Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Fly in Hunt

Re: Family Fly in Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Do they know how to use a compass?

Set up a little orienteering course, with prizes at each station...
    Thats a great idea. Learn some bush skills and search for treasure at the same time. They love going geocaching.
    thks

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    I read Pat Ferguson's Gone Huntin books 10 years ago and I've been wanting to take my family on a fly in adventure ever since. Its finally time and I've booked a plane out of Watson Lake for August 20-30. The crew will consist of me, my wife and our four kids. The Kids are ages 6, 7, 10 and 11. I've picked a lake that is fairly high in elevation to avoid some bugs (if thats possible) and looks to have decent terrain for the kids to hike and glass. I have no idea what we will find for animals but it would be cool to come home with something to complete the experience. I picked up a light weight 12 man tipi and wood stove but I'm a little concerned there wont be enough wood to burn. We are planning on bringing a two burner propane stove with a grill for cooking breakfast and dinners and I will probably bring some freeze dried food to cook on the trail just in case. We will have a small inflatable boat to help get around and and gov data shows some fish to play with. I've been on many hunting trips and one fly in backpack trip but this will be the first remote trip with the kids. Trying to cover all of my bases with planning and am wondering if anyone out there can provide any suggestions or tips that I could use to help make sure this is a memorable trip in a good way. Thanks

Ryan
    I really enjoyed reading Fergie's book 'Gone Huntin'. I often think about getting it out of the library and reading it to my kids. Maybe that is something you could do. Bring a copy along and read some of the stories together around the fire. That's if you have a fire.
    Good luck, have fun and happy hunting!

Sounds like a great trip. Amazing people spend tons of money to go to other places when you can rent a float plane and hit a lake in beautiful "nowhere BC". Your kids will remember that trip forever I'm sure.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    solar charging system for kids electronic games, music, phones etc.
    None of this s&%t would be allowed in my camp. Kids need to do without that garbage. There are other ways to entertain one's self
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Ya I'm interested to see how they do with less. Try not to spoil them but .......

This may seem like a stupid question however I am going to ask anyway. What do you do for crappers on fly in trips when your base camp is beside a lake? Dig a hole? bring some plywood and build a box? bring a seat? go for a walk? I'm sure some of these lakes must get a lot of groups each year. This isn't normally an issue for me but we have a sign at our house that says "Welcome to the house of pee and poo" for a reason.

You are going to have a blast!! Hunting with my kids has been one of the most rewarding things of my life. My one son started hunting with me at 4 years age. He became an amazing outdoorsman and by 14 I trusted my life with him. Pats books are nothing but fun! I have read all his books 3 times over. You know your kids better than anyone. Take what each kid needs to be happy. As long as my son was hunting, he was happy, rain or shine.

Tuning in here. Hoping to do a northern bc atv camp in the mk this year with a 5 and 3 year old. Want to get them started early and timing wise is a good year to do it with family dynamics. Hoping to go with a cousin and their family of high schoolers so have g the help will be good. Let us know how it goes.
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

When my kids were young we went on more than a few remote hunts and fishing trips. Our family doc was also a hunter with kids and he actually suggested taking a bit of the common antibiotics along in the event of one of one of the usual e/n/t bugs. Glad to have them a couple of times.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    None of this s&%t would be allowed in my camp. Kids need to do without that garbage. There are other ways to entertain one's self
    Ummm ok Adolf!
    Ever been stuck in a tent for three days, or more?
    Good way to get pre teens to be turned off hunting.
    It's not the 1990's. Haha things have changed my friend.
    A millennial without electronics? Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    Ummm ok Adolf!
    Ever been stuck in a tent for three days, or more?
    Good way to get pre teens to be turned off hunting.
    It's not the 1990's. Haha things have changed my friend.
    A millennial without electronics? Hahahahaha
    I'm im not sure it would turn them off hunting. A deck of cards can be the start of many games.

It would be a great opportunity to show them the simple things in life. Teach them skills that they won't learn in school or on a screen. Kids these days wouldn't survive 1 day in the bush!