Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian geese decapitated

Canadian geese decapitated

https://globalnews.ca/news/4046999/n...s-left-behind/

A Canada geese cull in a West Kelowna neighbourhood has some residents calling “foul.”

Diana Bertucci was alarmed when she was out for a walk in West Kelowna and a man pulled up in a white van, headed to a nearby field, and started shooting.

“I was shocked, and I was terrified,” Bertucci said. “When you see a person coming out of their truck with a rifle, it’s scary. You don’t know if you need to run for cover. You don’t know what to do.”

Bertucci said the man started shooting at Canada geese on a nearby field.

“So then I said, ‘Hey, what are you doing?’” she said.

Bertucci said the man showed her a permit to shoot the birds.

“I said OK, we’re going to call the RCMP. So we did, we called the RCMP, and they said, ‘Yeah, nope, he’s got a permit. Don’t worry about it.’”

Bertucci said the man then climbed the fence and grabbed the bodies of the dead birds.

“He pulled their heads off with his hands, and then left the heads in the field. And I asked him about that, and he said, ‘Well, if I leave the heads in the field, the other geese won’t come back’,” she said. “Well guess what, the next day the geese were back.”
    Canada’s Migratory Bird Convention recognizes that birds, such as Canada geese, can cause damage or danger. Permits can be issued for the birds to be killed under the act.

Bertucci said she’s not against other measures of controlling the geese population but takes issue with shooting them in a public area.

“My main concern is the optics of the situation, how it’s traumatizing people,” she said.

“There’s got to be a better way to handle some geese in the field.”

Those walking in the neighbourhood largely agreed.

“To have someone who has a gun that can shoot like this in a public area if there’s children or family around, that’s actually very scary,” tourist Raymonde Foyster said.

“It’s inexcusable, truly. I think the law needs to be changed,” Brenda Irvin, another tourist, said.

The owners of the property declined an interview but said the Canadian geese on their property compete with their horses for feed, and reiterated that the killings were carried out under the proper permits.

West Kelowna RCMP confirmed at least one person has the proper permits to cull geese.

“Police would only become involved if the firearms were to be mishandled or used in a manner dangerous or threatening to the general public,” Cpl. Jesse O’Donaghey said in a statement.

RCMP also said it is common practice for them to be notified when a person plans to discharge a firearm under those circumstances.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canadian geese decapitated

Last edited by TexasWalker; 02-27-2018 at 08:23 PM.

....and was reported as a rifle being used, ummmm no.
    Idiots, just another emotional person with extremist social views.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I got on there it’s a good read haha

oh that's funny stuff. all the lettuce munchers would be shaken to the core of their beliefs if they knew how many animals die for their vegetables.

They would have a fit listening to us banging the shit out the birds across from fields sawmill in courtenay back in the day bahahahahahaha
    It's private property
    It's a bloody scattergun not a rifle
    It's steel shot not single projectile
    get over it ffs
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Fake News, there's no such thing as Canadian geese, they are Canada Geese (Branta Canadensis). This women in this article is probably the same person complaining about goose poop on the grass at her kids play ground.

Is he Andre the Giant with forearms of steel? I have a heck of a time breaking the neck of a widgeon, I can't imagine pulling the head off a goose.

And I agree with ACB above too; why can't people wrap their heads around the phrase "Canada geese"?

Arrow Re: Canadian geese decapitated

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Fake News, there's no such thing as Canadian geese, they are Canada Geese (Branta Canadensis). This women in this article is probably the same person complaining about goose poop on the grass at her kids play ground.
    She certainly is enjoying her five minutes of fame alright.
    And apparently rather enjoys our attention:

"Diana Lisa Bertucci Thanks my beautiful cousins.......you should see the harrasment I am getting on Face Book from a bunch of hunters that saw my story on Castanet........what a bunch of juvenile bullies, they make me laugh they are so ignorant."

"Diana Lisa Bertucci Actuall I am kind of enjoying f%#king with them because they are so stupid..........lololololololo"

She is well surrounded by a clucking gaggle of housebound hens, and one particular anti that rather stands out for his vulgarity.

I won't be adding anything to their little attention seeking orgy.
    Just spurs these CitIdiots on IMHO...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

LOL typical bleeding hearts eh..........