Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey hunting around Penticton

Re: Turkey hunting around Penticton

Quote Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
    North shore? I'm not familiar, grew up around Kamloops and haven't been East of Rock Creek in my life. Some specific direction would be great
    Anywhere between Nelson and Kaslo is considered the north shore. Pretty far away from you, but there's a high density of turkeys out there.

Shotgun because you aim for the head which keeps it clean and fast as can be for the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by mmckimmi View Post
    Anywhere between Nelson and Kaslo is considered the north shore. Pretty far away from you, but there's a high density of turkeys out there.

Shotgun because you aim for the head which keeps it clean and fast as can be for the bird.
    I was planning on aiming for the head with the 17HMR. Seems cleaner/faster than pellets

shot mine at 45 yards in the head with number 6 shot with extra full choke..running bird took 9 pellets to the head. i do not recomend body shoys with rimfire.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    shot mine at 45 yards in the head with number 6 shot with extra full choke..running bird took 9 pellets to the head. i do not recomend body shoys with rimfire.
    I hit my turkey rather hard with a 12g, and was actually suprised to read a .22 can be used. Has anyone actually done it?
    I would think it would be terribly under powered for the job.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Have not done it myself, a story so hearsay yet was talking with a guy who swears he saw his friend get a Tom @ 178 laser rangefinder verified yards with a .17. Shot for the vitals like it was an Elk, he got his bird. Rimfire's legal when Turkey is not on Bow or Shot Only.

Biggest advantage to the shotgun is most hunt turkeys on farmland because that is where most are found. The shotgun is safer under these conditions because of dwellings, livestock, and people

Personally I would go with the shotgun because it opens up the ability to hunt a larger variety of locations safely

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Biggest advantage to the shotgun is most hunt turkeys on farmland because that is where most are found. The shotgun is safer under these conditions because of dwellings, livestock, and people

Personally I would go with the shotgun because it opens up the ability to hunt a larger variety of locations safely
    I could see that. I will probably go that way eventually, I am just starting out though and want to learn to shoot well so a rimfire rifle seems the way to go. Will try for grouse in the fall as well. I can only afford one firearm for now and this seemed to be the best first choice.

Seeing as I don't know any farmers and none have volunteered here, I figured I'd be on public land

As a first gun, get a shotgun! You can hunt a wide variety of stuff with them and one of the funnest things to do off season is Trap and Skeet shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
    I could see that. I will probably go that way eventually, I am just starting out though and want to learn to shoot well so a rimfire rifle seems the way to go. Will try for grouse in the fall as well. I can only afford one firearm for now and this seemed to be the best first choice.

Seeing as I don't know any farmers and none have volunteered here, I figured I'd be on public land
    Only way to get permission from a farmer is knock on the door ask respectfully and cross your fingers

Often if you build a good reputation with one it opens doors with others in the area

as for learning to shoot well shotguns and rim firearms are very different when it comes to getting good
    Last edited by Wild one; 03-14-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Agreed, and I hear you both. The main reason I went with rimfire over shotgun is that I want to move on to big game sooner than later, and I don't plan on hunting waterfowl for quite some time, if ever. Also, I don't know that I have time for the recreational/off season aspect of shooting, and meat is my primary goal here.

Guess I could have started with a centrefire rifle instead, but then there's no option for turkey or grouse!