe that rather than "lack of mental health care", the real issue is too much poor mental health care. It is worth noting that virtually every mass shooter has been prescribed one or more psychotropic pharmaceuticals such as SSRI's, anti-psychotics, benzos, etc. These medications actually list "aggression, suicidal thoughts / behavior" as side effects.

Here's the kicker. Roughly 1/4 of the population over 12 years old or 75,000,000 Americans are taking these drugs. They are over prescribed for the most bizarre reasons, ranging from death or a pet, to a child who dislikes doing homework, teen boyfriend/girlfriend break-up's, etc.

I think it many cases, these kids might have fantasies about doing horrible things because they are upset (teenagers generally don't have a great perception of a full outlook in life... something as simple as an embarrassing event or not getting the crush they are after seem end-of-the-word daunting) and all of a sudden they are given pills that alter their brain chemistry and in some cases their brain is altered to not fear consequences or even death.

For example, you might have some socially reclusive kid with poor social skills. He has trouble making friends, getting the girl he likes or whatever. He is full of jealously, envy and hate of those around him. Man... he'd really like to "show them". Since he is "shy", the doctor gives him an SSRI to address his "social anxiety". Unfortunately the drug does not remove the hate he has for his peers, but it removes the fear of the consequences of acting out his impulses. The result obviously a tragedy waiting to happen.

I truly believe there is a reason virtually every mass shooter has been taking these drugs. Obviously there is a causation vs correlation or chicken/egg argument to be had. Certainly these tragedies would still occur without pharmaceutical involvement in many cases, but I think the number could be greatly reduced if the problem of over prescription is addressed.

Also, I do recognize that these same drugs help many people and most people have no aggressive/suicidal side effects at all, but even if such side effects only occur to some degree in 10000 when you have 75,000,000 people taking them, there are going to be serious problems. There is no way 1/4 of the teenage/adult population in the US require pharmaceuticals to alter their brain chemistry in order to function, so we know there is a major problem here. I am surprised it does not receive more attention. I can understand why news networks are quiet about it, given their sponsors. I believe they should only be prescribed when absolutely necessary and perhaps only by psychiatrists rather than GP's and and walk-in clinics.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-04-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Great post caddisguy. Bang on as far as I'm concerned.

I would also add, that if a young child is prescribed one or more of these drugs, and then on his/her own decides to stop taking those drugs, what are the effects? The "problem" they have (right or wrong) was possibly never dealt with properly. Not necessarily by giving them a pill.

Here is the letter I attached with my membership withdrawal:

Hello,

I am deeply concerned with the recent stance taken by Mountain Equipment Co-op to boycott Vista Outdoors simply because it manufactures a firearm similar to one involved in a recent tragedy.

As a Canadian, outdoor enthusiast, a hunter, and a rational person I recognize the AR-15 is a small caliber rifle which fires once each time the trigger is pulled--without the need to manually cycle the action--and is no different in function than equal or larger caliber rifles commonly used for hunting in Canada.

By definition, it is not an "assault rifle". In fact, it operates exactly the same way an old wooden-stock Ruger Mini 14 does--among hundreds or perhaps thousands of other models--which are completely non-restricted in Canada. The only difference is the appearance of the rifle and that it is highly popularized by the media, Hollywood and rap music.

If MEC is going to pander to emotionally charged and politically motivated social media campaigns and set the "boycott bar" at the AR-15, it is clear the same stance will be taken anytime a firearm is misused and causes significant harm. While there are many rifles identical in function, even a pump action shotgun or a revolver is capable of the same devastation that occurred. This boycott does nothing to impact the amount, root cause or means of violence. It only appeases emotional thinking or those exploiting the tragedy for political gain.

The reality is that more homicides are carried out with knives (such as those available at MEC) than rifles in general, let alone rifles "similar to the AR-15". When a product is misused--whether it be a knife, a truck, or a pressure cooker--is it rational to boycott the manufacturer? I think it would make more sense to draw attention to the root causes such as gang violence and mental health and the fact the individual in question was reported to the FBI multiple times prior to the event and no action was taken.

Instead, I feel MEC has taken the "easy route" and caved into the social media frenzy rather than attempting to engage in thoughtful discussion. This comes with great regret, as MEC has been a source of quality gear (backpacks, boots, head lamps, knives, axes, saws, mountain house, etc) and is conveniently located 5 minutes away from my home. However, I can not support an organization taking this political stance. Please find the attached application for membership withdrawal.

Thank you for the many years of service. Please forward my concerns along as deemed appropriate. If you wish to discuss my concerns in further detail, do not hesitate to contact me by email or by phone.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-05-2018 at 09:58 PM.

I hate to break the news to you guys.. but I’m positive they could care or less about what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    I hate to break the news to you guys.. but I’m positive they could care or less about what you think.
    Youre probably correct, but if we don’t at least make an effort to be heard, we leave the floor open to the exact people we DON’T want to make decisions for us. I have no personal need for an AR, but I do like my 2 semi autos and chances are, someone might clue in that other firearms use a similar action and try to ban them all. You need to speak your mind!