Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your favourite knife?

Re: What’s your favourite knife?

An ancient Schrade 'Uncle Henry' Wolverine ....
    Buck 110 ...

I bought a Bark River Featherweight Fox River in Elmax steel towards the end of last season and I was able to gut/skin one deer and skin 2 others. It still remained sharp after and it’s also a stainless which is nice when you go on the long hunts and get rained on. It will now accompany me on all my mountain hunts but I still bring my havalon for caping.

Favorite is a Mora, as the Scandinavian grind can be touched up by a monkey in the field. They are also cheap, durable and feature quality steel. I use a wood handled one which now perpetually smells like deer blood, but really the 511 is unbeatable for $14 Canadian: http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...m?product=1755

I've also used an esee RC3, which was a great knife but unnecessarily heavy-duty for field dressing, harder to sharpen, and the sharp edge of the finger choil could potentially pierce a hide if you're not careful.

Either of my Stevenson Knives are my favorites. Amazing quality blades and both sheep horn handles

-- I grew up loving the Finlander and used it for decades and now since I love knives and their look and feel I found a knife that is absolutely unique in design and iz awesome it's called Chicago Cutlery and i fell for it's appearance and feel, and sharp and stays sharp. I'd recommend this TM to anyone to check out 4 sure. Also the Original Bowie knife my girl gave to me and it's good for gutting and skinning mule deer. Beauty knife 6 inch blade.
    Jelly -- Chicago Cutlery and also the Finlander plus Original Bowie knife 4 gutting and skinning -- knifes are the coolest
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-27-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Knives are beautiful

Outdoor edge flip and zip with the mini folding saw for me, small compact and litteraly like a zipper when skinning. Little saws great for cutting the brisket, tree branches for ground blind or cutting tree branches when putting a tree stand in.

Some really slick looking knifes you guys got though, I bought one of the havalon pirantas, haven’t tested her out yet figured it would be a little better for deboning, anyone got opinions on those ?

I have a Boker 90 but really, I have got more done with a Buck Lite than any other knife.

Quote Originally Posted by buckhunter76 View Post
    Outdoor edge flip and zip with the mini folding saw for me, small compact and litteraly like a zipper when skinning. Little saws great for cutting the brisket, tree branches for ground blind or cutting tree branches when putting a tree stand in.

Some really slick looking knifes you guys got though, I bought one of the havalon pirantas, haven’t tested her out yet figured it would be a little better for deboning, anyone got opinions on those ?
    I don't really like Havalons for deboning there's no strength to the blade for digging in to a joint and twisting the knife to pop the tendons and open it up. I've broke a couple blades trying I don't even try any more, its dangerous. But they're silly razor sharp for other work just don't force them and use them like a real knife.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by buckhunter76 View Post

Not the greatest for deboning if you are someone who tends to touch the bone with the blade. Doesn't take a lot to start to roll the edge if you are against anything other than meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I don't really like Havalons for deboning there's no strength to the blade for digging in to a joint and twisting the knife to pop the tendons and open it up. I've broke a couple blades trying I don't even try any more, its dangerous. But they're silly razor sharp for other work just don't force them and use them like a real knife.
    That's where the Outdoor Edge Razor Blade kicks the Havalon's butt. The OE has a far more rigid frame and blade than that flimsy Havalon finger slicer. Save the Havalon for caping duties where you'd normally use a scalpel.

Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !