Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency outdoors First aid

Emergency outdoors First aid

hmmmm after a phone call today I started thinking about emergency outdoors first aid..tips and tricks..do and donts..

probably bleeding is the most frequent outdoors mishap...some can be minor..some can be a distraction and some can be life threatening..

the obvious solution ? hunt with a Paramedic..lol

there are some things that might be beneficial...take a first aid course, pack supplies you can and would use..

I am a bit hesitant because human nature being what it is I don't want a laywers subpoena because Steven SAID do this...

throwing this out on any interest ? and how to do it the smart way...for you and me..

cheers

Steven

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Emergency outdoors First aid

Very smart starting with the legal disclaimer. It is necessary IMHO

I always thought falls and anaphylactic shock would be the big ones (next to heart attacks, stroke and exposure)

Never thought too much about bleeding. I guess it's time to start packing a proper tourniquet rather than assuming we can improvise with a piece of clothing when the time comes.

Good post Steven.

I recently took an emergency first responder course with a local volunteer fire hall, can't hurt to ask?
    The course was insanely in-depth and taught me a lot of things I thought I knew, but actually didn't - Definitely worthwhile. It helped me gather an idea of what I need for an actual back country first aid kit as well.

I know there are specialized wilderness first aid courses as well but I don't fully understand their purpose other than encouraging "adapt and improvise" a bit more.

Pemby_mess Guest

If one is younger, I'd definitely reccomend taking the OFA rather than the wilderness or OEC variants. The OFA is more versatile for employment should it ever be needed.

Wilderness courses adapt techniques toward improvisation, don't make some of the basic assumptions a OFA course would, and perhaps focus a little more attention on specific outdoor related maladies/occurences. However the basic protocols are virtually identical, and a pass on an 80hr OFA is at least as valuable as one on an equivalent WFA. OEC i think is actually 120 hrs so it kind of acts like a blend, and if you were never planning on needing it as a work qualification, would probably be the best one to go for as a recreational outdoors person IMO

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmmm after a phone call today I started thinking about emergency outdoors first aid..tips and tricks..do and donts..

probably bleeding is the most frequent outdoors mishap...some can be minor..some can be a distraction and some can be life threatening..

the obvious solution ? hunt with a Paramedic..lol

there are some things that might be beneficial...take a first aid course, pack supplies you can and would use..

I am a bit hesitant because human nature being what it is I don't want a laywers subpoena because Steven SAID do this...

throwing this out on any interest ? and how to do it the smart way...for you and me..

cheers

Steven
    retirement career?

Great idea Steven. Lots of bushcraft info on this site but not a ton of survival first aid.

We carry quik-clot and crazy glue. Haven't had to use it. I have quik-clot in my belt when I'm cutting firewood too.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I've held my Level 2 certification for over 20 years. I never challenge the test. I always retake the course. I also organize and push for a refresher course with or without an instructor in between courses.

What scares me the most, is someone taking a one day First Aid course, and then thinking they are good to go.

Practice, proper mind-set, more practice, and even more practice (and experience) is what makes someone prepared to deal with a medical emergency. Especially one that occurs in the back country.

IF you are interested, in any way, in being the "go to" person when and if there is a medical situation, then take a course. Take another course. Arrange for practice sessions. See if you can sit in on a Level 2 or 3 course for a day. Talk to your hunting partners if they are willing to chip in for (and learn how to use) an AED. Head down to your local BC Ambulance detachment and ask if you can go for a "ride along" every now and then. Inquire at work if they need another FA attendant because you are willing to step up (most will/should pay for your time and the course). Get involved with your work's Health and Safety Committee.

Prepare as much as you can if it's something you are ready to do. Don't just take a one day course and buy a fanny pack first aid kit and think you are prepared for a femoral arterial bleed, a heart attack, or an epileptic seizure during your next hunting trip.

If you are interested in saving someone's life, the best tools you can have are the means and knowledge on how to use them.

Just my two cents, and I stand to be corrected.

Good thread Steven....thx

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    If one is younger, I'd definitely reccomend taking the OFA rather than the wilderness or OEC variants. The OFA is more versatile for employment should it ever be needed.

Wilderness courses adapt techniques toward improvisation, don't make some of the basic assumptions a OFA course would, and perhaps focus a little more attention on specific outdoor related maladies/occurences. However the basic protocols are virtually identical, and a pass on an 80hr OFA is at least as valuable as one on an equivalent WFA. OEC i think is actually 120 hrs so it kind of acts like a blend, and if you were never planning on needing it as a work qualification, would probably be the best one to go for as a recreational outdoors person IMO
    I agree, I have ofa level 2, intense but good course....very good for the resume as well....

Lol sorry..i was getting so busy with questions on fly in hunts..i wasn't answering the phone..result..folks started dropping by cuz our phone wasn't being answered..lol great visit with great folks..

Over the 38 year carreer..far more heart attacks from fishermen than hunters..sudden excitement ?
    Almost every hunter has cut himself..it just location, intent, severity..a lot of bleeding can be stopped..however ALL bleeding will eventually stop.cuts can be from opening soup cans, gutting a moose or removing a broad head. .however they can also be falling and fracturing a femur and the sharp bones cutting tissue and veins, arteries from the inside as they exit..compound #.

The OFA" is a GREAT course..however as pointed out you must, have to adapt the principles..as its difficult to bring a 30# first aid kit on a flight, horseback...if it's not with you..it's no damn good.
    We look at the end goal..ie stop the bleeding..there are principles to guide us, some absolutes. ..but the end result is the same keep that blood going round and round.
    A # ankle may result in blood loss, however that blood loss may pool stretch the tissues and result in loss of distal circulation. .result is loss of the foot?
    On the other hand a disruption in the arterial wall may result in massive squirting blood loss..requiring significant direct pressure, position of the patient laying down..less pressure..and even use of proximal pressure points.eventually blood loss will mean less pressure..which results in more success in your TX. Loss of blood is mucho" importanto" it carries the 02" throughout your body and is what allows the brain to function..loss of sufficient blood will render the patient unconscious. .but some times the results of hypovolemia"..are not immediately apparant..confusion and logical mistakes. .may wander off and vote NDP..

I will consider your suggestions on how to get this out there so myself nor this site takes any heat.
    I would like to use my knowledge, experience as a Paramedic..and hunter to help everyone both be better prepared and react more appropriately. .we obviously have lots of experienced EMA..OFA...and d there are Tim..John..etc Advanced life Support members on here tremendously well above my level..
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmm my neighbor..great guy Peter..he shot a good buck, dragged it back to truck only to suffer a massive terminal heart attack..and died..
    Also big bore 14. .to the ground..and young man in his prime..i wasn't that far away..ands the crow flies. .but might as well been on the moon..whatever the cause..sometimes we can make a difference...and regardless of the outcome..it is always better to have tried to have been prepared and then do your best..one day it may be you needing the help.
    Steven