Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

I am 50/50 ... I want to put some meat in the freezer but never hunted bear before, keep hearing spring bear tastes better, so going to buy a tag and see what happens, very likely i will have a tag and it will sit unused but not for lack of trying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by simonvancouver View Post
    I am 50/50 ... I want to put some meat in the freezer but never hunted bear before, keep hearing spring bear tastes better, so going to buy a tag and see what happens, very likely i will have a tag and it will sit unused but not for lack of trying lol.
    Pork of the forest, but a little sweeter. Double smoked hams, back bacon and jalapeño cheddar smokies are the bomb.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Quote Originally Posted by plumberjustin View Post
    Pork of the forest, but a little sweeter. Double smoked hams, back bacon and jalapeño cheddar smokies are the bomb.
    mmm sounds good

To give you an idea on bear meat.

My wife whom has little interest in eating game meat other than maybe moose thinks that the bear smokies I had made last spring are the best she's ever had.I think She'd rather I leave the deer alone and just bring home bear....

Bring a couple coolers with frozen milk jugs or Ice packs when you go. That way you can put the Meat on ice right away and get it cooling.

Really want to try bear ham this year.

Yea I need to look at getting a bigger smoker....dont think my little chief could handle bear hams smoking hahahah

Is there a legal distance from the USA border your allowed to fun/shoot....tried looking in the regs and couldnt find it.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I'm out of pepperonies and garlic coil, so I'm gonna drop a smaller bear early, then look for a booner with my 2nd tag. I'm taking 14 days off in May for bear hunting this year, maybe some early lake fishing too! I'm going to check out some spots I haven't been to in many years, explore a little! Spring in the mountains is almost as good as fall in the mountains! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I'll be out a couple of times early April looking for sign(I've never even seen a track except for grizzly that early) but I mainly use those hikes to scout for turkeys. I won't seriously hunt bears until my daughter and I kill a couple of toms or season ends. What I'm really looking forward to is our annual spring bear back pack trip on the May long weekend. For the past six years a friend and myself hike a few km into a camp we have set up overlooking Kootenay Lake and spend a few days hiking and glassing for bears. It's a great trip to check out all of our gear and test any new stuff before fall comes around. This time around I need to replenish the wood pile after using most of it up on a pack trip for mule deer last season. It sure is nice in the fall to just set up my tent, drop all extra gear, hang a food bag, fill the water bag and get hunting without having to worry about firewood. Our spring bear hunts are pretty relaxed, more of an opportunity to catch up and sip single malt by the fire at night. That said I would like to shoot another bear this year. I'm pretty excited.

^^^sounds like a great plan, gotta love spring bear hunting...I think they'll be up late this spring, seems like winter is sticking around longer than usual....damn, that means more shed hunting before bear hunting, oh well...

Someone mentioned theres already been a few spotted....but thats down here ....but then again ...bears dont hibernate down here much