Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UTV Vs ATV

UTV Vs ATV

Looking to get into a side by side, specifically the Honda Pioneer 500, so that I can take the kids out for some off season fun as well as go with the guys in hunting season. When I ran the idea by my hunting partners one of them suggested that it wouldn't be able to go everywhere their ATVs can go (typical BC terrain, North of Pemberton etc) despite the fact that it is only a 50" wheel base and only a few inches wider than the Yami Grizz and other ATVs we use.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge to dispel or corroborate this concern?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: UTV Vs ATV

The Pioneer is kind of a goofy setup. We use them at work, along with atv’s. The lack of a box, and low ground clearance coupled with the wide gear spacing tends to make them the worst of all worlds. Not as nimble as an atv, less carry rack capability than an atv, and a poor transmission for what utv’s are good at - balls to the wall screaming through the nasty shit - make them all kind of odd as far as a side by side goes. They do have an attractive price point though, but it comes at the cost of heavy concessions.

As for trail width/maneuverability, they aren’t horrid.

RZR all the way, those other sxs are like golf carts, might as well stick with quads as they will do way more

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    RZR all the way, those other sxs are like golf carts, might as well stick with quads as they will do way more
    Why so you can go get it stuck and need another one to pull it out?
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Stick with a quad and your legs.....besides that whatever you do don't waste your money on a poolaris
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

I've had both. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. My Viking has a 64" wide track so it won't get into all the places that a ATV will. The question you need to ask is do you want to drive any vehicle into that kind of place? I use mine to get to the general area that I want to hunt and then leg it. That said it does go through places that I wouldn't want to take my truck through. Most deactivations are simply mild depressions for this thing. Has a dumping back bed with a 600 pound capacity, winches front and back, a rear receiver that I can use for towing and to put my game hoist for loading/unloading or hanging for skinning. Can sit 3 full grown men side by side comfortably, has a roof, windshield and soft sides and rear window to keep you isolated from the conditions that my ATV never could. Room in the back for all kinds of gear/dogs. As I said they all have their purpose, you just need to decide which ones are more important. I looked at a 500cc for a SxS but they don't have the oomph needed in my opinion so I went with a 700cc.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

one nice thing about quads is that they fit in the back of a truck. Mine stays loaded all fall in case I need it.
    That said, I find more often than not it stays in the back of truck wile I go off on foot.

The SXS would be nice for kids and taking buddies along though but how far would you want to go without a second machine...?

The Polaris RZR 570S with power steering is a fine machine. Fits between the wheel wells. Goes most places an ATV will. Its quick, and a lot of fun to drive. Great ride. Not a lot of storage space.

" We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    Why so you can go get it stuck and need another one to pull it out?
    what you never get stuck? must not be having enough fun if you never get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    what you never get stuck? must not be having enough fun if you never get stuck.
    Lol I get stuck on rare occasions. I can just get out by myself.....