Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

Thumbs up Re: Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    ... Stick too it learn from failure and you can tag an archery bear. Give up and pick up the rifle you won’t learn how to get the job done
    The set-up you're using is MORE than capable of taking any black bear that walks the planet.
    I run a Matrix 380 with only a few differences in equipment and would extremely confident at 60 yards.
    Every single time.

Be sneaky. Be quiet. Get close enough, and ONLY shoot when the shot is right.
    You will feel it.

Good Luck!
    Looking forward to the tale & the pix!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    I agree with the thought that it depends on how bad you want a bear. I'm planing a spring bear hunt (again) and am seriously considering bow only. I'm sure that if it gets late in the hunt, I'll break out the WSM, but I've shot plenty of bears with a rifle....I don't find that particularly difficult. If you're at it for the experience more than the necessity, my vote is use your crossbow. Not everyone can do it, or at least has done it.
    I agree. I'm taking the crossbow. Should be a fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    The set-up you're using is MORE than capable of taking any black bear that walks the planet.
    I run a Matrix 380 with only a few differences in equipment and would extremely confident at 60 yards.
    Every single time.

You will feel it.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Thanks. I'll definitely post some picks.
    What bolts and broadheads do you use? I'll probably stick with what I have for now because that's what I've been practicing with.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Every single time.

You will feel it.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
    Nog
    What Nog said except get to know bear anatomy, study how they move, what parts get covered by what bone etc.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I was also thinking of getting some of those illuminated nocks. Are they worth it? Any brand recommendations?
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

Excalibur makes their own diablo bolts with Burt Coyote lumenoks already built in at the factory. Thread your broadhead and you're ready to go hunting. Fairly expensive at $75 for a three pack but like I said they're ready to shoot right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Bears are easy to get close to just watch your wind

Personally see no need for 60yards but if a guy is comfortable go for it. Personally my archery bears have been from 4-35yards all spot&stalk. With good wind and a calm bear it’s not hard to get within 30yards in my opinion. Move slow and be willing to crawl keeping movements for when they are facing away. A black sweater can help because it can cause them to think your another bear. Proffer to avoid clear cuts do to all the noise stalking through them.

Dont take shots your not 100% on. Give them an hour after the shot so you increase your odds of bear being down and your less likely to push them to run farther. If it gets dark wait till morning to try and track your bear. It’s not fun walking up on a wounded bear in thick stuff up close and personal. Shot gun with 00buck is nice when it comes to recovery in thick stuff

Bear fur soaks up blood very well so look for more then blood when tracking. Have had a high lung hit bear leave no blood till it bedded down to die 50yards from where it was shot. I have had bears run up trees to die and burry under slash piles so not always expiring in conventional places

Taken a good number of bears with archery and involved in helping many others taking bears.

Have never used lighted knocks so can’t add here

Archery black bear is fairly easy but you have to stick with it and hunt with the thought of you must get close in mind. Target locations that are in your favour and focus on creating opportunities on calm unknowing bears. But I have jumped out of my truck run up whistling to stop a bear shooting him at 30yards lol

Stick too it learn from failure and you can tag an archery bear. Give up and pick up the rifle you won’t learn how to get the job done

Your hunt your call
    This is good advice....like he said, if the wind is good, and you take your time, bears are easy to stalk...

Cool Re: Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

Quote Originally Posted by bottles View Post
    ... What bolts and broadheads do you use? I'll probably stick with what I have for now because that's what I've been practicing with.
    Good idea to stick with what you know for now!

Btw, bolts is the term for the old crossbow projectiles that had no fletching.
    Modern ones with fletching are termed arrows.

I only run Custom Zombie Slayers developed explicitly for extra long range accuracy.
    While more expensive than what you can collect off the shelf, they more than live up to their reputation.
    2 & 3 inch groups at 100 yards are very common with them.
    The have Blaser Vanes with both helical and offset (simply means that arrow spins like a drill after leaving the bow) which stabilize the arrow in flight.
    Each, when tipped with a 125 grain field point or broadhead weighs EXACTLY 405 grains. The tolerances of my arrow maker keep them within less than 1/2 a grain of difference.
    Each is equipped with a Luminok. Since going to these several years ago, I do not shoot any arrow without Luminoks.
    Love watching the Tracer Effect to target (helps call your shot on game) and you recover a LOT more arrows as a result of them being there.
    Each is also 1/2 inch longer than the recommended size for the 380 Matrix.

I have tried numerous broadheads over the years.
    As my bow is right tricked out for maximum speed and accuracy, it shoots mechanicals the best.
    I found that 125 grain Spitfire Broadheads shoot to damn near the exact same point of impact as 125 grain field tips.
    The hole these things leave is large, producing huge and short blood trails.
    Been more than happy with them, and will not be switching any time soon.

My Partner prefers a fixed blade broadhead. He has also experimented a lot, and discovered that of the lot the Slick Tricks are the answer for his bow. I have seen him shoot a fair amount, and can testify that they are indeed accurate and lethal.

Gave up on Boltcutters after the first year of owning a crossbow.
    They kill, but they leave very scant blood trails IMO.
    Thus began the search for a larger cutting diameter for me.
    Since going to the Spitfires I have been more than pleased with the results.

Good Luck on your hunt!
    Have Fun and hopefully a Big Bruin is in the cards for you.

Cheers,
    Nog

PS: I second what Foxy noted above about studying bear anatomy, movement and shot placement.
    They are rather different than a deer. Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm learning a lot and still have a ways to go before the hunt.
    I will study up on bear anatomy and movement, and of course, keep practicing with the 380.
    Thanks Nog, for sharing your arrows and broadheads; something I'll look into in the future. I think I will pick up some lumenoks before the hunt.
    I appreciate all the help.

I kill one almost every year with my longbow, they are not difficult to get close to. Hunt with your crossbow and enjoy the experience .

Quote Originally Posted by TDHunter View Post
    I kill one almost every year with my longbow, they are not difficult to get close to. Hunt with your crossbow and enjoy the experience .
    Yes, I'll be taking out the crossbow.
    I would love to try it with a longbow, but it'll be a few years before I'm ready for that.