Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Love the title of your video lmao

Best of luck sounds personal lol
    Definitely personal. I have never come across a bear like this one. Very stealthy, aggressive unpredictable. I still can't believe he tried to have a go at me. Speaking of personal he breaks saplings around our camp and digs up my #2's. TMI I know but it is what it is.

Whenever he snaps over a sapling I have been cutting it off and throwing it in the brush. Tensions are high. I suspect he might just walk out with his swagger and try to size me up like another boar, perhaps last week of April I'll be posting up the video.

dont drink to many whiskys buy the fire near that guy caddisguy... keep a shotgun handy sounds like a menace.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    dont drink to many whiskys buy the fire near that guy caddisguy... keep a shotgun handy sounds like a menace.
    Lol won't let my guard down especially in the spring when it's not crunchy. Only vulnerabilities are when I arrive late night and unload gear to make sleep room in the jeep... that and the soft top / plastic windows. I'll put some stuff around outside so he can't get to my face (I think he figured out how) without making noise. He's not really big either. 190-210lbs wet. I always keep a dominion grizzly compact "almost" ready... so yeah there's really no way to get to me. Just gotta watch the "brown stumps" (there's a lot more of them!!) more carefully. Menace yes I'm fine. More worried about other campers than me.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 02-26-2018 at 10:11 PM.

This will be my first spring bear hunt. Haven't done it before but on the island so hoping to make it happen. Living in Qualicum so any advice is welcome on locations / timing.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Definitely personal. I have never come across a bear like this one. Very stealthy, aggressive unpredictable. I still can't believe he tried to have a go at me. Speaking of personal he breaks saplings around our camp and digs up my #2's. TMI I know but it is what it is.

Whenever he snaps over a sapling I have been cutting it off and throwing it in the brush. Tensions are high. I suspect he might just walk out with his swagger and try to size me up like another boar, perhaps last week of April I'll be posting up the video.
    Looking forward to a video of you going Liam Nelson on the Fawker!

Really looking forward to getting after a spring bear this season ! I've been enjoying going after bears more and more each year. I guess for one reason is that there are lots of bears on the Island here so even the areas that arent locked behind gates are productive. Being a shift worker, gates and weekend only access is a real curse for me to say the least. Anyway, fortunately I have found some really great areas the last few years where I can hunt anytime and consistently see lots of bears. This year inpaticular I'm looking forward to as I will be hunting with my 10 yr old son who now has his own license and tags and after getting his first deer in the fall is raring to get out and hopefully find his first bear ! I can hardly wait !!!

Caddisguy,

I like the dominion grizzly I have a screwed in slug barrel attached to mine I can hit a clay pigeon at 85yds..

I also like a high lumen light attached right to the gun for a camp gun..

There is some pretty good tactical lights out there now you can attach to a shotgun.

If you have ever shot a bear in defense in the dark or a cat you will know what I mean in a second.

I discovered a new spot in the Chilliwack valley last season. Hiked it quite a ways to some nice clearings loaded with feed and scat, will definitely be pounding that spot this spring. Also couldn’t connect on a real nice cinnamon down the road from my place, hope I get to see him again up the mountain behind the yard......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02F6A2E5-A5C1-4E88-AD3D-ABBCA2197BF6.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	6854  
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

going to hunt the area around my cabin in region 8.
    getting the itch to get out and explore. it will be my first year hunting them so i dont expect much but i dont think i can make it to fall.
    freezer is getting pretty low too

So, what exactly do you do with the lard? I don't do any cooking, so wouldn't know what to do with lard from the store either. Mix it with something? Melt it in frying pan, spread it on something? Do you have to clean or sterilize it before using? Wife says she has used lard for making pastry or icing. Would it work for that? Does it impart some kind of distinctive taste?