Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pint Night for BC Backcountry Hunters and Anglers This THURSDAY

Pint Night for BC Backcountry Hunters and Anglers This THURSDAY

Hi All - thought I'd share this here. The Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC Chapter is working hard to expand across the province - and I'm the point man for the Vancouver Region.

For the first BC BHA pint night, I've reserved the Common Table at Brown's Social House in Burnaby. Address is: 1908 Rosser Ave, Burnaby, BC V5C 0E1

I picked Burnaby because I'm guessing it's central to most and hopefully no one has to drive over more than one bridge. We can hash out the best area for follow up Pint Nights on Thursday.

I'll be there for 6:30 PM and let's get rolling for 7:00.

http://brownssocialhouse.com/brentwood/

Pretty simple agenda:

• Quick introductions - name, where you're from
    • Quick chat about the BC BHA for new potential members
    • Short chat about some recent news from the Kootenay's team
    • Throw some ideas around what we'd like to accomplish as a group:
      • Ideas around influencing our provincial government
      • Ideas around boots on the ground volunteering

• Quick chat about where and when for our next meeting

Feel free to email me: mark(at)rdcfinehomes.com or call/text six04-815-9678 for more information.

Please visit our website:

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/british_columbia_bha

Anyone from the Sea to Sky feel free to reach out to me and we can set up a carpool.

Hope to see you there!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pint Night for BC Backcountry Hunters and Anglers This THURSDAY

With all the recent political stuff regarding hunting going on I've been wanting to get a little more active. BHA is on of the organizations that has me interested since from what I can tell they are doing good things in the USA. I've been curious about what they do in Canada, sounds like a good opportunity to find out if I should invest some time and money into BHA.
    I have a new baby only a few days old at home this week so it might be tough to make this one but I will try.

Is BHA anti motorized recreation on crown land?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Good question. I was wondering the same thing.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Yes I believe they are not sure to what degree.

Anyone want to car pool from Chilliwack area?

I can't attend but I think it is important to look at influencing the government and winning at the public relations battle. I encourage you to think about how we as hunters as a whole can spread the positive news about conservation, our historic and ongoing contributions to conservation, and how to keep that alive in the public realm. Sounds like an awesome evening, but given my geography, not doable! Have a good one!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Here’s something from their website;

Responsible Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Use and Management
    Hunters and anglers know that the hike in is usually worth the pack out. Consequently, it’s imperative that motorized vehicle use is balanced with maintaining habitat and non-motorized recreational opportunities. Sportsmen are acutely aware of how illegal off-highway vehicle abuse scars the land, pollutes water, spreads invasive weeds, displaces wildlife and violates the solitude of the backcountry. BHA supports reasonable regulations – and swift enforcement – that encourage responsible OHV use while addressing the needs of fish and wildlife, the security of their habitat and quality hunting and fishing experiences for the general public.

Thanks for the replies guys - and the questions.

Regarding anti-motorized question: The BHA is not anti-road or anti-development but we are concerned about road density, habitat fragmentation and how they affect the long term integrity and sustainability of our public lands and waters. We support a development approach that applies an appropriate value to wild life and wild places.

It's clear that in many parts of the province the number one public issue at hand is the on-going crisis around habitat and wildlife (like the Kootenays). The BHA is working collaboratively with many like minded organizations to get the message to Victoria that the Provincial management of habitat and wildlife needs adequate funding, support for science based management and a long term funding commitment.

As far as I know there was zero reference to BC's wild life and habitat issues during today's Throne Speech. We're going to have to be pretty damn loud if we want to be heard over the din of the housing crisis and affordable day care. I'm not saying affordable housing and day-care are not important - but in my mind, a 2018 forecast of less than 200 steelhead returning to the Thompson and 50 to the Chilcotin is a crisis of equal importance. The Thompson had 7000 steelhead only 40 years ago. That's a little more than one generation...

Don't get me started on Southern Caribou or the crash of our moose populations.

BC spends 7$ per person per year on wildlife and habitat management - Idaho spends 65$.

What really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the BC BHA is that the guys here in Cranbrook that run it or the main group of guys seem to think its their way or the highway. ONLY pack in backcountry hunting/fishing is the way to go. That really irks me as all methods of hunting/fishing should be supported. Not just what they feel is the best view on it. One member feel we should only manage for trophy hunting... that's it. Well I am sorry to say if they manage it correctly there will be plenty of game to trophy hunt and plenty of game for all the other guys as well. So for that reason I have been hesitant to support this group, just based off the guys who are the core members here and their views. The local group here has been calling for more road closures and access restrictions to suit their needs it seems like from where I am sitting. And I am not against closures or access restrictions at all, just as long as the reasoning isn't so you can have your favorite honey hole non-motorized.

I hope not all BCBHA chapters are this elitist and they help in the fight going forward. I used to think this would be a group worth of my money, but now not so much.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.