Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non res goat hunt??

Re: Non res goat hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    No chance of getting a permit to accompany for goats in region 4
    Last time I inquired there were a couple region 4 spots available for non-res. Were areas that hold good goat numbers but access is poor. They could have changed it, but still many gos areas in reg4 so I'd be surprised.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Arrow Re: Non res goat hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    No chance of getting a permit to accompany for goats in region 4
    Just because an animal is on the possibility list, that certainly does not mean you will get the permit.
    Sheep is an excellent case in point - still says on the books you can get a Non-Res tag if hunter hosted.
    Not a chance in hell you will EVER be issued one. Period.
    I know of a couple applications in the past two years which included goats, in areas they were listed as described above, and in which the goat tags were declined.

Would not surprise me if that were the case in Region 4.

Only way to find out for sure is do your due diligence.
    Call the Area Office in question, and ask them directly.
    Nothing quite like The Horse's Mouth as it were...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

My last inquiry was from horses mouth. There are a couple areas that get zero pressure she said would be a go, both boat access only. Just because it's gos area does not mean there's a chance, most areas are not even eligible for non red applications. Definitely call and get the list...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I didn't have time to take buddy out, so he hooked up with some boys up a northern bc river, ala jet boat. Was successful filling his non res goat tag on a billy...

Where does your hunter host think you should go?

Last time we looked into it (2017) there were two kootenay MUs available. We applied late so it’s possible there was more. One of which is primarily boat access (not sure of the other boat access MU 264winmag is thinking of?). Gotta admit a boat trip across to 4-39 for a late rut hunt is on my must do list!

If I were in your shoes I’d definitely go north tho for “easier” success. IME the kootenay goats don’t get that big and the terrain is more forgiving North. There ain’t much fun in it but there’s places up North I can think of that are literal goat freebies haha, if you know where to find their pockets that is.

Also, as tempting as it is to go in August for better weather I would wait until at least sept as the goats will be starting to fill in their coats. Don’t imagine you’ll shoot a goat every year so make sure it’s got some hair!
    Last edited by Kopper; 02-19-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Other one I'm thinkin of at that time was 4-28, I say boat access as I hear bridges are pulled?

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Other one I'm thinkin of at that time was 4-28, I say boat access as I hear bridges are pulled?
    Ah ok, figured you might be eluding to that one. You probably got more up to date info than me there.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Pick your zone carefully.
    Much like sheep (which remain on the application list) they and goats are now Verboten for Non-Res Hunter Hosted pursuit in a handful of areas (NOT spelled out in the Regs btw)..

Just a Head's Up...

Cheers,
    Nog
    There is no open season for sheep (of any sort) on the hunter host program in BC. They are still on the list of species non-residents can hunt, but it must be via an outfitter. Show me where it says sheep are eligible game on a hunter host program and I will eat my words.

On another note, to the original poster, region 6 would be your best bet for a really nice goat. They can be had elsewhere, but your chances are much better in 6.

Here is a link that will show you which regions are eligible. Unfortunately it looks like there are no opportunities in reg 4.

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/...need-to-apply/

Accept for 4-37, 4-39, 4-40. Good link thanks.

I was also told over the phone there are no hunter hosting for sheep at all in bc.