Thread: Home built wall tent stoves-chimney length

Home built wall tent stoves-chimney length

I'm building a couple wood stoves out of old propane tanks. One is a standard 20lb bbq tank, which will be used to heat my 12x20 shop, the other is a maybe 30lb tank, about 50% taller than the 20, which will be used for hunting shacks. Tarp tent/shanty/enclosed trailer/wall tent eventually.
    My question is how far do I need to run the stove pipe vertically to get it to draw well, before running it horizontal to poke out through the wall?

Anyone have any tips or tricks, things they like or dislike about their stoves? Things you wish it had, or find absolutely unnecessary?

If anyone wants a write up on how I'm building them, I can do that if the interest is there.
    Cheers
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Home built wall tent stoves-chimney length

I run pipes 3 to 5 feet above for a good draw.Just be safe and secure them well in case of heavy winds.You don't want to be outside in your gonch tying down your stove pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    I run pipes 3 to 5 feet above for a good draw.Just be safe and secure them well in case of heavy winds.You don't want to be outside in your gonch tying down your stove pipe?
    Been there and done that!!! Luckily day time

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    3 to 5 feet above the stove, the horizontal section, or the peak of the tent?

Just use a six inch riser off your stove, then turn your elbow into a 45 degree angle and up thru the hole. No horizontal pipes.

The horizontal section

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I don't know why I typed horizontal. I meant kick it at a 45, then poke out at that angle, like stinkyduck said.
    I've got a wack of 3" exhaust pipe off of a couple old diesels out at the shop, think that's a big enough pipe?

I have built a stove for my hunting trailer with a 3 inch pipe straight up through the roof but found it too small and had to change to 4 inch.