Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UTV Vs ATV

Re: UTV Vs ATV

My Yamaha Rhino owes me nothing and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. When my kids were smaller we'd put one between us and one in the box on a cooler. Did a lot of fishing with that rig. Both my kids honed their driving skills with it. It is a bit loud underway but with a window up front and a heater it is hard to beat on a cold day.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    The Pioneer is kind of a goofy setup. We use them at work, along with atv’s. The lack of a box, and low ground clearance coupled with the wide gear spacing tends to make them the worst of all worlds. Not as nimble as an atv, less carry rack capability than an atv, and a poor transmission for what utv’s are good at - balls to the wall screaming through the nasty shit - make them all kind of odd as far as a side by side goes. They do have an attractive price point though, but it comes at the cost of heavy concessions.

As for trail width/maneuverability, they aren’t horrid.
    Interesting what you mention about the transmission. The fact these little Pioneers use a real transmission instead of a CVT seems to be what most reviews cite as the big positive, especially in manual mode with the paddle shifters. Has your experience using the trany in manual mode not been that impressive?

What you mention about ground clearance and the lack of a box on what is a rather large back rack are commonly mentioned in reviews and if I get one I will have the dealer swap out the small factory tires with 17s as well as upgrade the shocks with some walker evens.

With regards to the comments about lack of power and performance, I'm not one to aim for the mud or feel the need for speed, rather I was looking at the Honda Pioneer 500 specifically because I wanted a descent crawler and I was able to lift the rear end off the ground wiht the floor model at the dealer (with the help of another guy). Light weight was another ask as I like being able to manhandle them around in a tight space.

Assuming I can resolve the clearance issue with tire and shock upgrades, and I upgrade the rear rack to a box... does anyone want to say for sure this unit wouldn't be able to go anywhere the ATVs can (generally speaking) for hunting season?

Would suck to get left behind at some point while the others carry on during a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    Why would you buy 1000lb quad at that point you might as well own a side by side. Wait till the cable on ur winch breaks and you can't figure out what to do then.
    A side by side wouldn’t fit in my short box dodge. And I didn’t want a side by side. I wanted the most powerful atv available, with what was the most aggressive tire available at the time. That one was purpose bought and set up for where I hunted elk, after spending 4 hours wrestling a small atv out of a gnarly trail with a big bull elk on the front and back racks on a trail that should only take 1 hour.

Big bikes have their place. Same as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoShot View Post
    Interesting what you mention about the transmission. The fact these little Pioneers use a real transmission instead of a CVT seems to be what most reviews cite as the big positive, especially in manual mode with the paddle shifters. Has your experience using the trany in manual mode not been that impressive?
    I really have no idea why so many folks are against a cvt transmission. Stepping on the go button and having more power or more wheel spin isn’t a bad thing in slick conditions. Being handicapped by having to let off the gas and shift into another gear can certainly be a good way to get stuck though.
    The big thing I notice with with the Pioneer 500 though, is the gap between first and second gear. First doesn’t give quite enough speed, and second gives a bit too much, and not enough low end. I think that would be even more evident going to a larger rim and tire. You will likely lose a lot of low end torque there, unless you are doing some gear work. Easier to manage that on a cvt with changing your clutch weights.

To speak to your other concern, the only place you might get left behind is narrow, steeply off camber trails. Doesn’t take too much to be in a bad place if you are a wheel width too wide to keep the outside tire on the trail, instead of hanging off into space...

That said, You likely won’t end up in too many places like that. And a powersaw or Silky BigBoy will handle any trees across the trail that you encounter.

But don’t kid yourself into thinking that you and a buddy are going to lift the ass end up and over if you get high centered in the mud or on a rut. Lifting a dry machine up two inches on a flat show room floor is a BUNCH different than lifting a bike full of fuel and oil that is stuck on a branch stub on a log, with 100lbs of mud or snow or wet grass tangled around the tires.

Front and back winches aren’t a “nice to have” accesory. And don’t scrimp on quality there. Knock off brands are going to let you down when it matters the most. A shovel, axe, cable, those aren’t anything that gets left behind.

I don't mind a CVT belt driven drive, I think it's just a novelty that Honda's offering a real trany. All said though, you have certainly given me pause to reconsider now, I really appreciate the impressions of someone with first hand experience.

UTV all the way. Polaris ranger crew for us. Great reliable all around buggy

What ever you do. Go Yamaha!

My vote.

ATV.

dont buy a Polaris.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

When Honda brought out their "Real Transmission" it was a headache to say the least. Far too many issues, but they have fixed that over time for sure. I have owned 18 atv's 3 three wheelers and two 8 wheel argos and now I have a side by side.There is no better CVT tranny on the market than Yamaha. The belt cvt and engine braking system is best on the market and extremely reliable. And I would hunt alone for a few days when moose hunting waiting for the others to show and I never once worried about break downs or getting stuck , just be prepared and think before you launch into something lol .And it keeps getting mentioned that they will not fit in the back of a truck, actually prob half of them will fit in a truck short box with gate down or full size. I doubt I will go back to an atv again, and yes some trails I can not go on with this, but I made the trails before , so I cut a few extra spots when I go through again. Everyone including me said Trikes are way too big you can not go anywhere a motorcycle can go , when they came out. Well that was wrong then just like a lot of comments about 4x4 atv's were wrong, and of course SxS. It is almost like saying I can go anywhere with my samurai, but you can never get where I go in a CJ jeep , and the CJ owner saying you can never take that Bronco where I can go and so on.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I should have clarified:

My older honda 93 fourtrax will fit in my ford f350 shprtbox with large toolbox and L shapes tidy tank with the tailgate down.

That a a huge plus for me to able to go truck only wothou5 a trailer

How wide is your Yami SxS Pioneerman? I think most trucks with 8' beds are 48" wide between the wheel wells but you can always work around that. I want narrow as I go with all ATV'ers and I can't reasonably expect to hold them up on weekend hunt because I have to pull the chainsaw cord, they are pretty serious about etiquette rightly so.

I have to admit, having the wind and snow/rain out of my face on those long, wet all day alpine rides is also a big draw as well.. and I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot about that if I go the SxS route.