Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency outdoors First aid

Re: Emergency outdoors First aid

Like others have said the OFA level 2 and 3 courses are a great start. But they really don't equip someone very well for the improvised nature of wilderness first Aid.

You almost want to have both courses under your belt and practice the skills regularly.
    The 1&2 day courses don't really teach much more than CPR and choking.

As for First aid kits- it seems many of the commercial kits have a lot of filler supplies in them and not enough of the important stuff.

You almost want to build a kit based on products and tools you have experience with using and have multiple uses.

WWBC:
    Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this first day of March finds you well.

When I'm teaching the Survival/First Aid night for our club's annual CORE course I strongly suggest that the students take as much training as they possibly can, as others have said there's no replacement for actual hands on experience.

I was certified 3 times as an OFA Level II and like the previous poster, always took the full course and attended any extra practice sessions - it's more time in the saddle I figured.

One thing I'm not a huge proponent of is buying a ready made First Aid kit, because many folks who do so won't open it until they need it and at that point it's a little late to find the contents or lack thereof.

My suggestion is to build your own kit based upon what you know how to use. If you've taken a single one day course and are competent applying an adhesive dressing, then carry that and some cleaning towelettes. No need for a field suture kit, etc - you know?

Also, if we build our own kit, then we're more likely to be familiar with where everything is in it, or so it is with this semi-old guy anymore.

Lastly, I try to package everything in freezer bags and label them with a sharpie, as it makes it much easier to find in an emergency situation and for sure if you're lucky enough to have a helper/bystander along it's faster for them to find the abdominal pads if it's labeled.

Thanks to the OP for the thread, it's never a bad time to get our First Aid kit in order for next season.

Dwayne

100% agree with you Dwayne on all your points.

I've done level2, have a current advanced level3, 120 hours of wilderness ( long expired) and most recently my First responder through my VFD.

A re-cert every 3 years really isn't enough to stay current. When I just did my first Responder I was amazing how quickly I had become rusty.

Some Nice things to have in a kit are:
    -Benadryl
    -opsite bandage ( clear waterproof/breathable bandage for minor wounds)
    - high quality roller bandage
    - triangular bandages
    - Tape
    -stari strips
    - trinksure of benzoin(
    - 1 oz Saline twist tops
    -non adherent dressing.
    -BZK wipes

its nice to have items with many uses.

Pemby_mess Guest

OEC has a yearly modulated refresher. It's got a pretty good system going. Geared toward ski patrollers, but highly relevant to anybody recreating in the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post

Some Nice things to have in a kit are:
    -Benadryl
    -opsite bandage ( clear waterproof/breathable bandage for minor wounds)
    - high quality roller bandage
    - triangular bandages
    - Tape
    -stari strips
    - trinksure of benzoin(
    - 1 oz Saline twist tops
    -non adherent dressing.
    -BZK wipes

its nice to have items with many uses.
    I like your list, I would add a few things to it, Medical glue, painkillers and anti inflammatory's. I knicked my finger will cleaning a moose last year and there was no way any bandage was going to stop it from bleeding, I cleaned it up and covered it in glue and withing fifteen minutes it was fully sealed up and hard. I would strongly recommend glue for when you are on long trips where you cant get proper treatment within a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Over the 38 year carreer..far more heart attacks from fishermen than hunters..sudden excitement ?
    Fishermen are out of shape because they sit in a boat and guzzle beer all day long, hence the higher heart attack rate than hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

My basic first aid expired a few years ago... I plan to do an outdoor course soon. Can't do them enough. In a high pressure situation it's hard to remember everything, practice, practice, practice. A few years ago I was first 'on scene' for a heart attack - intense, and hard to remember how many compression's etc.

For my son's cub scouts I recently invited a mountain rescue volunteer to give a mini-seminar. After the seminar I added a couple things to my day pack - a small tarp and a mini bivvy sack. Even if you're close to help (I hike a fair bit around Cypress etc while my son takes his ski lesson) - being able to keep someone warm and dry could make a HUGE difference.

There are wilderness first aid courses available. Basically, IMO, the higher the level of first aid training you can take the better. What are we hunters most likely to encounter? Maybe fractures, sprains, dehydration/heat exhaustion, hypothermia, maybe cardiac issues for less fit hunt partners, minor cuts, burns, and of course more serious issues like choking, major bleeds from knives, branches (quadding), and god forbid, firearms, and also anaphylaxis, heart attack, and shock. Can you or your first aid kit handle that and are you able to call for emergency extraction in a worst case scenario (SPOT, InReach, sat phone, etc.)?

How about knowing the medical history of those around you? Like buddy has high blood pressure and he didn't bring enough meds with him, or diabetes, asthma, etc. If someone is going into the backcountry one needs to be prepared and one needs to also take responsibility for oneself like knowing how much medication is needed and telling folks around you what to do in an emergency. If you have a medical condition that can go south, you also better ensure you have a way to call for help. I always have a FA kit on hand and a way to survive up on a mountain overnight if need be. A serious fracture may be a non-mobile situation and I would not presume that even in pressing the emergency button on the SPOT that I would be evac'd before 24 hours. Does anyone have any experience with response time once that button is pressed? Just curious.
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 03-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Hmmm great conversation to start and impressed with the knowledge and courses repeatably taken..
    Hmm first compressions are 100/minute.
    As far as SPOT goes. .it depends on location and time of the emergency request.
    Remote fly in..unless triggered in the early morning most likely won't see anyone that day, no night flights unless 442 military get involved ie plane crash.
    The emergency activation..contacts YOUR contacts however police and ESS. .BC ambulance and rescue are contacted..your GPS location starts determining the best method of locating..then reaching and extracting you..and thus the fastest method on the first attempt.and where suitable rescue machines are located in relation to you..big difference south tip of Teslin lake 15 kms off it..back in the woods versus onthe back hills just outside Fort NNelson. ..or on a beach on Calvert island..
    Daylight..time of call..proximity of paramedics..police..rescue and machines..sometimes clicks..sometimes grinds .
    There should be the realization in one's planning that a remote flight in on floats for sheep way in the baaaaaack" country won't be instantaneous.
    Steven

I've taken the SJA First aid course at least 3 time snow and every time I do I learn more and wish I could afford to take one every year. Last time I was fortunate that my employer covered it, but I'm retiring from that industry so cannot rely on that financial support any more.

I feel fortunate that I have never had to deal with a major incident in 50 years of hunting. I've cut myself seriously a few times setting up camp.

One thing I have learned is that I should not use a hatchet. Those things are out to get me.
    Last edited by MichelD; 03-01-2018 at 02:07 PM.