Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Got the smoker going this weekend....excited to put some bear meat through it.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylyyy View Post
    Hi Everyone! Quite the newbie to hunting, and was wondering if 3 brand-spanking new hunters going out on a spring bear hunt is too ambitious? We're from Vancouver, BC and were thinking about going to the Kootenays. Any feedback on this situation?
    My first bear I was with 3 other newbies. It was a gong show trying to figure out how to gut the thing but we got it done, even though we only had a little pocket knife. We made a lot of mistakes, blew 3 other stalks on bears that weekend before I got it done. Go to the koots if you want, sounds like a fun adventure, or stick close to home and go up to Squamish/Pemberton/Harrison area.

Is a Fawn decoy considered bait?
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    My first bear I was with 3 other newbies. It was a gong show trying to figure out how to gut the thing but we got it done, even though we only had a little pocket knife. We made a lot of mistakes, blew 3 other stalks on bears that weekend before I got it done. Go to the koots if you want, sounds like a fun adventure, or stick close to home and go up to Squamish/Pemberton/Harrison area.
    Lol I remember gutting my first big game animal too....obviously one gets better with practice, but the bottom line is, it doesn't have to be pretty, do whatever it takes to get all the guts and entrails out..that's what newbies should know, don't think too hard about it, it's not rocket surgery...

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Got the smoker going this weekend....excited to put some bear meat through it.
    Do you find you have to pre cook bear before smoking, to avoid trichinosis??

There are hot-smoking methods that can produce appropriate heat. I've also heard of par boiling the meat first as part of pre-smoke meat prep, plenty of other methods. It'll be interesting to see what folks have to say. Mostly, far as I know, smoked Bear is usually cooked post-smoke as things such as sausages.

Also the Koots are an awesome choice! Plenty of color phase Black Bears. Like all the Regions of BC, it's a beauty spot and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylyyy View Post
    Before we start a whole slew of follow up questions. Here's a bit about our experience to date. Please feel free to correct us on anything you see on our blog or share any feedback:

https://www.chasingfood.club/blog/ho...terribly-wrong
    When I was smol (11) I moved from Vancouver to the Omineca and ran into Griz on accident... Lolz Your site is nice Good Luck keep it up! You will do fine, Hunt it up and enjoy your time.

Will be smoking for sasuage and maybe a ham....but will be cooked after the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Lol I remember gutting my first big game animal too....obviously one gets better with practice, but the bottom line is, it doesn't have to be pretty, do whatever it takes to get all the guts and entrails out..that's what newbies should know, don't think too hard about it, it's not rocket surgery...
    I remember panicking thinking I had to saw through the pelvic bone to take the poop shoot out... then crap it will take forever to saw through this... boned it out with the gut pile out but still "attached" (actually turns out to be an excellent method for getting all the meat and not having to touch the stinker at all)

This of course was all happening in the dark with crappy headlamps and a bear walking around casually feeding and ignoring out air horn.

I also did not get evidence of sex "attached to one quarter" because it was pretty much butchered in field. I was worried I had done something wrong until I checked the regs and found evidence of sex is not required *phew*

I didn't sleep much that night. In and out... would wake up thinking it was a dream but the smell said otherwise. Next morning went back to the scene to hide the carcass then hit the road. Stopped to jump a couple on our way out... their battery died and spent an unplanned night freezing. The guy was super happy and shook my hand then noticed all the blood stains... turned pretty white lol ... I still wonder to this day what they figured we were up to

I think anyone who knocks down a bear right before dark and it's the first animal is in for an interesting time no matter how many YouTube videos.

I'm still not great at it... takes me an hour or two but it gets better and easier each time.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-11-2018 at 07:48 AM.