Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your favourite knife?

Re: What’s your favourite knife?

Here is a beauty made for me by a good friend Don Heaton aka Don Leo Johnathan.It was dreamed up over a conversation about a gent who killed a grizzly with a knife when he was attacked when packing a moose.I think Don was better suited for tangling with bears than I but he built the knife for me with that in mind.Hence the finger grooves and the heavy hilt and blade length.It is with out a doubt my favourite.
    Last edited by GEF; 03-02-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Bucklite Max for big game
    Buck 110 for fish/small game

I want to get a Grohmann #2 fish/game knife, looks like a handy belt knife.

Thumbs up Re: What’s your favourite knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    My main go to is my Buck 110 folder that I bought in early 1980. It’s been sharpened more times than I can count and still holds a great edge.
    Same here. Except I got my first one in 1969.
    It has been sharpened so many times the blade is now somewhat shorter than my trigger finger.
    Of course I did collect two more over the years.
    These have always been my main Go-To for field work.
    Unlikely that will ever change at this stage in life...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    That's where the Outdoor Edge Razor Blade kicks the Havalon's butt. The OE has a far more rigid frame and blade than that flimsy Havalon finger slicer. Save the Havalon for caping duties where you'd normally use a scalpel.

Yeah except the OE blades are junk.
    Havalon blades will last a season, you need 3 OE blades to skin a deer.

The issue is people using these scalpel style blades for more than they're intended to do.
    They are skinning knives, not breaking knives.

I carry 3 ....

1. Cold Steel Master hunter. Excellent money for about $100 USD if you shop around online. Have had it for 10 years now. Very nice, grippy and long handle. Great size blade that is 3/16" thick so it makes for a perfect utility knife to chop down branches, make kindling etc ... Holds an edge very well so i use it for a lot of my butchering in the field as well especially when working joints or around bones as I don't want to snap off a Havalon blade. it's also made in Japan, not china so that's always nice. The sheath on it is garbage as you can see in the pic, so i made my own leather one. Took this pic before I finished wet-forming the sheath and burnishing the edges, but you get the idea. i think I made the sheath 4 years ago now and it's been perfect.

2. This Outdoor Edge Zip knife weighs about 2.5 oz i think and its great for cutting through the hide and hair to save the edge on my other knives. Tail to skull, down each leg and anything else you need. 5 bucks so far and still holding edge just fine. Don't REALLY need this one, but my GF got it for me as a gift.

3. Havalon - These things are cheap enough that everyone should have one. Replacable blades that are always razor sharp. Great for deboning and delicate work.

Out of season, when i'm not going to kill anything i carry just one, my Spyderco Paramilitary folder in S30V. Had this one for about 10 years now as well ant it's been superb. They're not cheap though. Last i checked they were $280 + tax at House of Knives. I think i got mine on eBay in 2008 for $130-140 USD.

Last edited by twoSevenO; 02-27-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Hmmm used a lot of knives over 40 years.some run of the mill over the counter..others special order..ie my Buck whitetail special knife.
    My go to knife these days ? I have been truly Blessed to have Mr. Marty Beets make a custom knife for my " retirement" resignation..end of 38 years as Paramedic..it was a surprise gift from my coworkers, it is a special crucible steel , very fine grain, takes a very good, great sharp edge that lasts.
    It does a phenomenal job on any animal, grizz, black bear, moose, deer, elk...however it IS so special I am really nervous on losing it.
    It was encouraging to see IronNoggin using a smaller knife..too often folks are reaching for a Bowie knife..much too big.
    I have both a Havalon and a caping knife..for ..caping..
    I also keep a Bog Dog in d2 steel with resperine" think truck tire like handle for camp knife..hacking, batoning" really tough knife..
    Cheers
    Steven

I always have a Leatherman Wave on my belt but I have a couple Bark River knives that I love to carry because they are just such high quality tools and I prefer using them to the Havalon I keep in the bottom of my pack.

I compare a nice knife to Gransfors Bruks axes-- sure a plastic Fiskars will do the same job, but it is a crappy plastic tool not a hand-forged heirloom.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

"CASE KNIFE"
    Sod buster
    "BUCK KNIFE"

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Ontario Knife Company, Black Bird SK-5, full tang, G10 handle, 154CM steel. Use it for everything on elk moose bear deer. Caping Aping small Buck knife or buddies Olfa blades.