Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

I got a Matrix 380 last year. I haven't tried to harvest an animal with it yet. I've been getting in some practice and am confident going out <40yrds.
    Running 250gr 18" Diablo Bolts and 150gr Excalibur Boltcutter Crossbow Broadhead.
    This will be my first bear hunt and first crossbow hunt. Any advice? Should I just bring out the .308 instead? Aside from bow fishing experience with my recurve, I'm pretty new to bow/crossbow hunting.
    I was also thinking of getting some of those illuminated nocks. Are they worth it? Any brand recommendations?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Bear With a Crossbow?

Rifle gives you greater distance. Depends on the terrain and how close you can get, and how bad you want a Bear.
    Archery is always more exciting but may take longer to get the distance close enough on the perfect shot.
    Keep practicing until your confident at 60yds. lumenoks help late in the evening.

Bears are easy to get close to just watch your wind

Personally see no need for 60yards but if a guy is comfortable go for it. Personally my archery bears have been from 4-35yards all spot&stalk. With good wind and a calm bear it’s not hard to get within 30yards in my opinion. Move slow and be willing to crawl keeping movements for when they are facing away. A black sweater can help because it can cause them to think your another bear. Proffer to avoid clear cuts do to all the noise stalking through them.

Dont take shots your not 100% on. Give them an hour after the shot so you increase your odds of bear being down and your less likely to push them to run farther. If it gets dark wait till morning to try and track your bear. It’s not fun walking up on a wounded bear in thick stuff up close and personal. Shot gun with 00buck is nice when it comes to recovery in thick stuff

Bear fur soaks up blood very well so look for more then blood when tracking. Have had a high lung hit bear leave no blood till it bedded down to die 50yards from where it was shot. I have had bears run up trees to die and burry under slash piles so not always expiring in conventional places

Taken a good number of bears with archery and involved in helping many others taking bears.

Have never used lighted knocks so can’t add here

Archery black bear is fairly easy but you have to stick with it and hunt with the thought of you must get close in mind. Target locations that are in your favour and focus on creating opportunities on calm unknowing bears. But I have jumped out of my truck run up whistling to stop a bear shooting him at 30yards lol

Stick too it learn from failure and you can tag an archery bear. Give up and pick up the rifle you won’t learn how to get the job done

Your hunt your call

What area are you thinking?

That's the whole point of bow hunting isn't it, trying to get up close. I've hunted spot and stallk for bears a number of times with my compound from the ground. I keep my shooting limit at 30 yards. It's not hard to get that close. Remember, you are dealing with a predator. Want to make sure that arrow is put where it needs to be.

Some great advice guys; it's appreciated.
    I'll be in Region 3.
    I should have added that this isn't a solo hunt, and my friend has successfully hunted bears, but only with rifles. He has no bow/crossbow experience.
    I'll be getting in as much practice as I can. The goal is to work my way out to 60yrds+, but I don't think I'll be confident at that distance by the time I'm getting out there. I think I will take the crossbow and keep my shots under 40. If I get skunked, I'm sure I'll still learn a thing or two. If we see a nice one at 40+ he can always bag it with the rifle.
    Thanks

If you target the less commonly targeted locations in 3 you can find less spooky bears. Also hunt all day not just late afternoon. I don’t have much luck early morning but have shot lots of mid day bears

Lytton/Merrit North things get better. Best region 3 MUs to hunt spring bear are the ones you never hear of others going.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    If you target the less commonly targeted locations in 3 you can find less spooky bears. Also hunt all day not just late afternoon. I don’t have much luck early morning but have shot lots of mid day bears

Lytton/Merrit North things get better. Best region 3 MUs to hunt spring bear are the ones you never hear of others going.

Great advice.

That goes for deer too! I know my fav spots have not been mentioned on here once.

Thanks again.

I agree with the thought that it depends on how bad you want a bear. I'm planing a spring bear hunt (again) and am seriously considering bow only. I'm sure that if it gets late in the hunt, I'll break out the WSM, but I've shot plenty of bears with a rifle....I don't find that particularly difficult. If you're at it for the experience more than the necessity, my vote is use your crossbow. Not everyone can do it, or at least has done it.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)