Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Can't wait
    looking for a big black one.

I'll probably try the East side of 5-1 and see if the Wetter side of the M-U has more bears. I'd like to try getting into some higher country also. (Any logic to this?)

last years bear I got in June and it had been fighting with another ( bigger) bear before he came to my call.
    Got a little exiting when I was working on my bear and the other bear came in at dusk to check things out. Should have had a second tag.. it would have saved me the warning shots. Haha

I'd really like to get one spot and Stalk with the bow or if I'm not alone try to call another one in.

Can't wait

First time in forever, we didn't hardly bear hunt at all last year so the bear burger supply is now non-existant. "She who must be obeyed" has informed both my son and I that we WILL both be getting out and bringing her bears this spring. I will let the kid shoot the first decent one we see, and I will hold out looking for a big guy until the last week or two, then will shoot any decent bear.

Area I know that has barely ever been touched by a logging show was logged pretty good last fall...i expect some pretty good bears that aren't used to the open country, to get caught with their pants down out in the open this spring!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by stro52 View Post
    So y'all got any tips for an aspiring bowhunter still looking for his first big game animal? This will be my first time heading out for spring bear and looking forward to it!
    Lots of great tips in the 2017 spring bear thread and various individual ones that have popped up. You can get really close in the Spring. All bears from either side of a given valley pretty much condense into the first patches of grass coming up around the valley bottoms and south facing slopes. Dandelions come shortly after which is a sign you have the right exposure. We manage to find ourselves within 15 yards at least a few times a year. I'm tempted to stick one with an arrow, but I'd kick myself if it cost me an opportunity at the bear we are after... that and some of the area is pretty thick and 2/3 of the time "stuff happens" within the last hour of light. It would be tricky enough if one ran 50-100 yards let alone we had to look for it the next day after a night of rain. One day though, in a more open area and when I'm not looking for a specific bear it will happen.

If you're out super early and not much in the way of grass (south facing hills still have snow) try skunk cabbage around the lower drainages... look for foot prints in the mud (Full disclosure I haven't had much luck super early in my area and don't start seeing sign until it's greening up.... things get good 3rd week of April and peak mid-May... actually last season it seemed to peak late mid to late April in my area despite the late start to the greenery)

If you find an area with freshly nipped grass (not brown on the edges) and bear poop, just check in and out all day... sit for mornings in evenings... bonus if you can do it two or three days consecutively. A bears sense of smell is insane, but when food is scarce and it has trouble knowing whether "you are there" or "you were there" it will get the munchies for grass and make the gamble... they even come from down wind (at least the "average bear") so don't discount direction... find the spot with the goods and he needs to come out and will no matter what. Boars will walk in like they own the place... sows tend to hang close to cling to brush or timber or any sort of cover / escape. Take your time if it looks or acts like a sow. I watched a bear hours over the course of a weekend... I knew something was up, but didn't realize it had a cub or two until the second night, which through binos from 60-70 yards or so and saw black fuzzballs darting around behind the brush.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 02-28-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Alright when you put it that way... hopefully everyone is thoroughly, partially or even somewhat entertained (at any aspect) during the following 5 minute segment. Feel free to like, subscribe, comment and all that good stuff before the anti's come around

Nice bear..........

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Lots of great tips in the 2017 spring bear thread and various individual ones that have popped up. You can get really close in the Spring. All bears from either side of a given valley pretty much condense into the first patches of grass coming up around the valley bottoms and south facing slopes. Dandelions come shortly after which is a sign you have the right exposure. We manage to find ourselves within 15 yards at least a few times a year. I'm tempted to stick one with an arrow, but I'd kick myself if it cost me an opportunity at the bear we are after... that and some of the area is pretty thick and 2/3 of the time "stuff happens" within the last hour of light. It would be tricky enough if one ran 50-100 yards let alone we had to look for it the next day after a night of rain. One day though, in a more open area and when I'm not looking for a specific bear it will happen.

If you're out super early and not much in the way of grass (south facing hills still have snow) try skunk cabbage around the lower drainages... look for foot prints in the mud (Full disclosure I haven't had much luck super early in my area and don't start seeing sign until it's greening up.... things get good 3rd week of April and peak mid-May... actually last season it seemed to peak late mid to late April in my area despite the late start to the greenery)

If you find an area with freshly nipped grass (not brown on the edges) and bear poop, just check in and out all day... sit for mornings in evenings... bonus if you can do it two or three days consecutively. A bears sense of smell is insane, but when food is scarce and it has trouble knowing whether "you are there" or "you were there" it will get the munchies for grass and make the gamble... they even come from down wind (at least the "average bear") so don't discount direction... find the spot with the goods and he needs to come out and will no matter what. Boars will walk in like they own the place... sows tend to hang close to cling to brush or timber or any sort of cover / escape. Take your time if it looks or acts like a sow. I watched a bear hours over the course of a weekend... I knew something was up, but didn't realize it had a cub or two until the second night, which through binos from 60-70 yards or so and saw black fuzzballs darting around behind the brush.
    Wow thanks a lot for this, had to read it over twice to make sure I got it all haha.

Great bear and amazing looking burgers. ..got me even more excited lol.

Looks like our trip is shaping up for second week of may in region 5. Might be a bit early but them the brakes with time off and scheduling etc.

Can't wait, gonna do some fishing and hopefully set up some fame cams to monitor into fall.

best of luck gents and ladies

Bears well actually a bear is already out in region 2. Saw one yesterday late afternoon feeding and gotta say it is sure a dandy one. Just a matter of time and till the season.

That video was awesome. Can’t wait to get out. Just finished paying off my beater car and cell phone. Got a new to me truck finally tuning up the quad and I’m ready.

caddisguy i gave your video a like and subscribed...keep up the good work...