Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make your kokanee corn???

How do you make your kokanee corn???

Here's one of our videos on making kokanee corn. It worked well last summer. Can't wait to make more.
    https://youtu.be/JiEYKIJx_R4

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: How do you make your kokanee corn???

Cute video, cute kids.

You do realize though that corn is incredibly difficult for fish to digest, can and does bung them up, which can and does lead to a rather slow death.
    Fine if you're simply using it on your hook.
    Not so much if used as chum to bring them in...

Just a Head's Up is all.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: How do you make your kokanee corn???

Nice video Ill have to give that a try for sure.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Cute video, cute kids.

You do realize though that corn is incredibly difficult for fish to digest, can and does bung them up, which can and does lead to a rather slow death.

Just a Head's Up is all.

Cheers,
    Nog
    This is more of an old wives tale, it is true that corn isn't that good for fish but it doesn't kill them.
    There's been a few studies done, here's a blurb from one.

"Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.

During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn."

I use corn for Kokanee that I dye and soak in tuna oil and garlic, they go nuts for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    This is more of an old wives tale, it is true that corn isn't that good for fish but it doesn't kill them.
    There's been a few studies done, here's a blurb from one.

"Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.

During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn."

I use corn for Kokanee that I dye and soak in tuna oil and garlic, they go nuts for it.

This is correct

Can also say for a fact trout have a habit of eating small rocks when aggressively feeding on nymphs/larva and succeed to pass them

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    This is correct

Can also say for a fact trout have a habit of eating small rocks when aggressively feeding on nymphs/larva and succeed to pass them
    Wish I had a digestive tract like fish?

You guys beat me to it. I have posted this article on Kokanee Fishing BC a few times.

As for chumming with corn, I do believe it's illegal in British Columbia. We put one piece of corn on each hook while fishing for kokanee. I don't use bait when rainbow fishing.

As for kokanee not being able to digest the corn....I don't see this being an issue after I bonk them. When I reach my limit, I stop fishing for kokanee, but that's another topic all together.

I love kokanee fishing. Probably one of my most favourite at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Cute video, cute kids.

Just a Head's Up is all.

Cheers,
    Nog

This is just an old wive's tale.

Fish can digest hard-shelled beetles but not corn?! Give your left-wing head a shake!!

It comes out their butt just like in humans ... still looks like corn.

Lighten up bud!!

Arrow Re: How do you make your kokanee corn???

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Give your left-wing head a shake!!
    Left Wing?? LOL! You have obviously mistaken me for another one of your like-thinking Buddies!!

This is just an old wive's tale.

It comes out their butt just like in humans ... still looks like corn.
    When I was back in school, we had an occasion to perform necropsies on a fair number of Rainbow Trout that had been found dead at Police Outpost Lake in Southern Alberta. All were smaller specimens, and all were visibly bloated. Without exception, the 50 some odd trout had been bunged up by consuming multiple pieces of corn. Apparently their mouths were large enough to ingest it, but the other end was not of sufficient size to pass it. As a consequence, they died.

I was a tad too hasty in my response above, and I freely admit that.
    It appears that in the case of larger fish, passage without change is normal (such as you suggest in your reference above).
    That said, some smaller fish, such as the ones I personally observed, are susceptible to problems associated with consuming corn.

And I will indeed try to "Lighten Up".
    Housebound and Irritated by the Crazies these days.
    Learning, however slowly, to simply ignore them...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I just can't believe those 2 adorable youngsters did the entire video without getting red dye up past the chair rails on the walls..
    Well done, boys, thank you.
    Steven