Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rain jackets

Re: Rain jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I would bypass Arcteryx and go with Westcomb in either Event or Polartec neoshell made in Canada super high quality Athletic fit.Why pay all that cash for a jacket made oversees when Westcomb is just as good and made here.
    Ive been using an eVent jacket and pants for some years now, the pants only about 3 years and the jacket probably 7. The eVent jacket is Integral Designs and the pants are Westcomb eVent. I think I may expect too much out of this “waterproof breathable” material, but I have been soaked through multiple times on both while in wet conditions. Especially if there’s any brush involved, then it’s very quick. Maybe I don’t reapply the DWR treatment enough but even when fresh they soak through quickly.
    It was time to replace the jacket so I went with Columbia Outdry because there are lots of great reviews, and didn’t have any soak through in the mountains this year, but also didn’t experience much really wet weather luckily. Still have the Westcomb pants.

A few notes on the Arc'teryx stuff...

It really is pretty much "the best" - not to say other stuff isn't as good, but it's hard to find something better... having said that you need to know:

1) They design activity-specific and hunting isn't one of their activities. I personally use a Rush jacket because it's designed for skiing and I like having the skirt so the jacket doesn't ride up when it's raining BUT the front pocket location is poor for one-handed use or if you are wearing a pack.

2) I would never pay full price. They have a factory outlet in North Vancouver and some websites sell year-end colours at the factory discount. The factory outlet sells LEAF gear without you needing to be part of law enforcement. If I remember right it's basically a lighter weight version of their SV stuff with colour options and a few other bits.
    leaf.arcteryx.com/Home.aspx?country=ca&language=en

3) As mentioned their warranty is amazing. Having said that... remember what you are wearing and what you are doing... I had my Rush jacket replaced because there was nothing between the inner liner and a leatherman pouch I wore at my hip. Over time the rough material of the leatherman pouch abraided the inner goretex lining. Now I make sure to wear a light wool shirt that covers the pouch - same for having the waist belt of a pack too tight, etc. etc. (note - remember what I said about design specific - when I got my Rush jacket replaced, they had changed the location of the inner pockets - because that's wear you put a ski pass and hills had standardized on a specific location for the RFID)

4) Gore-tex is EXPENSIVE to maintain properly. If you use it often you need to PROPERLY wash it and re-apply the DWR treatment (what makes the water "bead"). This is not waxed cotton or rubber gear.

5) Going back to the LEAF gear and the Factory outlet store. The also have a "pro" line which you have to be a guide to get - again, you can sometimes find this at their Factory store - if you do get it!
    pro.arcteryx.com/products/

IMO all this high-end stuff is great, but I personally can't justify the prices so I keep looking for manufacturers that have Factory/discontinued sales, etc. - I'm talking 50% off (because I'm not paying $1,000 for a jacket). So, I will say that a very close second place for me is Helly Hansen gear because of their factory outlet in Burlington (when the dollar is decent).

If you want to go a LOT cheaper, I've had really good experiences with Columbia gear - they sometimes have decent staff at their factory store in Seattle. You shouldn't pay more than $200 for any of their stuff. As well, most (not all) of the First Ascent gear from Eddie Bauer - this routinely goes for 40% - 50% off.

Hope that helps.

Good to know. Ill be down on the coast in april and will check out the outlet store. Ill keep an eye on hbc for some deals some other members have also mentioned. Good information all.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I bought it on sale for $100 per piece. The Badlands I bought also on sale for $100.
    I've only used the badlands jacket for one season, so I may report a reduction in water resistance next season. Remains to be seen!...
    I'm twitching because Cabelas has the Space Rain jacket on for $70, seems like it's hard to beat for that price.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I have had the Badlands exo rain gear for 5 or 6 years now. I only wear it when its raining and its held up well. Was not cheap. 300 a piece almost. I was suprosed when I learned that it doenst have goretex considering its worked so well. I have stayed ontop of treating it with a new coat of DWR (My friend told me to hit it in the dryer high heat to activate it properly) and its been good. Its not super packable and its on the heavier side for alpine trips (2lbs) But it does go over all my puffy clothes and is quiet for rain gear.

Sitka storm front top to bottom. Couldn’t be happier with keeping the weather out, pockets in all the right places. Can vent out the heat by opening zips in all the right places. Not cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Can you shed more light on the Cabelas space stuff, when it's on sale it seems hard to beat for $70.00 and that Badlands Exo jacket is $300.00 for 100% polyester DWR.......I'm very surprised that for that price it's not Gore or a derivative.
    The cabelas stuff soaked through pretty quick.
    The exo jacket I bought on clearance, Clarence. It was about $100 in a discontinued pattern, or something like that. If it's truly hammering rain, I wear a full kit of dakota stretchy rubber. Not pioneer as I initially posted, that's my work gear. Whoops.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.