Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: UTV Vs ATV

Re: UTV Vs ATV

I've had a pioneer 500 for about a year, no complaints once I did a few things. First and foremost upsize from 24" to 26" tires. The "gap" between 1st and 2nd mentioned above was noticeably better as was the general performance of the transmission. It kind of felt clunky and loud with the stock 24's but became a whole new machine with the 26's. I actually believe the rig may have been designed around the 26's and the 24's were supplied stock cause they are cheaper and tons of buyers swap tires almost right away anyway. This obviously also helps with the ground clearance as well.
    2nd, properly adjust the clutch....its very easy to do, lots of info on the web on how to. When set up properly you do not let off the gas to shift, you can power right through the shift smoothly.

with these changes 2nd gear still carries a lot of bottom end, I hauled a moose all our gear and 2 other hunters close to a km up a VERY steep section of gas line and never had to drop out of 2nd gear.

width wise, at 50" it will go anywhere a quad will. where the quad will have the advantage will be if you want to actually go through the timber to recover a critter, the height of the SxS roll bar/roof will limit you here. Overall manoeverability I gotta give the edge to the quad.

Comfort definately goes to the SxS, not only for the passenger, but i find I am not nearly as tired/sore after a day cruising in the SxS as I was after a day on the quad. Ability to have a roof,windshield etc also obviously adds to the comfort of the SxS.

Stability on the surface goes to the quad I think with its lower center of gravity, However when I removed the rear sway bars on my pioneer it made a world of difference in uneven terrain. I would not suggest this if you like to haul ass everywhere as it will increase tipping issues during high speed cornering. Of course if your into high speed bombing around....you're probaly not buying a pioneer 500!!!

All in all, having owned and used both, I think the small SXS (ie pioneer 500) is the perfect middle ground between a quad and some of the big SXS that are out there....plus its a Honda so you've got probably the best reputation for reliability in that market going for ya!

Hope that helps
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Fantastic input, thank you kindly Willy, I may hit you up for another question here and there as I consider the accessories. How do you haul yours around may I ask?

I have both and I would recommend you stay away from polaris and Honda. Have a look at the can am defender or Yamaha or Kawasaki.

feel free to ask away photoshot! I either haul mine in the box of the truck or in my small utility trailer. Usually use the trailer because it has the back gate that drops down as a ramp...just way to easy getting it in and out!

As far as accesories, there is a ton you can do with a SXS, most of which you can do yourself without paying for the big $$$ factory accessories. The only accessory I bought was the rearview mirror. If you can weld or have access to a friend who welds its only limited by your imagination.....i'll post up a few of my homemade mods here for you.

first and foremost was storage box....just a standard truck box with a piece cut out then welded back together, use the excess material to make the piece that holds jerry can, chainsaw etc

Emerson

I was already admiring your custom roof rack and cargo deck. I was quoted $400 for the rear box kit from the dealer but I wasn't even sure wanted it, your roof rack on the other hand

The twin gun rack for the underside of the roof at $260 seems reasonable, but the shock upgrade to Elka's (not walker evans) at $1350 is something I'm not so sure about. Did you get a windshield with yours?

Tipper, I need to stay within 50" so the Yami and Defender won't work for me. The Can-am Maverick Trail is a 50" option that would work but it's a heavy beast and $7k more with the extras I'd want.
    Last edited by PhotoShot; 02-26-2018 at 09:54 PM.

I have both and I would recommend you stay away from polaris and Honda. Have a look at the can am defender or Yamaha or Kawasaki.
    Quads and SXS's generate more Ford vs Chevy style debates......than Ford vs Chevy!!
    Emerson

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoShot View Post
    How wide is your Yami SxS Pioneerman? I think most trucks with 8' beds are 48" wide between the wheel wells but you can always work around that. I want narrow as I go with all ATV'ers and I can't reasonably expect to hold them up on weekend hunt because I have to pull the chainsaw cord, they are pretty serious about etiquette rightly so.

I have to admit, having the wind and snow/rain out of my face on those long, wet all day alpine rides is also a big draw as well.. and I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot about that if I go the SxS route.
    I actually have a Arctic cat prowler it is 60" wide , you drive over fender wells with ,most utv not between. I know a guy who also pouts his Rhino in his truck. I use a trailer mainly becasue it is safer that climbing into a high truck. Also getting in and out of machine if rails are icy or snow covered can be dangerous. I am older and fall easy but do not bounce well lol. A side by side with a windshield works very well, and with mine the engine is between the two seats so you get heat through engine cover to help keep warmer. If you have time you can look around and find a really good deal with low kms for a great price
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

No, didn't get a windshield on mine...not sold on having one....have ridden with guys who have to stop every 5 minutes to clean the windshield, and then after a seasson, no matter how carefully you try and clean them, the lexan is scratched all to hell.

Roof and rack were pretty easy, 1/8" aluminum bent to fit and attached with muffler clamps...roof rack...well thats where the welder comes in!

Muffler clamps of assorted sizes are your friend! I think the only holes I drilled on the bike anywhere were to attach the checkerplate box to the back rack and mounting a toolbox under the hood. front bumper and brush guard are both attached with muffler clamps....so is my spotting scope mount!

For packing guns the plano hardcase attached to the back cage works really slick, if its not wet out I leave the back cover off and you can get your rifle out Pronto. also attached a couple quad style holders to the back cage, and a single in the cab if your want your rifle really close to hand

Emerson

Bravo on the custom mods...!

I now see a very good reason why I'll get the "removable" windshield, I bet you'd innovate a way to fasten it to the back of the roll cage PDQ when not in use. The Maverick Trail actually has a full glass windshield with included wiper blade.. seriously doubt it's easily removed though.

We bought two 400 Arctic Cats way back when and couldn’t be happier with them.
    They don’t get used as much lately, old age has something to do with that.
    I have a blade on mine for pushing snow, used it the other day, usually once every winter.
    My Dear Wife loves hers and according to her its faster than mine.
    As for reliability they have never been back to the dealer, never had an issue...
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..