Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pint Night for BC Backcountry Hunters and Anglers This THURSDAY

Re: Pint Night for BC Backcountry Hunters and Anglers This THURSDAY

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
    What really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the BC BHA is that the guys here in Cranbrook that run it or the main group of guys seem to think its their way or the highway. ONLY pack in backcountry hunting/fishing is the way to go. That really irks me as all methods of hunting/fishing should be supported. Not just what they feel is the best view on it. One member feel we should only manage for trophy hunting... that's it. Well I am sorry to say if they manage it correctly there will be plenty of game to trophy hunt and plenty of game for all the other guys as well. So for that reason I have been hesitant to support this group, just based off the guys who are the core members here and their views. The local group here has been calling for more road closures and access restrictions to suit their needs it seems like from where I am sitting. And I am not against closures or access restrictions at all, just as long as the reasoning isn't so you can have your favorite honey hole non-motorized.

I hope not all BCBHA chapters are this elitist and they help in the fight going forward. I used to think this would be a group worth of my money, but now not so much.
    I've been attending those meetings. I can't say I've heard the word trophy come up. I know there are many who attend, that do see hunting styles in BC as different than in the USofA and that provides balance. We discussed access last night at the meeting. There is no anti-motorized vehicle position from this group. There is, an appreciation on truly wild places. I became a member and attend meetings to better understand the BHA and particularly this chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I've been attending those meetings. I can't say I've heard the word trophy come up. I know there are many who attend, that do see hunting styles in BC as different than in the USofA and that provides balance. We discussed access last night at the meeting. There is no anti-motorized vehicle position from this group. There is, an appreciation on truly wild places. I became a member and attend meetings to better understand the BHA and particularly this chapter.
    Good to know JT, as I said its just my impressions from talking with people who are members and seeing on FB how they were pushing for closures. I can respect the appreciation of truly wild places as well. Maybe I will pony up and take in a few meetings and see how it is and not let the members who rub me the wrong way paint the picture for the whole club.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

^^ I know what you mean. There are definitely those that have an agenda to raise access as the solution, however there are also those in attendance who feel access itself, is not always the only, or the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys - and the questions.

Regarding anti-motorized question: The BHA is not anti-road or anti-development but we are concerned about road density, habitat fragmentation and how they affect the long term integrity and sustainability of our public lands and waters. We support a development approach that applies an appropriate value to wild life and wild places.

It's clear that in many parts of the province the number one public issue at hand is the on-going crisis around habitat and wildlife (like the Kootenays). The BHA is working collaboratively with many like minded organizations to get the message to Victoria that the Provincial management of habitat and wildlife needs adequate funding, support for science based management and a long term funding commitment.

As far as I know there was zero reference to BC's wild life and habitat issues during today's Throne Speech. We're going to have to be pretty damn loud if we want to be heard over the din of the housing crisis and affordable day care. I'm not saying affordable housing and day-care are not important - but in my mind, a 2018 forecast of less than 200 steelhead returning to the Thompson and 50 to the Chilcotin is a crisis of equal importance. The Thompson had 7000 steelhead only 40 years ago. That's a little more than one generation...

Don't get me started on Southern Caribou or the crash of our moose populations.

BC spends 7$ per person per year on wildlife and habitat management - Idaho spends 65$.
    I became a member of BHA a short time ago to lend my support for issues that Mark mentions above. I believe BHA's core values are in the best interests of clean water, hunters, anglers and fish and wildlife and the land in which we inhabit.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys - and the questions.

Regarding anti-motorized question: The BHA is not anti-road or anti-development but we are concerned about road density, habitat fragmentation and how they affect the long term integrity and sustainability of our public lands and waters. We support a development approach that applies an appropriate value to wild life and wild places.

It's clear that in many parts of the province the number one public issue at hand is the on-going crisis around habitat and wildlife (like the Kootenays). The BHA is working collaboratively with many like minded organizations to get the message to Victoria that the Provincial management of habitat and wildlife needs adequate funding, support for science based management and a long term funding commitment.

As far as I know there was zero reference to BC's wild life and habitat issues during today's Throne Speech. We're going to have to be pretty damn loud if we want to be heard over the din of the housing crisis and affordable day care. I'm not saying affordable housing and day-care are not important - but in my mind, a 2018 forecast of less than 200 steelhead returning to the Thompson and 50 to the Chilcotin is a crisis of equal importance. The Thompson had 7000 steelhead only 40 years ago. That's a little more than one generation...

Don't get me started on Southern Caribou or the crash of our moose populations.

BC spends 7$ per person per year on wildlife and habitat management - Idaho spends 65$.
    My question was not if they are anti road or anti development. It was are they against motorized recreation on crown land?
    Ie-snowmobiles, dirtbikes, quads, 4x4s.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    My question was not if they are anti road or anti development. It was are they against motorized recreation on crown land?
    I'll be going to one of their meetings next week and joining them. I don't believe that they are "against motorized recreation on crown land? Ie-snowmobiles, dirtbikes, quads, 4x4s." I do believe that they are for controlled "motorized recreation on crown land" and I wholeheartedly support that. We must learn to put wildlife ahead of our personal interests or preferences if we want to have healthy, sustainable, and huntable populations in the future.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    I'll be going to one of their meetings next week and joining them. I don't believe that they are "against motorized recreation on crown land? Ie-snowmobiles, dirtbikes, quads, 4x4s." I do believe that they are for controlled "motorized recreation on crown land" and I wholeheartedly support that. We must learn to put wildlife ahead of our personal interests or preferences if we want to have healthy, sustainable, and huntable populations in the future.
    I agree with this!

Brez. I would certainly agree, the focus is fish and wildlife. Some good work being done in the Kootenay around fish and accessing fishing locations. Also very involved in determining a new wildlife management model, with a strong focus on habitat, and many other factors that are influenced by various Gov policies, which become barriers to sound wildlife management.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Brez. I would certainly agree, the focus is fish and wildlife. Some good work being done in the Kootenay around fish and accessing fishing locations. Also very involved in determining a new wildlife management model, with a strong focus on habitat, and many other factors that are influenced by various Gov policies, which become barriers to sound wildlife management.
    Can you elaborate more on what you mean by many other factors that are influenced by various Gov policies, which become barriers to sound wildlife management.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Squamch I don't think I could answer your question any better than Brez - he summed up the sentiment very well.