Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red wing Elk Tracker or Irish setter

Red wing Elk Tracker or Irish setter

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Redwings. Wondering what you folks think of these boots.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Red wing Elk Tracker or Irish setter

I have the Irish setter elk trackers. There a good early season boot they only have 400 g of insulation. Good comfortable boots. But they soak through quickly if it’s wet

Are yours gore Tex lined?

No I cheaped out.

For hunting boots, why not spend a bit more to get something really good: Hanwag, Meindl, Kenetrek etc?

My Meindl's are only 200gr thinsulate, but they are bombproof and my feet stay warm even down to frigid temps.

I wear Irish Setters with 1000g insulation. They are great, I have no complaints. I don't spend a huge amount of time in the bush and I remember reading they are not as durable now as they used to be, but all my stitching, etc, is fine after 5 year. I've never had a problem with wet feet either, but I hunt region 3 where it's fairly dry, and I always put gaiters on.

I have the Elk trackers 1000 g with gore tex I have hunted with them for perhaps 6 or 7 years. Never had wet or cold feet. I silicon and polish every year and they are still like new. Great boot .

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    For hunting boots, why not spend a bit more to get something really good: Hanwag, Meindl, Kenetrek etc?

My Meindl's are only 200gr thinsulate, but they are bombproof and my feet stay warm even down to frigid temps.
    I agree, especially for that sheep draw you just pulled!
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    I wear Irish Setters with 1000g insulation. They are great, I have no complaints. I don't spend a huge amount of time in the bush and I remember reading they are not as durable now as they used to be, but all my stitching, etc, is fine after 5 year. I've never had a problem with wet feet either, but I hunt region 3 where it's fairly dry, and I always put gaiters on.

I should have added (like Frango did) that I take care to oil my boots well each year with mink oil. The leather is extremely supple and comfortable. Wool socks & you're comfy alllllllllllll day even in -C temperatures.

I had a pair of Irish Setters for about 5 years of hard use before they finally broke down. They were okay boots.

I wear Red Wing work boots everyday 12 hrs a day 5
    - 6 days a week. I have gone through two pairs in 10 yrs. They are okay but the last pair hasn't lasted nearly as long as the old pair. It seems as though their leather and quality has changed.

For what its worth I would hold out for a better boot.