Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Family Fly in Hunt

Re: Family Fly in Hunt

Back in the very early 1980's we took a similar trip to Fern Lake, out of Mackenzie with Northern Thunderbird Air, on their de Havilland DHC-3 Otter. Trip included 11 of us, myself, wife, two sons, 11 & 12 yrs old, hunting partner, his wife and their two sons, another hunting partner with his son and one other friend. All kids were 10 to 12 yrs. old. Even back then it was a little on the expensive side as we needed two flights to get all of us and all of our gear in………..BUT it was worth it. The kids, now in their mid/late 40's still talk about it today. We had 3 rubber rafts, one a so-called 4 man but they must have been very small men, with a 1.25hp Gamefisher on it, another larger one with a 4hp and a smaller raft with only oars.

Kids could catch 5+ lb. rainbow right from the shore and up to 10 lb. out in the rafts on the lake. They supplied supper for the group for the first couple days. We built a fenced off area in a very small cove of the lake, with hip-waders on we pounded some posts into the lake, strung a small piece of chicken wire around the posts to the shore, weighed the bottom down with rocks and had a fresh water pen. A couple of days before the Otter returned for their pickup, they would take a large cooler with them in the raft and when they got a good size fish they would put it into the cooler with fresh water and head back to the pen, release the fish in the pen and head back out. (As soon as we heard the plane coming in, the fish were dispatched and carefully packed for the trip home.) Shezam, fresh fish going home. WARNING: Fern Lake is a catch & release lake nowadays, it wasn't back then.

We did some hunting but the game gods were against us, we saw moose, quite a few but all cows, we saw elk but only a mountain over through the spotting scope, same as caribou but they still had a good time even in the rain.

Wives and kids and the single friend stayed 1 week and when the plane came in to pick them up another hunting partner came in. The 4 of us stayed another week and we did get a moose and elk.

Three years later I took my two sons back in to Fern along with two other hunting partners, this time out of Fort Nelson in Liard Air's de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver flown by Urs, another good trip for moose, elk and caribou.

Over the years we made quite a few trips into that area and to cut costs down we would get a bunch of guys & gals together and pick different times to go in. First group would fly in, set up camp, hunt, and when second group came in, first group went out, so forth, last group would take camp out, that way you cut out one flight.

Sounds like some great trips and I like the shared flight idea. I can see how this type of hunting could become addictive!

Good for you guys!! What a great way to spend quality time with your family.
    Thanks for sharing your adventure.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Fantastic hunt report! Way to go All in the Family!

Bumping this thread with a note for new readers to go to post 26, I suspect many are missing out on the great update.

Great thread, awesome story and amazing photo's!!

Getting your kids to experince what life is really about will help them prepare for the real world!! They will remember this for a lifetime

Thanks for sharing and bring us along!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I am so glad I looked at this post. One of the most enjoyable reads, tremendous photos, great story and recall of events, and a family adventure of a life time. So happy I found your story. Thanks for sharing the whole experience, not just harvesting the goat. I found myself disappointed when the story ended, could have read a lot more. Your kids have great parents, be proud of yourselves.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

what an interesting take on a family vacation. Well done.
    I can't believe the size of that trout the young one managed to get into from shore ... wow!

Incredible. Best thing I’ve read in a long while.
    What an awesome trip to do with your family, your wife is a keeper!
    I’ve thought about taking my son on a similar trip, but would have to be with an adult other than my wife lol.
    That tipitent with stove must have made all the difference in keeping little ones warm, dry, and happy?
    Congrats on a trip you will cherish forever I’m sure.
    Twist and pull.

Sounds like you all had a blast. What good memories. One day I will hopefully do the same thing.
    thanks for sharing with us

Great trip!.....after driving up to Watson lake,then heading west to Swift River,where we used to have the river to ourselves, but last time only to find about six jet boats already on the river, any hope of a wilderness moose hunt was gone...I would like to do a fly in,but have absolutely no idea of where to start ,who to charter with or where to go...any advice ,experience is most welcome