Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency outdoors First aid

Re: Emergency outdoors First aid

Quote Originally Posted by TARCHER View Post
    I like the kiss principal. Keep it simple stupid. Like Steve says bleeding control is a big one meaning some dressings and kling or gauze for starters. How big a kit do you have room for. An LTV 1200 and lifepak 15 would be nice. Nice to have some morphine or fentanyl iv for your buddy who just stuck his axe thru his foot
    Thank you my friend..one of THE HIGHEST trained Paramedics in BC..always respected you when you dropped in for a Medivac..
    And i concur....the issue is not the knowledge..it is what best suits the average hunter/outdoorsman/woman what can be comprehended..retained and remembered in a stressful emergency situation as well as the gear in your kit that will ALWAYS be there.thank you Mr.T.
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Thank you my friend..one of THE HIGHEST trained Paramedics in BC..always respected you when you dropped in for a Medivac..
    And i concur....the issue is not the knowledge..it is what best suits the average hunter/outdoorsman/woman what can be comprehended..retained and remembered in a stressful emergency situation as well as the gear in your kit that will ALWAYS be there.thank you Mr.T.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Steve your too kind. Without all the kit and government issued toys I am like all of you with a first aid kit and trust me mine is basic. Do miss dropping into WL and seeing your smiling face. Seems like awhile ago but loving retirement.

Won't bore you with details but bringing back some memories. Russ and I (Steve you know Russ) landed in Kemess for a hunting accident. A pickup truck is there with a young tough first nations guy, good guy too, who was skinning a caribou and ran his knife across his palm. All good. They had it wrapped well and bleeding controlled but according to his partners this was serious requiring further attention. Well as we know before you deliver to trauma center you better know what your reporting. We unwrapped that hand of the torn t shirts and oh my, not only was it a gapping wound but it started bleeding again. So here is us heading to VGH plastics as he couldn't flex some of his digits (tendon damage)but son of a bitch despite direct pressure, elevation etc it took awhile to calm things down. More layers of 4x4s and kling wrap it was done. Should have left the t shirt on, lol
    Last edited by TARCHER; 03-01-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Two things I keep in the truck kit: A bottle of saline solution. And a small bottle of Listerine. Listerine was designed as a disinfectant for surgery - not a mouth wash. So, I keep some around in case of cuts etc.

Hmm will do the first module bleeding..it's a presentation based on KISS..principles not rules..it's what I carry..and what is expected in the outdoors protected by the good Samaritan act..
    Please leave the discussion for this post..leave the separate presentation free of comments, suggestions so it flows and is one continuous presentation thought.
    If you guys/gals think it was worthwhile I will do one on chest pain..cardiac..one on # fractures and one on heat stroke..etc
    This may not what you expect from OFA, or other courses..it is however principles, simple advice you may remember under stress of an emergency...with gear you will carry with you.
    We will deal with what is bad..ie shock..principles..when to get help involved..ie MEDIVAC BCAS or 442..
    Above all primary thought...DO NO HARM.....
    HOPE the information to be presented is useful..and you never need it.
    Cheers
    Steven Rupp

Great idea Steve. Good on you and your tremendous wealth of real experience.

Hi, level 3 OFA for the past 13 years working in the forest industry. Good thread. I dont think people take their first aid kits serious enough. If I get time id love to add more but the one thing I have that i like to pass on is a dry bag for your kit. I use a kayak dry bag for the kit i built. Keeps it water proof no matter where you throw it. Always im a seperate pouch on my pack amd doesnt make any sound when packed. Just a thought.

Good to have a first aid course and a first aid kit. You tube is an excellent place for information and to refresh one's memory. I was a level three first responder with spinal for many years. I has come in handy a time or two.
    I think a course for the outdoors person is an excellent idea especially from a person who is well skilled and spent much time in the outdoors. Necessity is the mother of invention and I am sure there have been some ingenious ideas hatched in the field under some pretty hairy situations. Sharing them would be an excellent idea.

A great thread.

If I recall Steven mentioned about introducing the subject years ago.

To start things we should be well aware of our hunting partner/s health issues or potential health issues before venturing into the wilderness & be able to administer emergency care/first aid if needed. From cardiac problems including family history, allergies, epilepsy, accidents,…..etc.
    Who knows? An EpiPen used for allergic reactions might have saved the life of BB.

Another device to consider is a defibrillator.

Considering taking training in both this year. You never know!

Backcountry Cardiac Emergencies
    https://www.frontiersafetyandsupply....ac-emergencies
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I just found out I cant dictate the presentation so plan B.
    defibrillator is non start in fields..it is $5k.very tempormental..and would assume you would lug it to top of mts..or have it with you or close..

anayphlaxys..is strange it gets worse as you get more exposure..usually first episode is not fatal..my wife has allergies we have ALL the gear..her episodes have gotten worse..very strange BB did not have a epi pen with him most certainly having experienced allergies anyphylaxis prior..
    I am typing up with plan b on bleeding..
    Srupp