Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This year it's Prince Rupert

This year it's Prince Rupert

For our annual salt water fishing trip, we usually head back to my old stomping grounds on the North Island but this year we decided to go North and will be hitting Prince Rupert. Since it was up in air if we were even going (who gets married in prime salmon fishing season???) we are leaving it to the last minute to arrange the trip.

Looking for any tips on places to camp - can bring a 30' travel trailer. Have already talked to the local camping spots and they "might" have a spot for us. Alternatives would be a cabin or place that could sleep 4 guys and allows us to cook our own food and get cleaned up.

For any one who has fished there, what can we expect for fish species and possible size. I have fished the Skeena and Kitimat may times, but not the ocean.

Hints on places to check out? We have a 24' boat, have lots of experience on the Ocean, most for me has been the West Coast of VI, so used to open water fishing. Have boat loads (no pun intended....) of salmon and bottom fishing experience.

PM's are good if you want.

Looking forward to an new adventure and seeing some new country!!!

Thanks

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: This year it's Prince Rupert

One thing to think about if Rupert is in area 1 theres a decent chance chinook limits in that area will be decreased this year. FYI

Have fun dude!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

If you are looking to camp and have your own boat I would head into Work Channel as good fishing up that way, otherwise the only camping is one of the 3 RV campsites, which I suppose would be ok. No paid parking down at Work Channel though
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Up in the air right now on what might happen with the Chinook. In that case, go late July. Limit out on Coho and probably tag a few Chinook. Head outside Stephens island or north of triple island for Halibut. Better chance of favourable weather then also.

Mouth of work channel is very productive that time of year too. But a bit far to day trip from launch. There is a floating dock with rooms out there. Heard it sold and rate have gone way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    If you are looking to camp and have your own boat I would head into Work Channel as good fishing up that way, otherwise the only camping is one of the 3 RV campsites, which I suppose would be ok. No paid parking down at Work Channel though
    Do not bring a 30ft rv into the work channel. Your only asking for troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    Thunderstix, what are the 3 RV sites? We have talked to the one downtown and the one at Port Edwards, where is the third? or are you talking about the park out of town?

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Up in the air right now on what might happen with the Chinook. In that case, go late July. Limit out on Coho and probably tag a few Chinook. Head outside Stephens island or north of triple island for Halibut. Better chance of favourable weather then also.
    What are the rumours about Chinook for this year?

Work Channel is not happening this year, especially with the trailer. That's a long run to the mouth every day!!!

Will work something out, more than a few people have stated to just camp in Wally Worlds parking lot!

Thanks all for your PM's and replies so far!!

Cheers

SS

"In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

might not be much of a season at all... Might be closed all together in some of the best areas for our lovely killer whales.

Google SRKW proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    might not be much of a season at all... Might be closed all together in some of the best areas for our lovely killer whales.

Google SRKW proposal.
    Long way from where I will be fishing.

Cheers

SS