Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^sounds like a great plan, gotta love spring bear hunting...I think they'll be up late this spring, seems like winter is sticking around longer than usual....damn, that means more shed hunting before bear hunting, oh well...
    Last year was weird. 2 feet of now at the beginning for April. No sign until mid-April, then it peaked second half of April. Heat wave hit after that and it was green everywhere. Took our bear mid-May... May long was a full on heat wave... didn't try too hard for a second and I think that was our last weekend out... I was surprised it went from 2 feet of snow to 3+ bear sightings a day before well before May and less a week into May.

I think you are right about bears showing up a little late, but I am hesitant to call the peak. The 3 years prior I would have said mid May every time. I am going to start "camping with a rifle" early, but I will start chasing mid April.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-07-2018 at 07:05 AM.

I have had a bear tag go unfilled for the last 5 years. Both spring and fall. This year I have taken from mid April to mid May off. Going to get involved with one. Maybe 2.

Spring time is turkey time

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Last year was weird. 2 feet of now at the beginning for April. No sign until mid-April, then it peaked second half of April. Heat wave hit after that and it was green everywhere. Took our bear mid-May... May long was a full on heat wave... didn't try too hard for a second and I think that was our last weekend out... I was surprised it went from 2 feet of snow to 3+ bear sightings a day before well before May and less a week into May.

I think you are right about bears showing up a little late, but I am hesitant to call the peak. The 3 years prior I would have said mid May every time. I am going to start "camping with a rifle" early, but I will start chasing mid April.
    Ya and I think this year will be even weirder.....

Turkey talk yes

Any one know how far west the turkey range goes would be sweet to do a bear/turkey hunt.

Was sitting in the sun and got to thinking....one of the spots I wanna spend a couple days at has a bunch of streams and is close to a lake......so to maximize/diversify my harvest and time in the bush.....chuck out a couple crayfish traps at start of day and let soak while im out looking for bears....has anyone else done something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Was sitting in the sun and got to thinking....one of the spots I wanna spend a couple days at has a bunch of streams and is close to a lake......so to maximize/diversify my harvest and time in the bush.....chuck out a couple crayfish traps at start of day and let soak while im out looking for bears....has anyone else done something like this?
    Not for spring bear but for early season alpine mule deer my hunting partner and I always pack into one of the many alpine lakes in the Kootenays. Go for an early morning hunt, then spend the late morning/early afternoon fishing for cutthroat trout while glassing the surrounding ridges and shoreline. Then off for an evening hunt before heading back to camp and feasting. Blue grouse marinated in scotch and spices, fresh cutthroat stuffed with huckleberries and garlic. We eat like kings sometimes.

I like your idea of catching a few crayfish, should throw out a line a few times and see what bites. Sure adds to the whole adventure when you catch your meals. For a couple of seasons my partner left his rifle at home and packed a defender style shotgun, loaded with #8 shot they do a pretty good job on grouse. We've had a few pack trips where we hardly ate any Mountain House.

Yea just thought it would be ideal. ..dont need to mind the line or nothing....bait it...chuck the trap in the water...pick up at end of day....yup im gonna try it for sure lol....bit of garlic butter ..mmmmm

I going for a June '18 dooblay! KILL 2 Motion for greatness of the Hunt! What an astounding thread... Many inspiring tales of Beardom. Let's get it done - I want at least one w/ 270 WSM then debating between slugs or a next variety .277 projectile. The past few years have been Turkey-centric, though it has been diffcult for me to get out in the Spring months due to a variety of commitments and responsibilities... This year is is the worst in many in that respect. I'm liable to not be able to Hunt 'till June '18, at best! Yikes.

Lots'O'Luck Folks!

Thanks for the inspiration.