Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia about being followed...

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Paranoia about being followed...

Many years ago when I was very actively hunting before I retired, I had an incident that led
    to paranoid feelings of being followed into my most secret hunting places. As is common,
    those workmates that hunt and fish often chat around the lunchroom about their successes
    and failures. I was no exception, but even though I was usually quite successful, didn't really
    consider or worry about other workers trying to find my best spots. That all changed one fall.
    As is usually the case, several other workers also booked the same time off to go hunting as me.
    Especially when considering the short time frame allowed, I didn't think anything about it.
    As it turned out, a non-hunter workmate friend overheard some workers plotting to tail me into
    my 'honey holes'. They knew my truck and when I was going to head out. One of the things they
    didn't consider was that almost all commercial truck drivers are constantly watching their mirrors so
    become interested if they notice vehicles hanging back and keeping the same pace as they are.
    On this trip one of my brothers was along. With the forewarning, we pulled into Hope and drove
    around in the residential area a bit before stopping for fuel and then went into a restaurant for
    a meal. We were able to confirm we were being tailed. After eating, we left and headed up the
    Canyon highway, taking the Spences Bridge to Merritt route, and from there we headed north toward
    Tunkwa Lake. We knew this road like the back of my hand, and as it was all gravel which I had extensive
    racing experience on, we were able to get far ahead of the tailing party. Once reaching the main hwy at
    Savona, we headed to Kamloops, and then on to the Little Fort-100 Mile hwy. They had absolutely
    no idea where we went, or even in what region.....so how many will admit to have either tried to follow
    someone, or have also been followed?
    Last edited by Big Lew; 02-17-2018 at 10:31 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Paranoia about being followed...

Wow that's a crazy story. I hope you had something to say to those guys back at work?

someone found the road to tinfoil junction
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    Wow that's a crazy story. I hope you had something to say to those guys back at work?
    Nope, just a big smile every time they looked at me.

Only had that "Feeling"when I'm out fishing and you are catching fish and everyone else starts to follow you?

i have been known to park my truck in location x so anybody in the area who knows me thinks i am hunting there...then go to my blind in someone elses truck..lol sounds like those guys went for 1 hell of a drive.

I just walk down into the river bottom bush. Never had an issue with people following me down there.

In kelowna this is how people find hunting spots, nobody works and looks for themselves they like to work off other peoples sweat

Quote Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact! View Post
    In kelowna this is how people find hunting spots, nobody works and looks for themselves they like to work off other peoples sweat
    Those are called millennials.

I used to seek solitude when hunting. But came a time when that all changed.
    I went to my usual spot where there was once nary a soul. Then came a day when hunters popped up like flies on a bear's ass. I was pretty sure they weren't tailing me. I was considering on going to scout another area but decided to plant my ass on a log up against a stump that served as a back rest and watch the area.
    I had a good vista and could see a hunter here and a hunter there and a several more to boot. All had accessed the area off the same road at different intervals. Probably oblivious to each other but you know how sound travels up hill, I could hear them quite plainly.
    As I watched them, a strange occurrence unveiled. Animals started to appear, a coyote, a bear and several deer. And a nice buck among them.
    The nice thing, these animals are moving in my general direction. I would lose sight of them periodically and then they would show. I had lost interest in the bear and the coyote dropped off the map but the deer were advancing in my general direction. And then I couldn't see them.
    I couldn't remember the lay of the land in front of me and was surprised when the buck appeared directly in front less than 50 yards away. He was looking over his shoulder back whence he came. I must have coughed or farted as he swung his head back to the front, tensing up like they do just before they bolt. I was ready though as I had slid the safety to fire position ( remember the cough or fart? must've been the safety), shouldered and fire just as he launched himself.
    You know you got a good shot off when you hear that deep thwack sound that instantly follows the rifle report.
    And you know how the report of a rifle is sure to draw a crowd? Good thing, I had help gutting and dragging the buck to the road.
    So if one day your favorite secret hunting spot is overrun with hunters, don't worry, be happy. Plant your ass on a stump and let your involuntary drivers do the work for you. Worked for me.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Those are called millennials.

I used to seek solitude when hunting. But came a time when that all changed.
    I went to my usual spot where there was once nary a soul. Then came a day when hunters popped up like flies on a bear's ass. I was pretty sure they weren't tailing me. I was considering on going to scout another area but decided to plant my ass on a log up against a stump that served as a back rest and watch the area.
    I had a good vista and could see a hunter here and a hunter there and a several more to boot. All had accessed the area off the same road at different intervals. Probably oblivious to each other but you know how sound travels up hill, I could hear them quite plainly.
    As I watched them, a strange occurrence unveiled. Animals started to appear, a coyote, a bear and several deer. And a nice buck among them.
    The nice thing, these animals are moving in my general direction. I would lose sight of them periodically and then they would show. I had lost interest in the bear and the coyote dropped off the map but the deer were advancing in my general direction. And then I couldn't see them.
    I couldn't remember the lay of the land in front of me and was surprised when the buck appeared directly in front less than 50 yards away. He was looking over his shoulder back whence he came. I must have coughed or farted as he swung his head back to the front, tensing up like they do just before they bolt. I was ready though as I had slid the safety to fire position ( remember the cough or fart? must've been the safety), shouldered and fire just as he launched himself.
    You know you got a good shot off when you hear that deep thwack sound that instantly follows the rifle report.
    And you know how the report of a rifle is sure to draw a crowd? Good thing, I had help gutting and dragging the buck to the road.
    So if one day your favorite secret hunting spot is overrun with hunters, don't worry, be happy. Plant your ass on a stump and let your involuntary drivers do the work for you. Worked for me.

Happened to me too.

I was in a popular spot, I realized that but I was still a little disappointed to see some guys right on the road as I drove up to a place I intended to hike into just before dark in an old burn where I'd seen lots of sign, and some does. One guy was walking and he stopped and pulled out a can of beer and a smoke and sat on the side of the road and a buddy came along on a quad and they started yacking.

I drove about a half a km around the corner, parked and slowly started uphill in a gulley surrounded by the burned up black trunks of the trees from the fire. After about half an hour I saw a movement and there was a buck coming along from the direction those guys had been in.

I'm sure that deer had intended to cross the road near where they were and had been effectively driven towards me.