Thread: New Hunter in the Okanagan

New Hunter in the Okanagan

Hi all,

I'm posting here in the hopes of meeting and talking to some like minded people! I've had my PAL and CORE for a couple years but it wasn't until last season, 2017, that I really got into things. And I'm hooked! It's February now and all that's on my mind is the upcoming hunting season and planning how I'm going to spend that time.

A bit about me; I'm 23 living and working in Kelowna. I grew up in the Kootenays where I spent my childhood in the mountains and back country camping, skiing and climbing. Both my parents are mountain guides, who are super passionate about the outdoors and this incredible province that we live in. However neither of them are hunters and none of our family friends are into this pursuit.

I got my licenses while living with a friend who had his core and usually harvested an elk every season. The prospect of spending time in the mountains and putting food in the freezer was incredible! I had also been brought up eating well and caring about where your food comes from. So it was a natural progression to get into hunting.

I moved out of that house with that hunter to take a job here, in the Okanagan. Him and I went our separate ways which isolated me from knowing someone who is experienced in hunting. I didn't hunt for two years because I was so intimidated by my lack of knowledge.
    Later I met a guy at work who was also just getting into hunting. We spent the season of 2017 together stumbling around the bush figuring things out. It was a great season! We were fortunate enough to harvest two deer, turkeys and some upland game birds! He has since moved to the coast, and while we talk daily about hunting and plan on doing many trips in 2018, it would be nice to meet some people locally.

My primary interests are back country hunting or back pack hunting. I simply love spending time in the woods. My goal for 2018 is to harvest a high country Mule Deer.

So far I've spent the end of the 2017 season up until now being a knowledge sponge watching hundreds of YouTube videos from the likes of Randy, Kuiu and others. I've ordered books on deer hunting and trawled the forums for hours.
    Big shout out to the Newbie Hunter Podcast! The knowledge bombs are unreal! And they have really opened my eyes to conservation which has gotten me seriously interested in the subject.

I should say that I have most of the gear required for back pack hunting minus a frame pack for hunting. Oh and a spotting scope... But those items will come in time. Pack first.

So as I said above I'd love to simply talk to you guys! The community here seems great so far. Bonus if some of you live in the Okanagan and want to grab a beer and have a chat!

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter in the Okanagan

Spring Bear season is coming soon!
    Great time to get outside and see some animals.

Just in case spring bear wasn't on your todo list.

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    Spring Bear season is coming soon!
    Great time to get outside and see some animals.

Just in case spring bear wasn't on your todo list.
    Bear is! I've heard smoked bear ham is amazing

Will try hams this year.

My kids love the bear smokies from last year and Wife has little interest in deer but insists I bring home another bear.

If if you want to have some fun.
    Go out in June and try predator calling them.