Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Caddisguy:

You can't let that man spreading (boar spreading?) go unpunished. I don't believe in killing innocent animals, but I will confirm that this bear is guilty of a serious micro-aggression.

Wicked story, btw. I eagerly await the end.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Checked out my spot for the first time on Saturday ..

As I suspected not quite ready, maybe another week to green up, elevation is around 2000ft..

Snow on the spur roads around 12"-18", main had been plowed (logging starting higher up)...

Set up cam with salt and cob..

Rubbed the crap out of the camera and strap with fresh pine boughs, hopefully he won't screw with the camera this year!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

was out saturday night for the first time this year. seen one that was pretty close to being a shooter and then about 2 minutes later came up on a BIG boar. tried to close in the distance from 500yds. he winded us at about 300. hoping to go find him tomorrow

Pick up travel trailer. .aka the lodge tomorrow..license and bear tag purchased online today, as well as LEH filled in submitted.checked forest lake..good next week.some cleaning, stocking. ..it will be fly fishing and bear hunting sausage trip.
    Bathroom done since last fall, also man cave trophy room completely done, now kitchen in process. .contractor doing couple things im not capable.
    Forest isnt..off to Lemon . it will be better if enough snow has gone.
    New strategy this year..go with tt for a bit of rest and relaxation..not going out every day $$$$$$$$ with gas prices..sold quad wait for 2019 in july..here for deer moose scouting season.
    Good luck all
    Ettienne

Caddis, see this one through brother, still rooting for you and stoked to hear you at least got a shot off on old pesky. Still time to seal the deal on that creepy bruin and then hit the new spot with caddisgirl and your bro, I have a feeling it will eat away at you all summer if you don't catch up with him and at least now you know he's still in the area!

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Caddis, see this one through brother, still rooting for you and stoked to hear you at least got a shot off on old pesky. Still time to seal the deal on that creepy bruin and then hit the new spot with caddisgirl and your bro, I have a feeling it will eat away at you all summer if you don't catch up with him and at least now you know he's still in the area!
    It looks like we'll be after him this weekend. I believe I found his "safe space" where he likes to hold up a lot of the time. It would be tricky to get line of sight without getting busted, but it's not impossible and I have one idea so far. Ideally he's not there when I slip in. I know some of the area he grazes as well but that has some other logistical problems but I have a possible solution. So there's a couple options.

Things could be different now though since not only did I scare the crap out of him, I pursued him, showing up at his lookout less than an hour afterwards and tried to track him down, then the next morning we got all scent all over where he seems like to nap/chill. Pretty sure we heard him cracking around inside the timber that morning too but it could have been a different bear. I have probably educated him in some way so it will be interesting to see if he makes any adjustments. I have seen him in person 4x now, all the same time of day except the one time around 2AM.

It looks like we are in for a dry week. If the weather does what it says, things will be a bit crunchy. While that will make it a little more difficult to sneak around, it will help in keeping tabs on where he is and what he is up to. It's a good trade off. I think there is a decent chance it will all go down this weekend.

It would eat at me a little if he makes it through another season. I feel uneasy having my wife or brother around that area.

I'll have an update Sunday or earlier... hopefully a success story.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-30-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Filmed a nice sow and cub off the highway here in PG this morning
    2 weeks it will be full game on up here.

caddisguy i hope you get him...

sounds like he is a very stubburn bear..unless you hit him he will come back..

do you know anybody with hounds..?

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    caddisguy i hope you get him...

sounds like he is a very stubburn bear..unless you hit him he will come back..

do you know anybody with hounds..?
    Stubborn for sure which could be a good thing. He is claiming residency (encroaching on my territory!) from April to September while most bears are just there to hit the first grass and they move on shortly after. I don't think he will give all that up over a bit of a stalk and a loud bang. I really don't think I even came close. It was really the most pathetic/sloppy performance one could dream up. I just hope I didn't educate him into being more sneaky.

No good buddies with hounds but the thought crossed my mind for sure (I think it's even worthy of CO's) Maybe me and caddisgirl charging into the timber barking when we hear a snap will do the trick and tree him j/k ... I'd hate to blow up the spot even more... but there is definitely one houndsman who knows and was probably tipped off by someone who knows me, who I can authenticate by vehicle description and date he drove up. If he reads this I could put him on a fresh trail with half a dozen poops, many still green.

Well here it goes. I'm heading out. It's probably all going to go down tomorrow. Well it better anyway. I want to be done with this and go fishing... so does caddisgirl.

We will be targeting the problem bear all tomorrow and failing that, any bear all Saturday and maybe Sunday morning too.

Got an approach planned for every wind. Hopefully it's not all over the place but even then we have multiple spots with plans A-Z for each.

It's going to be crunchy but that's fine. More of an advantage than not with bears if you plan enough.

We've been filming everything since there was 2 feet of snow so good memories for us and should be a good watch... putting lots of effort into that as we decide we are taking next spring off... no bear hunting next spring, just care free fishing.

Good luck to everyone else heading out.