Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Was sitting in the sun and got to thinking....one of the spots I wanna spend a couple days at has a bunch of streams and is close to a lake......so to maximize/diversify my harvest and time in the bush.....chuck out a couple crayfish traps at start of day and let soak while im out looking for bears....has anyone else done something like this?
    Only all the time

Crayfishing should start to get productive by mid May... but even before who cares... even if you get one or two to go with dinner, it's a treat. Not sure if you saw it but I posted on another crayfishing vid in the fishing section... just a short video throwing the traps in from shore and recording one of the 3 pulls we did that weekend. We're hoping to do another snorkeling/trapping vid in August (missed the last couple years, due to stomach infection and needing to dial in a bow) seems to pull a lot of views (near 1.5 million on our first one)

I just ordered my tags today. No more WSS, Canadian Tire no longer sells tags, Army & Navy said they don't have them yet and don't know when they will get them. Figured I would go the safe route and order early. Can't wait to get the freezers filled up with more bear... want to do more meal prep with chili, ham-bear-ger-helper, stir-fry, burrito filler, hambearger patties, etc... as many meals as the freezers will hold.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-11-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Going to hit it hard this spring. Probley head to my honey hole mid May and take 2 out of there

Caddis I love the snorkling vid....I went and looked at snorkling gear for daughter and I....we have aplace in harrison and are always at hick lake in summer but I would assume chilliwack/hicks would have crayfish too......man with the weather like this the bear will be out ....17 degrees in delta!!!!

I don't think there are crayfish in Hicks/Beaverpond or Deer Lake (I ran traps in those) Harrison 100% though... verified that one!

BTW do you know if Hicks/Deer are accessible? I have been screwed two years in a row where the website says they are open (Hicks day area and Deer for camping) only to be completely gated out (last year) or just Hicks day area (year before)

Seen bees, ladybugs, squirrels and all sorts of life happening the last few days. I suspect there's still a foot of snow where I hunt, but I'll go have a look this weekend... maybe snatch 2-3 of our cams... decide whether it is worth while opening weekend.

I have never had a problem with gates there....like ever....been going there for almost 10 years ....early spring till mid oct....never once had the gates closed.

Last year it was gated mid March just after the turnoff for east Harrison fsr with no explanation. Year prior Deer was gated just after the turn-off for Hicks. We wanted to fish and camp and Deer but hit Hicks day area / launch... fished the day and packed up, then found a spot with a nice view up Harrison to camp (which is also now gated)

Lol sorry for the derail... just frustrated getting burned in that neck of the woods. Won't go now unless I have a first hand account for the given weekend, signed off and notorized !!

This year we'll spend our March camping in or around bear camp... save the fishing for later when it's more productive anyway

Hope to go out for a few days, missed last year due to work commitments. I'm not hardcore on the bear hunts, mostly just to get out for a few days and walk around the bush, if I do take a bear it has to be a gooder. Missed on a beauty phase 2 years ago and I think hes still there ....
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

It's all about to start tomorrow. We're heading out for a little fun... shoot the 22 a little bit... have a campfire and cook up my famous recipe chicken, gaze at some stars.

But most importantly and more relevant, I'm hoping to pull some trailcams... I would guess 2 or 3 but 4 if I'm lucky... depends on the snow and if the ticks start driving me nuts.

Will see what's greening up... check in on the squirrels and birds... maybe pet some deer and plead with them to tell me where they go in November. Who knows, maybe get lucky and find a shed or two.

I don't think there will be any bears up... doubtful but slight chance the cams are still filming... would be interesting to catch a bear wandering this early. Who knows... will report back Sunday with the bear (and tick) forecast

Dominion grizzly compact if shaggy brown phase punk is awake and gives us anymore trouble.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-16-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Still 2 feet of snow where we hunt. No tracks and no bears on the cameras... we were able to retrieve 3 of the trailcams but no chance for the other 3, at least not for another 3 weeks.

Camped up in a new cut block that had been plowed... something with teeth and claws got into our garbage overnight but guessing coyote or raccoons. Couldn't find any tracks.

^^^^any pictures on the cameras?