Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Fly in Hunt

Family Fly in Hunt

I read Pat Ferguson's Gone Huntin books 10 years ago and I've been wanting to take my family on a fly in adventure ever since. Its finally time and I've booked a plane out of Watson Lake for August 20-30. The crew will consist of me, my wife and our four kids. The Kids are ages 6, 7, 10 and 11. I've picked a lake that is fairly high in elevation to avoid some bugs (if thats possible) and looks to have decent terrain for the kids to hike and glass. I have no idea what we will find for animals but it would be cool to come home with something to complete the experience. I picked up a light weight 12 man tipi and wood stove but I'm a little concerned there wont be enough wood to burn. We are planning on bringing a two burner propane stove with a grill for cooking breakfast and dinners and I will probably bring some freeze dried food to cook on the trail just in case. We will have a small inflatable boat to help get around and and gov data shows some fish to play with. I've been on many hunting trips and one fly in backpack trip but this will be the first remote trip with the kids. Trying to cover all of my bases with planning and am wondering if anyone out there can provide any suggestions or tips that I could use to help make sure this is a memorable trip in a good way. Thanks

Ryan

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Family Fly in Hunt

Sounds awesome. I look forward to a full report with pics and video. I did a horse hunt last fall with 3 boys, 8, 10 and 12. Certainly not hardcore, given their ages, but a helluva lot of fun. One of the dads wants to do something more epic, along your planned lines, in 2020 for his 40th, so make sure you let us know how it worked out!

I don't have kids so they're always a learning experience for me. My buddy bought a couple pails of Mountain House freeze dried food on Amazon. I looked a little squinty eyed at it, as he's a fantastic camp cook, but it proved very valuable: if you're coming back to camp after dark in less than optimal weather, or you're getting out of the weather at lunch, or you're trying to get going in the morning and you've got somewhat cold, tired, bored or cantankerous kids? That freeze dried food works great to buy you some time and space to get your shit together and get kids settled down. I can't recommend that enough. Worked awesome.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Wood was a problem for us on our fly in last fall. Couldn't find a thing that would come anywhere close to burning. The funny thing is that we sat right beside a massive pile of wood while waited for our plane out to the lake, and we even had room for an extra 150lbs. Talk about tunnel vision. With the kids I think fire would be extremely important, at least for mine it would be. I looked around a bit since I got back, and duraflame makes a log meant for stoves, they say it'll burn for six hours. Or just make sure you have room and weight available in the plane for some wood.

Delorme InReach or a sat phone. It starts to feel pretty lonely in the middle of nowhere if somebody comes down with a fever.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Delorme InReach or a sat phone. It starts to feel pretty lonely in the middle of nowhere if somebody comes down with a fever.
    Chairs for the kids at camp, solar charging system for kids electronic games, music, phones etc.
    They need a bit of fun, if there is down time and tent bound from weather.
    Have fun, and sounds like a great trip ahead.

Thanks Guys, This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

What about a kids mini bow? I have one called a lil rascal and it's great fun. Set up a cardboard target and it's hours if consuming fun.

Target practice, play 'horse' like basketball, even pound a grouse if they are available.

I'm late 20s and have 2 of these kids bows and they are some of the most fun you can have with your pants on

Bring some manufactured fire logs if you got some extra space on the plane, they work good in the little wood stoves. Then supplement with wood you find around camp.

This is all good stuff. Spend so much time thinking about the hunt and survival but need make sure they have something to do during downtimes. Looks like I have some serious fire log research and testing to do. I was thinking about burning wood pellets but I don't think they burn hot enough. Tested burning some in a coffee can with holes in it and it worked ok but not a lot of heat.

Do they know how to use a compass?

Set up a little orienteering course, with prizes at each station...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..