Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Found a sinkhole... balls deep

Last edited by caddisguy; 04-08-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Hi Everyone! Quite the newbie to hunting, and was wondering if 3 brand-spanking new hunters going out on a spring bear hunt is too ambitious? We're from Vancouver, BC and were thinking about going to the Kootenays. Any feedback on this situation?

Before we start a whole slew of follow up questions. Here's a bit about our experience to date. Please feel free to correct us on anything you see on our blog or share any feedback:

https://www.chasingfood.club/blog/ho...terribly-wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jennylyyy View Post
    Hi Everyone! Quite the newbie to hunting, and was wondering if 3 brand-spanking new hunters going out on a spring bear hunt is too ambitious? We're from Vancouver, BC and were thinking about going to the Kootenays. Any feedback on this situation?
    Spring black bears are the easiest big game animal to hunt in North America and there are plenty of them all over the province, including the Fraser Valley.

Look for grassy areas on south facing slopes... look for nipped grass, look for poops. Sneak around throughout the day... sit quietly in the most promising areas morning and evening. There's a number of threads on here with a lot of great tips. If you search for the 2017 spring bear thread, that one has a lot of good info. If you put in the time, your group will get one, probably more, especially if you split up.

Stay out until last light. The action is usually the first few hours of light or last hour before or two before dark. It pains me to hear people hunting hard all day then calling it a day at 5pm and heading home. All the bears we have taken were between first light and 10am or 4:30pm and dark. Afternoon bears happen, but your odds are probably 10x greater in the last hour vs every other hour after 10am combined.

Welcome to the forum and good luck out there.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-09-2018 at 09:34 AM.

With BCs high black bear populations they actually make a great hunt for rookie hunters. Shoot with in your limits and only take shots you are 100% on as you should with any other hunt. Do this and it’s no different then a rookie hunting deer or any other big game

Lots of options for bear hunting locations all over BC. Nothing wrong with kootenays but wonder why this is your choice

Ask more direct ? Regarding bear hunting and you will get more valuable info

Go to the island. Much closer for you. Lots of big bears

Nothing too ambitious about it. I think it is a perfect beginner hunt and you will learn a lot even if you don't see a bear.

I love the Kootenays but I don't think I'd drive that far for a bear. Lots of bears down in the LML. And I hear there are more bears than hipsters on Vancouver Island.

Remember, aim small, miss small. Have fun!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Found a sinkhole... balls deep

Thats Freakin awsome your out there in the snow. I like to go really far north to meet friends at a cabin round the Nechaco Reservoir. I was talkin to the boys yesterday from Smithers and they said they still got 3' of snow and it will most likley be a late hunt. Ok by me since i been laid up with a broken leg since January. Starting physio this week with a bear hunt as my goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Thats Freakin awsome your out there in the snow. I like to go really far north to meet friends at a cabin round the Nechaco Reservoir. I was talkin to the boys yesterday from Smithers and they said they still got 3' of snow and it will most likley be a late hunt. Ok by me since i been laid up with a broken leg since January. Starting physio this week with a bear hunt as my goal!
    Still patches of snow here in the Region 2 valleys and up in the hills... we saw everything from 6 inches to a few feet. In that picture, there's probably just 6 inches of crusty snow... but it just so happened there was a very deep hole (which wasn't there in the fall and not sure what made it) ... glad my leg didn't go down awkwardly or while I was packing something heavy... might have had a broken leg of my own. It was cool to get that on video though... not much to be excited about yet, another couple weeks there will be. We're still getting out there and taking lots of video so we'll have plenty of footage for an entertain 2018 bear on video.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Spring black bears are the easiest big game animal to hunt in North America and there are plenty of them all over the province, including the Fraser Valley.

Look for grassy areas on south facing slopes... look for nipped grass, look for poops. Sneak around throughout the day... sit quietly in the most promising areas morning and evening. There's a number of threads on here with a lot of great tips. If you search for the 2017 spring bear thread, that one has a lot of good info. If you put in the time, your group will get one, probably more, especially if you split up.

Stay out until last light. The action is usually the first few hours of light or last hour before or two before dark. It pains me to hear people hunting hard all day then calling it a day at 5pm and heading home. All the bears we have taken were between first light and 10am or 4:30pm and dark. Afternoon bears happen, but your odds are probably 10x greater in the last hour vs every other hour after 10am combined.

Welcome to the forum and good luck out there.
    They also like dandelions and clover....