Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turkey hunting around Penticton

Re: Turkey hunting around Penticton

BC seems to be among the few places that allows rimfire for turkey hunting. And for sniping them in fields, it's a good tool. But I can't recommend a .22 or .17 for turkey or grouse hunting. Lots of guys say they take head shots and either kill or miss. I say they are being naive. There are undoubtedly lots of birds wounded by rifle bullets... just nicked, or the beak shot off, or leg, or whatever. I've seen it, and I encourage the use of a shotgun for these birds... plus, you don't have to put the gun down when the bird takes off! And a shotgun is infinitely better is brushy situations..

Admittedly, I did shoot my first turkey with a .22. My scoped rifle was sighted in at 75 yards.... and when the bird quickly closed to 15 yards I shot right over its head with my first attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by badgreenbird View Post
    BC seems to be among the few places that allows rimfire for turkey hunting. And for sniping them in fields, it's a good tool. But I can't recommend a .22 or .17 for turkey or grouse hunting. Lots of guys say they take head shots and either kill or miss. I say they are being naive. There are undoubtedly lots of birds wounded by rifle bullets... just nicked, or the beak shot off, or leg, or whatever. I've seen it, and I encourage the use of a shotgun for these birds... plus, you don't have to put the gun down when the bird takes off! And a shotgun is infinitely better is brushy situations..

Admittedly, I did shoot my first turkey with a .22. My scoped rifle was sighted in at 75 yards.... and when the bird quickly closed to 15 yards I shot right over its head with my first attempt!
    Appreciate your post. I'll keep that in mind for close shots, the 17 shoots quite a bit flatter so if I sight 1/2" low at 100 yards I should hit everything in between.

I will be trying a few methods, it turns out I'm a natural with a diaphragm call so I'll try to call them in from a blind and spot and stalk for longer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by badgreenbird View Post

I've been hunting turkeys since the season started many years ago in the Creston Valley. I have shot many turkeys, from very close to 50 or so yards. Many times I find that the turkey has been wounded at some point in its life. never have I found a rifle bullet, but many shotgun pellets!
    I have used a old 22mag rimfire since the start and find it to be a VERY effective turkey gun.

So is there any good places to go? Im trying to justify the cost of a spring hunt, as the fuel prices etc....
    its a very expensive bird!
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by shelg View Post
    Better check page 16 of the regs.....no rimfire.
    Are we reading the same regs? Page 16 says rimfire for grouse, ptarmigan and turkey.