Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: spring bear 2018

Re: spring bear 2018

I don't get too excited in February about bears. I've got a new scope to mount on my rifle and sight in anyway.

That said, I'll be going out later in the season to where I got one last spring to scout out the area for the fall deer migration as much as for a bear. Found lots of deer tracks in the snow but never saw a buck so I'm looking for a pinch point.
    Last edited by MichelD; 02-26-2018 at 02:20 PM.

All goes according to plan....Van Isle BB hunt in May. Possibly now only, but as I've mentioned before...if it gets late in the hunt I'm sure the rifle will make an appearance.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I have a question. I have never hunted bears. I have shot deer and lots of small game so I'm certainly not a newb. Moved to the LML from points south a few years ago. I never really wanted to shoot a bear - I've eaten it in AK and it was ok but have never really wanted to shoot one. After living here for a while I've changed my mind. I've seen tons of bears out driving and more sign than I thought possible hiking and fishing. I'm ready to pop one.

Now to the question - are spring bears as good eating as fall bears? I always assumed that the hide (if I wanted to keep it) would be much better in the fall. Also, shouldn't there be a lot more fat reserves and better eating meat in the fall after they've been fattening up?

As a side note, I saw a bunch of bears in Mission last fall. They were FAT from eating corn. Would love to get permission to hunt some of the farms down there and get a nice corn fed bruin. That's got to be pretty tasty.

When I do go, I'm not after a huge boar. I'd just as soon shoot a young, tender, juicy, fat bear vs. an old cranker with a big head.

Arrow Re: spring bear 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Now to the question - are spring bears as good eating as fall bears? I always assumed that the hide (if I wanted to keep it) would be much better in the fall. Also, shouldn't there be a lot more fat reserves and better eating meat in the fall after they've been fattening up?
    IMO spring bears are not nearly as good grits as are fall berry or orchard bears. They've had all summer to get over the sleep, and are generally fairly fat (great for rendering) at that time of year. Better flavor at least for me too.

Unless you shoot a fall bear rather late, an early spring bear will generally have a better hide. The sooner you collect him out of the hole the better. In a matter of a few days they will start to rub, and that ain't what you want if seeking a rug...

When I do go, I'm not after a huge boar. I'd just as soon shoot a young, tender, juicy, fat bear vs. an old cranker with a big head.
    The boar I shot last fall had a noggin over 22 inches, and went 7'6" nose to tail.
    Not small.
    He was and is tender, juicy and has an excellent flavor.
    Not all the older and larger bears are tough...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Spring vs fall bear

in ways i proffer spring bear because because they are lean and not so greasy. Early spring bears have the best hide but later in the spring you need to watch for rubbing. Spring bears are lighter to pack out because they lack the fat stores lol

Fall berry fed bear is the best but come fall you need to beware bears feeding on salmon they are not good. Meat is greasier with a fall bear. More bear fat to render if you want lard for baking. Fall bear come Oct on can have nice hides.

Both can be good but but personal preference is the lean spring bear myself

We eat lots of Black Bear, I very much prefer a spring bear as it is lean and if you are little picky, the hide makes a very nice rug with great claws.

JLirot

I can probably get you permission in the corn fields.

depending on witch one.

Keep in mind if its Silverdale its shotgun with shot or bow only and those bears also frequent down eg dump bear.. if there out by the slough they are also salmon bears. hatzic prarie they will also be garbage bears. by all means thin some out but in my opinion nothing beats a cloverfilled spring bear.

Okanagan bear for me! This will be my first attempt at a bear. Hoping to get out in the woods with a HBC member that has reached out

I kill one for burger every year...this year won't be any different.

I’m going to make sure I get my two BB this year in tribute to the anties!