Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another BC species at risk and likely to be banned from hunting and trapping

Re: Another BC species at risk and likely to be banned from hunting and trapping

As the old saying goes "Hare today, gone tomorrow."

Re: Another BC species at risk and likely to be banned from hunting and trapping

"We trapped three hares in January that were almost completely brown, and it's the first time that has been recorded in eastern North America," lead researcher Laura Gigliotti told ScienceDaily.com in 2017. “There are hare populations in the Cascades in Washington that don't moult completely, but that had not been documented elsewhere.”
    Three hares?! OMG. Well there's a lot of smart people in eastern North America surely someone will pull a rabbit out the hat on this one.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Seen more snowshoes the last two years then ever before
    Same.... my son asked why we didn’t shoot any ? This year we will !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Nobody is saying anything about reductions in populations (despite the fake title of this thread).
    The paper examines the lack of adaptation of pelage colour changes, as the onset of winter is less consistent due to climate change.
    It goes on to address other adaptations found in populations in areas that have experienced changes in seasonal phenology.

Gigliotti, L. C., Diefenbach, D. R., & Sheriff, M. J. (2017). Geographic variation in winter adaptations of snowshoe hares (Lepus americanus). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 95(, 539-545.

Let me guess a little cut and paste involved in the last reply

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Nobody is saying anything about reductions in populations (despite the fake title of this thread).
    The paper examines the lack of adaptation of pelage colour changes, as the onset of winter is less consistent due to climate change.
    It goes on to address other adaptations found in populations in areas that have experienced changes in seasonal phenology.

Gigliotti, L. C., Diefenbach, D. R., & Sheriff, M. J. (2017). Geographic variation in winter adaptations of snowshoe hares (Lepus americanus). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 95(, 539-545.
    I grew up in Northern Alberta. We had and have a healthy snowshoe hare population. Winter snows would start anywhere from October to December. That was 35 years ago. How much more inconsistent is it now?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I grew up in Northern Alberta. We had and have a healthy snowshoe hare population. Winter snows would start anywhere from October to December. That was 35 years ago. How much more inconsistent is it now?
    I was going say the same thing. The colour change has to do with light, yes, but snow still happened late some years and early other years. What happened then?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    I was going say the same thing. The colour change has to do with light, yes, but snow still happened late some years and early other years. What happened then?
    Well our Jazzy wasn't wasn't born then so one will never know....

GROAN !!!!

hunters are a species at risk